The ricer issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 07:23 AM
elgiblito
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The ricer issue

Ok, gentlemen this is a test run for the non-topic group above:

How do you feel about a hi-po ranger that is A; four or six, built for road or track, and capable of beating these F/F little imports. Does it become a ricer itself? would the owner you loves america and fords just become a punk? Would he/she be any less of a person for burnin rice because they were raised on meat and potatoes . Later i will note that v-8s need not offer because it would not be meeting them @ their level and beating them,
And specifically as far as the visual effects go that would all be one's taste.
I've heard many negative things from friends already so more wont hurt,but for those of you who with completely stock trucks who think its bad enough just because it comes with a payment book and a warrenty,tread lightly

Old 08-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have to be honest with you...I don't understand the question.

Old 08-04-2004, 08:25 AM
elgiblito
Freshman User
The fast and the furious craze has hit the U.S And Im looking for input on using a 2wd ranger of equal calabre? to show man cannot live on rice alone, or Im just a bone head who enjoys wuppin the crap out of a cavalier with more money in plastic and spoiler than I have into my whole truck?

Old 08-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My definition of a ricer is someone who installs a fart-can exhaust and puts a N. O. S. sticker on their "import" and refers to those things as "performance mods".

Old 08-04-2004, 09:01 AM
elgiblito
Freshman User
That is hillarious,where can i get those?,just kidding.That is the poser edition of what i speak but many do have a little somethin-somethin under the faux carbon fiber and stickers,Oooooo stickers

feel free to talk trash

Example: check my gallery add 16"-17" rims,performance tires,REAL fogger IE nitrous express,omit adding a fart can for real 2-1/4 exhaust,shake well, place next to tuned import and allow ford to eat alive for 12 sec or until done.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:09 AM
99xlt4.04x4
Posting Guru
You dont need to soup it all up just to beat cavaliers and civics. I whoop all over 'em with my stock 4 liter 4 wheel drive ranger. I killed a V-6 camaro, I murdered a Toyota celica GT, a few focus', civics (evev with the fart cans and stickers, lol). I would try to find a 2x4 with the 4.0 engine and a 5 speed. (probably only available with a supercab) You will already have a truck capable of eating rice. Ad a few bolt ons like a chip exhaust and intake. (or turbo(s) or supercharger if you have the money) But dont do all the ricer crap. You know, the stickers and neons and vinyl graphics. I guess ita all up to you though. I mena if its done cleanly, it CAN look alright, but i personally like the clean look.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:16 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is nothing wrong with the tuner crowd(ricers) other than maybe arrogance. They are doing the samething I did when I was a kid except cheap cars in my day all have V8's. First truck, 57 chevy with a 283 and class packs. Sounded mean but really wasn't.

Can you take a Ranger and compete, yes but its going to take more to do so. You are giving up at least 1000lbs and in many cases twice that. Lowered, tubed and a super charger with No2 and you might surprise a few. The big thing though is to make it a sleeper, don''t let them know what you got. It's what I'm doing with my 77. For now a beat up 4x4 truck except the drive train and engine. If not for the exhaust note you would never guess.

Last edited by tmyers; 08-04-2004 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:32 AM
elgiblito
Freshman User
you are correct and I appreciate the good word on regularly feeding your truck a balenced diet of garbage but I feel that the 4.0 Is far to superior in quality and tech nology. and since this actually a practice run its prob in the wrong forum yet Ive caught alot of heat about transforming this otherwise grandpa truck 2.3l to a smooth,clean truck that can hand a tuned import its ars while still being in front of it.
Mind you when i bought it, It couldn't get out of its own way BIGTIME.
But Ive grown attached to it (Like every other ford Ive owned) and would like to figure out what people like your self would think of this whole ball of wax.

Old 08-04-2004, 10:30 AM
88blkranger
Senior User
i purchased an 88 ranger std cab for $1495 i traded in my old ragged but still running strong 79 courier. this thing has an early 2.3 in it i think and man i'll get out of it's own way with a quickness. i followed my neighbor kid to the emissions place. he has an 89 probe with the 2.2 turbo... I pulled up next to him at the light and he said "let's go" ....i had the truck 2 days and didn't want to blow it so i went easy, but not too easy on the trottle .....WOW!! that tubor kicked in and he was gone......................I've heard of guys planting a turbo on thier 2.3 with great results.... you cant hear the tubro till it spools up. but, by that time the other guy is too involved in trying not to miss a shift then he sees your blur then tail lights. i can't wait to build a 2.3T for my truck... my truck pulls hard when i shift from 3rd to 4th and tap the gas... i can acctually chirp 2nd...couldn't even chirp 1st in my old truck. but any way.... Yea more power to you just keep it clean like an bone stock ranger and when he finally pulls up next to you as you finishing lighting up your smoke with a dumbfounded look on his face you and look at him and turn the corner....

sorry for the long reply but i love the 2.3 anad want to go turbo. gotta luv this thing rangers ROCK!!!!!

Old 08-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Come on guy's, get real. You're talking about a gutless 2.3 liter motor. Sure, Turbo'ed and it can be a wonderful motor, but stock? You've gotta be joking. Heck, I cannot even merge onto the highway with out turning off the air conditioner, no this is pathetic. Also, in one of your posts, you mention "place next to tuned import and allow ford to eat alive for 12 sec or until done. "... you expect to turn a 12 second 1/4 with only nitrous but still turning these heavy 17" wheels you speak of?? Trust me, you will need alot more than just nitrous to spit out a 12 second 1/4 in a 2.3L. If you're lucky, you'll run maybe 14-and some change... but you're certainly not going to turn a 12.

Turbo it, that will impress me. I've seen alot come out of those 2.3T's. Trust me, with this alone and perhaps chip, exhaust, and intake, you'll be able to beat any of the ricer's you really want too, until you get up to your really fast ones, s2000 or whatever. Better yet, get yourself a 4.0 (E code, 205hrs./248ft/lb.) and supercharge it, I think whipple makes one.

STan

Old 08-04-2004, 11:11 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by elgiblito
you are correct and I appreciate the good word on regularly feeding your truck a balenced diet of garbage but I feel that the 4.0 Is far to superior in quality and tech nology. and since this actually a practice run its prob in the wrong forum yet Ive caught alot of heat about transforming this otherwise grandpa truck 2.3l to a smooth,clean truck that can hand a tuned import its ars while still being in front of it.
Mind you when i bought it, It couldn't get out of its own way BIGTIME.
But Ive grown attached to it (Like every other ford Ive owned) and would like to figure out what people like your self would think of this whole ball of wax.
If this was directed at me, please do want you want. I like trucks in all flavors and think this is what makes them great. In many ways I wish I would of bought a 2 wheel drive ranger, non-edge. I would slap a 2 inch drop on it in a sec and build the engine to do just what you are talking about. This is coming from someone who has grand kids.

Regardless of what others say do what you want. First and foremost make yourself happy. Everyone will have an opinion but only yours count. Well maybe your wifes if you are married.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Vin 95
Elder User
I thought tuner competition was to see who could waste the most money on stupid crap.like x-boxes,geeky wagon wheels,and 4-wheel hydrolics on a honda.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tmyers
Regardless of what others say do what you want. First and foremost make yourself happy. Everyone will have an opinion but only yours count. Well maybe your wifes if you are married.

My opinion is worth what you pay for it...

Stan

Old 08-04-2004, 11:53 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Vin 95
I thought tuner competition was to see who could waste the most money on stupid crap.like x-boxes,geeky wagon wheels,and 4-wheel hydrolics on a POS honda.
Does this mean my 77 is a tuner truck, its got $7k worth of stereo gear in it.

But if you look at this crowd it is just amazing what they do with these little engines. Pound for pound they are getting power out of them that we only dreamed about in the 60's, 70's.

Old 08-04-2004, 12:47 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Try as I might I can't help but respond to this. Yes, I own a Ranger p/u, but I also own an Integra. In the "import scene" my car is not all sticker'ed out and looking ghetto so it is not considered "rice". If the truck guys wish to call it that just because it is foreign, lowered, and has a full stainless exhaust, then so be it. But I ask you, what is the difference between my car's exhaust and someone who puts Flowmasters on their truck/SUV?

In my eyes, if you waste you’re time modifying a truck with the intention of trying to beat cars (sport compacts or not) you making an even bigger mistake than so caller "ricers". Trucks have a purpose, and that is to either haul/tow or goes off road. Using it on the street for anything else is just stupid. You want to modify it... then fine, modify it to do its job better. No matter how many people will argue different, it is not a "car", nor will it ever be. Once these mods are done most trucks can no longer haul/tow or go off road like they did before. Dumbest thing I have ever seen is a 4-wheel drive truck/SUV with low profile sport tires (next in line is the guy who thinks he needs to commute to work in his duelly). I have got news for you; no matter what you do to your truck it is still going to be a 4500+lbs death missile. Sorry for the rant but I call it like I see it.

Oh, and for you guys with your 4.0Ls.... when it comes to my Integra I have never, nor will I ever loose to a truck. And incase you are wondering, no, I am not 17 I am in my mid-30s.

Quick Reply: The ricer issue