Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

94 Explorer Rear Wiper Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 10:19 AM
Traumwind
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I am hoping to avoid major wire tracing work. My rear wiper will not go on when I turn on the switch. The switch is also used to spray wiper fluid on the rear window and that part works. The rear wiper motor has been taken out and tested and it works fine (fairly new). Has anyone else had this problem? Does this sound like a switch problem or (yuck!) a wiring problem? Any help/thoughts appreciated.

Old 12-05-2001, 07:53 PM
jtucek
New User

First check the fuse. If ok, check for voltage after the switch between the switch and wiper motor. If voltage is 12V, then most likely is the motor; if not, probably the switch.

Good Luck.

Old 12-05-2001, 10:26 PM
Traumwind
New User

Thanks for your help. The electrical schematic in the Haynes manual for the rear wiper appears to show what looks like a secondary cutoff switch, but the local parts department stated nothing like that exists. Didn't think I could trust the schematic after that. Thanks again. :-)

Old 12-08-2001, 08:11 PM
rowiebowie
Freshman User

I've got the same syptoms you describe on my '98 4dr. XLT. Haven't done anything about it yet, but I'll let you know what happens.

I believe I recall an earlier posting about motors having some sort of scondary internal swith (or whatever it's called) that starts the motor from it's "parked" position and returns it there when turned off. Anyway, I hear a faint click when turned on but it doesn't budge and fuse it o.k. if that gives anyone an idea.

Thanks, Roy

Old 12-10-2001, 08:41 PM
98_explorer_owner
New User

My 98 Explorer XLT does the same thing! But, if I turn on the wiper
and manually wiggle the wiper arm, it starts working. It stays operational if I use it once every couple of weeks. If I do not use it for longer periods of time, it needs wiggled again. It has been doing this since it was one year old.

Old 12-10-2001, 10:14 PM
Traumwind
New User

Hmmm, I did try moving the wiper arm and the motor 'insisted' on pushing the wiper arm down in its 'off' position. We will be checking the wiring for voltage as suggested earlier. My gut is now telling me that it is the switch. I use the switch frequently as the 94 does not have an intermittent rear wiper. The wiper motor is fairly new so I am less inclined to go with that. I will post the findings.

Does the 98 have the intermittent rear wiper?

Old 12-11-2001, 10:57 PM
98_explorer_owner
New User

Yes, mine does. It has not acted how you described yours does.
Good luck in trouble shooting....

Old 01-14-2002, 03:47 PM
FordFool
Junior User

Traumwind, I don't know why you would not trust the schematic. It looks pretty good to me. There is a Liftgate Wiper Diable Switch between the switch on the dash and the motor (somewhere in the liftgate). This is a Ford part and is there to prevent damage to rear glass or motor if the glass is open when you try to use the wiper. With that said, this is how I would troubleshoot.

Power to washer means fuse and circuit breaker both good. At the wiper motor should be 3 wires, Black, Black with Pink and Red. The black is ground, the red is hot (12V) with key in Accesory or Run. The Black with Pink is only hot with dash switch on, and disable switch closed (glass closed). Check for 12V hot on Black w/Pink with key on, dash switch on. If 0V then probably is the Disable Switch.

Next check the dash switch. With key on, 12 V hot White wire from switch. If 0 V, it's the dash switch.

The red hot lead at the motor is there to get the motor to the "park" position after you throw the dash switch to off.

Old 01-20-2002, 07:14 AM
Traumwind
New User

I did not trust the schematic as the dealer stated there was no switch in between the switch in the dashboard and the wiper. :-X23

Unfortunately, I do not have a garage and I still have not had a chance to take the dash apart (plus too cold and I do not want to crack any of the plastic). I am printing and saving suggestions and will get this done asap. Dirty back window is no help in driving!

Old 01-20-2002, 07:16 AM
Traumwind
New User

to the folks for posting suggestions. MUCH APPRECIATED!

Old 01-21-2002, 10:40 AM
kevins
New User

Don't take your dash apart yet!!
There is a switch in the rear hatch mechanism that prevents the wiper operation when the window is open. You will have to remove the interior panel on the hatch and either remove or replace the switch. It is located just inside of where the catch rod for the glass latches into the hatch. Just be sure that if you don't replace it, that you don't run the wiper with the window open as you can damage the wiper arm, motor, glass, etc...

Old 01-21-2002, 11:51 AM
Traumwind
New User

You have save me LOADS of time in trying to figure out where the hatch switch was for the rear windshield wiper. (Remember, the dealer told me there wasn't one! ) I will be happy to
not have to pull the dash apart--here's hoping!)

Fortunately, I am no stranger to the hatch cover removal (I even know about the screw hidden by the pop-up lock button
) It is supposed to be warm here tomorrow, so I will pop it off after work and remove the switch to see if that works. Plausible, as many of the components in the hatch have rusted/seized up and have had to be replaced or smothered in good quality grease.

I will post findings and may have a dash windshield wiper switch for sale!

Thanks again!

Old 01-21-2002, 12:31 PM
kevins
New User

Don't always believe your dealer (or Ford ). Once a car is a few years old it seems they want to forget all about them.

Old 01-27-2002, 03:26 PM
Traumwind
New User

Thanks to some good weather and some great online help, MY REAR WIPER NOW WORKS!!!!!!!

It was the disable switch. I unplugged it from the latch area and ran a jumper wire between the connections and the wiper worked. It looked to be a bit of a problem trying to easily get it unplugged from the other end so I just cut off the plug and attached both wires sealing them with an outdoor electrical tape to ensure a permanent 'on' position.

I now have an extra rear wiper dash switch. . .

Old 01-27-2002, 04:41 PM
squirt913
New User