Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

failed drivers side power window on 1992 Explorer

Old 01-28-2002, 10:54 PM
louge1953
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my drivers side power window will not go down with out help and will not drive back up with out help either. I have read on other sites that this is s generic design problem with the motor gear box where there plastic pieces that over time get chewed up and the motor will still run but not be able to drive the window up or down any further. How do I remove the motor to make a repair on it . another words is the motor mounted with screws or is it riveted on ??? If riveted,,,, do I just simply dril out the rivets and drop the motor out to do a bench level repair . then when reinstalling how do I re-attach the motor do the door structure.?? Does anyone have pictures or sketches of the layout inside the door frame for my reference. LJ

Old 01-30-2002, 02:50 AM
DeagleDave
New User

I have had the same problems. Actually with all four windows. Yes you are right the bearings in the motor are plastic and they get more than chewed up they desintegrate. And the motor is riveted and screwed to the door frame, so just take off the door take out bolts or screws then drill the rivets, take motor apart and replace the bearings. If you have a grinder you can cut yourself some metal bearings that will fit, very easily.
Another thing that can happen is your motor can fail. This happened on two of the four windows in my explorer. Make sure that before you disconnect the motor from the wiring you test it to make sure the motor is ok. If it doesn't turn...time to replace, otherwise just the bearings. Oh bye the way make sure you get a magnetic screw driver when putting the motors back in. It sounds cheesey but i dropped a screw down in the frame/window area and still can't find it. I can hear it movin around each time the window goes up and down. Also if possible have a magnetic retrieval tool as well. Those screws are small and fall very easily. If ya need anything else lemme know.

-Dave

Old 01-30-2002, 05:31 AM
louge1953
New User

Hi Dave, thanks for replying and sharing your experience with this same problem. Were you serious, did you really mean to remove the door fromm the car to work on it or did you mean to say, remove the door panel and peel back the plastic moisture barrier? Secondly, just how is the motor mounted? is it actually riveted to the door frame? I have read and heard that you have to drill half inch or larger holes where the metal is dimpled to get a screw driver or other driver like a socket to unscrew or unbolt the motor/gear assembly from the window mechanism! Do drive the window full up before removing the window? Do I have to worry about the window dropping down when I remove the motor? sorry for all the dumb questions!! Do you have any sketches of how this darn thing is mounted for 1992 Explorer XLT and shop manual instructions for doing the repair that you can email to me at Louge1953(No Email Addresses In Posts!)? thanks again for the quick reply and help. LJ in TX

Old 01-30-2002, 08:33 AM
DeagleDave
New User

Sorry I meant remove the door frame i guess i forgot to type that word. Also you will have to peel back a decent portion of the moisture barrier, but don't rip it apart you will want to put it back with some type of adhesive, i recommend spray adhesive. Do it with the window down or the second that motor is out the glass will drop like a rock. And i don't remember what i used.. but half inch bit sounds about right for the rivets and just like you read they are the dimpled area. You'll see what i'm talking about once you get the door panel off. THere should be some large holes in the bottom of your door frame, look up in there if you can and feel around with yoru hands to get a good idea of where everything is. You'll see what I mean. Sorry I don't have any sketches, I had a mechanic friend show me how to do it, so all I can do is explain it as best I can.

Old 01-31-2002, 05:41 AM
louge1953
New User

thanks again DAve for the quick feedback and info. Has anyone else on the forum had experience with repairing the drivers side power window? and can share the details of what it took to get the motor/gear assembly out to make an on the bench repair. Please share your insights and lessons learned for doing this job on a 1992 Explorer. thanks LJ in TX

Old 01-31-2002, 12:36 PM
elitper
New User

Search this Thread