1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How many miles before cleaning air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 01:30 PM
BajaB
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles before cleaning air filter?

I know most of you don't run K&N air filters, but I currently am running a K&N and wanted to see how many miles you suggest between recharges. I have had the filter in for about 8000 miles with about an hour of dirt road driving. I am heading to baja for about 10 hours of off-road driving and I am wondering if I should recharge now or when I get back.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:44 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would seriously consider getting rid of that thing and getting a better filtration system before going out to baja. If you don't have time to replace it with a different filter, at the very least make darn sure you have that thing completely sealed up. A lot of folks here (myself included) had/have problems with getting the K&N's to seal properly with the stock airbox. The other thing I noticed with mine was since the turbo sucks in so much air, it needed to be cleaned more often, so if you stick with that filter, I'd clean it now and let it get a little dirty again before going out there so it filters a little better. Just my .02.

Terry

Old 07-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Going to Baja? In dusty conditions check/clean/change the air cleaner on an as needed basis. If that means daily then so be it.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:19 AM
BajaB
New User
What alternatives are out there? I need increased air intake to go with chip and exhaust, but I need extra protection from dust as well. What do I check to see if dust is getting through? Also, can anyone answer my first question....In normal driving circumstances, how many miles do you go between cleaning your air filter? 15,000??? Thanks for your opinions, information.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:28 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Back in the old days before I bough my AIS, I would clean and re-charge my K&N every oil change (3-4K miles). Really, what does it take to do? 15 minutes?

Old 07-30-2004, 10:44 AM
BajaB
New User
The AIS looks great to me for driving off-road. I doesn't seem to increase air flow, though. What are your experiences with its performance?

Old 07-30-2004, 11:03 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did somebody say airflow??

try one of these...

Old 07-30-2004, 11:33 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Performance will depend upon your chip or tune. I would have to say that the AIS flows less then an open air set up like Cookie's.
Filtration is what's key in your case with going to Baja etc. I'm on a lot of construction sites, etc. here in AZ, NM and NV so I was willing to give up a little flow for 99.9 filtration.
Your call, AIS does not void warranty, but if you're chipped, you have none anyway.

Old 07-30-2004, 11:37 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
This response for the AIS was from a DieselStop thread dated 7/1/03:

Hello Folks, Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jordan Flagstad, I am a Senior Automotive Engineer at Donaldson Company in Bloomington, MN. Donaldson designed and manufactures the new AIS for the Ford 7.3 liter Turbo Diesel pickups that looks to be the focus of discussion along this thread and a couple others in this forum.I was asked to join this forum to act as a technical laison (Talk Shop) with you folks concerning the new AIS for the 7.3 liter Power Stroke. I must say, I graciously accepted this assignment as being a turbo diesel pickup owner myself I think I share a lot of interests here.OK, enough about me....Let's talk about this new AIS. With this new system, you are putting "Big Rig" performance under the hood of your pickup. This new system offers 3x more dust load, lower restriction and newer technology than the original system. Some of the concerns / questions I have read in this forum are:* Is the restriction of this new AIS higher than the standard system? The answer to this is no, the new systems restriction numbers are considerably lower than the standard system.* Does this system provide a longer service life than the standard system? Yes, the new AIS has a service life on the order of 3 times the dust loading capacity of the standard system.* What is the filtering efficiency of the new AIS? The filtering efficiency of the new AIS is 99.9%+. The system will load approximately 900 grams (just about 2lbs.) of dust to the trip of the Filterminder. With a 99.9% efficiency rating this would mean that less than 1 gram of dust would pass through the AIS to the clean air side. Competing with this new AIS on the market today, are various aftermarket induction systems that utilize washable filters. I have tested some of these filters and found their filtering efficiencies to be as low as 70%. This would mean on a 900 gram dust load, 270 grams (just over 1/2 lb.) of dust will be ingested into the engine. Now this would be devastating to any engine and more so to an engine with a 100,000+ rpm balanced turbo charger.* It looks like the Filterminder trips at a lower pressure, Is this true? This Filterminder is specially calibrated for this system. The Filterminder is calibrated to trip when the restriction at the outlet of the cover reaches 25" H2O.

Old 07-30-2004, 11:44 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Old 07-30-2004, 11:51 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
The Ford AIS and Tymar both use Donaldson filters with the efficiency rating posted by Heatstroked. If you're under warranty, I'd recommend the AIS so you don't have warranty issues.

Old 07-30-2004, 11:52 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
I'm not going to bash the AIS since I don't have one, and I certainly do not want to start yet another filter was, but I do have a couple of huge problems with that post.

Jump on the MSN Stu and I'll tell you all about it.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:28 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cookie88
I'm not going to bash the AIS since I don't have one, and I certainly do not want to start yet another filter was, but I do have a couple of huge problems with that post.

Jump on the MSN Stu and I'll tell you all about it.
With my post? I thought it was rather neutral. Please tell me where it wasn't.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:30 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
No John, not to worry............Cookie is beating me up off line.........I'll take a few punches for you....but you will owe me...............hahahaha

Old 07-30-2004, 12:41 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
With my post? I thought it was rather neutral. Please tell me where it wasn't.
no, sorry for the confusion, I type slow.

Quick Reply: How many miles before cleaning air filter?