1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Newbie to forum - help with ball joints replacing

Old 07-29-2004, 08:46 AM
TonyC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie to forum - help with ball joints replacing

Hi everyone !
Been a while since i have had to work on a vehicle. I recently purchased a 93 ranger xlt 2wd long bed with some high miles for dump runs etc. Wouldn't pass inspection for bad ball joints and brakes. Brakes i'm fairly confident on replacing with the rotors, but i've never done ball joints before. I did a search but too may to look through. Could anyone point me to a link for detailed steps to the replacing of them for both upper and lower and what you think the knowledge level would be to perform the job, or what the cost would be to have an independent mechanic do the job.

Thanks ahead for any help !
Tony

Old 07-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Critterhunter
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll probably save $200-$300 in labor by doing it yourself. I have a 94 2wheel 2.3l and early 90s Rangers are known to be hard on ball joints because most of the weight is on the front end. When I did mine a few years ago I think the price ranged from $30 to $50 for ball joints per side. Do yourself a favor and by the premium brand as you don't want to have to replace them every few years. I never did balljoints before either but had a friend and a Haynes manual to help me along. It's not real hard once you know what you are doing. Read the Haynes or Chilton manual on it, and refer to a friend who can clear up any confusions in the instructions. You'll need a ball joint pressing tool (cheap at Harbor Tool and Frieght). It's a good time to do the front brakes as you have to take the rotors off anyway to get to the ball joints. I think you have to remove the dust shield behind the rotor too. Not hard. From what I remember the spindle comes off with the ball joints still attached once you remove a few bolts. Put the spindle in a vise and press them out with the tool. Before getting started on all this try this trick...stick the new ball joints in the freezer for a few hours and take them out only when you are ready to press them on. The cold will shrink the metal slightly, making them easier to press in. Might want to greese them a bit too to aid in pressing them in. clean the hole they press into with some steel wool to make sure there is no dirt or such to bind them. Oh, and on the upper (?) ball joint when you are removing the nut and such you'll see a metal sleeve with a slot in it's side that I think screws off once the nut is removed. They say this requires a special tool to remove but we just sprayed it up with PB Blastic and used a chisel and hammer placed in the slot to unscrew it. I think it adjusts camber or something. Note how it was sitting (I think it's odd shapped) and try to put it back in the same position, though you'll still need a front end alignment once all is done.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:36 AM
j wright
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you remove the spindles the coil spring will jump out and do a serious number on you!!!!!! Buy or borrow a spring compressor you will not be sorry I've seen what those coil springs can do!!!!!!!!!
John

Old 07-31-2004, 01:14 PM
Critterhunter
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, can't remember but the ball joints come out with something...probably the spindle. You then put them in a vise to press out. But, the front springs on a 94 Ranger aren't going to come out when you do whatever it is you have to to remove the ball joints. I just did the rear radius arm bushing on my 94 2.3 and I had to remove the spring in the process of replacing it. You just jack up the truck, put another jack under the spring, remove the lower nut on the spring cap and whatever else you need to, then just lower the lower jack and it will fall right out. Don't go by my memory as it's been shot lately. Read the book, but the springs (at least on my 94) don't get involved in replacing ball joints.

Search this Thread