Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

fuel gage malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 07:46 PM
robertadam
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel gage malfunction

Own 93 explorer. Fuel gage just quit. Reads between empty and quarter full when engine is off. Reads below empty when engine is on. Fuse is OK and tank is near full. Any suggestions for trouble shooting?

Also, had trucked shipped to maui from seattle two years ago. Radio is factory equipment (standard for limited model). Since I picked up at dock, loud POP sound thru speakers is heard when volume button is pushed. One push one POP, two pushes two POPS are heard, etc. Everything ok after volume set. Also, noticed recently(about same time as fuel gage problem noticed) control of sound and balance/fade to speakers not working correctly. Sometimes one speaker or more will quit working when bass or volume is adjusted. If everthing adjusted to orginal factory settings, everything in radio system works just fine. I pull the fuse on radio to see if fuel gage would start working but it did not. It seems like this should be separate problem (different electrical circuits) but it seems strange it started at same time.

before this explorer I owned a bronco II which I just loved to drive. After many great years it started to have electrical problems which where traced to bare wires in all wire bundles (insulation appeared to rub off over years due to engine vibration). I hope the above problems are not an indication of the start of a similar problem.

Old 02-13-2002, 01:39 PM
im2goodatlax4u
New User
fuel gage malfunction

I have the same problem with the guage, ok here we go, the gas tank measureing system is like a toilet bowl, theres a little ball filled AIR, hooked to a rod thats ooked to a measuring thingy, the ball has a hole in it and is filled with gas, if u ever run out of gas and stall on the road, when u fill up later ur guage will work cause the gas ran out of it, to fix it u have to drop the tank and replace the ball. I work on my car and i dont want to even attempt that, so instead of paying 600 to fix it i just use my trip meter and reset it when i fill up, i usually fill up when it hits 210miles. The speaker problem is just going to happen, its your amp turing on and power surging to the speakers just make sure you dont put the volume up to high or the surge will blow the speakers, Hope this helped you...Nick

Old 02-13-2002, 02:06 PM
zulu
New User
fuel gage malfunction