'66 Ranchero, what is what with it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Pam's Red
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'66 Ranchero, what is what with it?

HI, I am looking at a '66 Ranchero, 289 w/ auto trans. Having looked back through many months of threads, about all I could find was it is a hybred year, front Falcon, rear Fairlane. (both cars I have owned and worked on) The one I am looking at will need some immediate sheet metal work, like floors and wheelwells on the bed.
Now the questions: How hard is it to find the sheet metal? I looked at a couple of websites (referred by the threads here) and found almost nothing. Are the front body parts true Falcon? Which model is the suspension, front and rear? Is the interior Falcon? Are there front disc brake conversions available? (I checked through PST and it isn't real sure) Can the auto be changed over to a floor shift manual? (that would be very nice) Are the parts available to change over from auto to manual from suppliers?
No problem with the 289, one of my favorite engines (a real nostalgia trip). Besides I have a 351W that needs a new home someday.
Any help is much appreciated!!!
Thank you
Pam

Old 08-30-2004, 09:05 AM
rodbender
Junior User
66 is a year I'm not real familiar with on the Ranchero. However, if it has a Falcon frontend, it's got the Falcon running gear. If it's Fairlane, then... reproduction sheetmetal will be next to non-existant( Hemmings Motor News- they have everything in there but you may pay the price) Maybe floor pans are reproduced. The rest you'd have to make yourself or hire someone to do it. Front discs can be had via Granada swap. Those years already had V-8s so trans mounts can be found or made. Clutch pedals would be for whatever frontend is on it. 'Hope this helps

Old 10-02-2004, 11:28 PM
groundrocket
New User
I have a 66 Ranchero that I picked up in Colorado 2 years ago. Great for runs to home depot, etc... The front steering components are the same as in the 67 Mustang. I haven't double checked the spindles to see if they have the same taper, but the power steering unit is identical and like the mustang ones prone to leaks that develop every year or two. You might want to check your local Mustang resto shop to see if they have a source for the floor pans - you will have to pay tax, but might not have to pay shipping charges...
email me if you have any questions or are having trouble finding parts...

Kirk