Replace bed or just side panel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 08:31 AM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace bed or just side panel?

I's like to just replace the driver's bedside panel on my 97 F150 extended cab styleside. but others tell me to replace the entire bed. Cost is the factor here (I'm on Social Security only). I can remove the existing and plug weld the ends, and use adhesive on the rest (If this is acceptable procedure). What year beds interchange with my 97 6 footer? I figured I could find a white side (lots here in south Texas) to save paint cost. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2004, 06:59 AM
skips69
Senior User
Collision damage I am assuming (nothing rusts in Texas does it?). If you're willing to spend all that time removing your bed to properly drill out all those spot welds (and reattach a new bed side and repaint), I'd instead look for a complete used bed. With your salt free environment, and several years to interchange from, I'd think you could find a complete bed that is solid. And, the price of a new bed side is quite high, so landing a complete bed shouldn't cost any more - might even save you some money, if you look and ask around the area. Lot's of these truck's were produced, and Texas should be full of them. I'd just look for a bed, assuming the truck is driveable for the time being..............

Old 07-30-2004, 07:56 AM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
Thanks for the reply

Only rust down here is along the (beautiful) Gulf Coast. The trucl on;y has 26,000 miles, and was basically a gift from an elderly neighbor who shouldn't be driving anymore (three fender benders in a week, non involving other vehicles, and all just cosmetic). The brush guard actually saved the front end, costing just a bumper, grille, surround, and hood (which I pretty much straightened). The whole left side was scraped by barbed wire and trees, but the bed side really took a beating, and is not repairable. Yeah I guess I might gravitate towards another bed. I did look at a bedside that a body shop removed and noted the million spot welds that would have to get drilled, and I have more time than money, plus am a half way competent welder, but unless I found one in my color and saved a lot, I'll go with the bed. My search of salvage yards on the web showed decent beds going from$1200 to $2400, which is why O was interested in what years beds interchange. I believe I can buy a front wrecked PU with the engine and trans gone for a song. Y'know, I was going to plug weld all the dots (just connect the dots!), but this would give me an excuse to but a spot welder to add to my arsenal!

Old 07-30-2004, 11:31 AM
skips69
Senior User
Spot welders are expensive too - so that's more money. I typically see a lot of take-off's around here. Guy's replacing stock beds for utility beds, dump beds, steel flat beds and the like. Junkyards get wrecked truck's all the time, and I'd think a good bed will turn up. If you're hammering out the front end, then I assume fresh paint will be in order, so the additional cost for repainting the new bed won't be a big (extra) expense. If you're willing to do the work involved with replacing a bed side though, a junkyard or bodyshop would be a good bet for you, and would lessen the cost of buying a complete bed in the long run. The extended cabs do have different beds if I remember correctly (I know the topper's that they sell are reg. cab / ext. cab specific). But, as far as years, I would think the 97's through 2003 models would be the same. A google search should tell you for sure though. Just type in "truck bed side" and let the computer show you links to late model suppliers. That information will show up in any parts they sell - years of manufacture.

Good Luck with her'