1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

58 ford heavy duty 292

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 07:50 AM
gut
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
58 ford heavy duty 292

I am new to the forum and have a simple question. Can someone please tell me the firing order for a heavy duty 292 truck engine? Is it the same as a car,,,15486372? I took the heads off and cleaned them up and put a new timing chain and gears and I may have the chain off a tooth or so. It won't start or fire.

Thanks

Bob in Ohio

Old 07-28-2004, 08:07 AM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you take a look at the intake manifold the order is usually cast into one of the runners. As for the timing chain being off a tooth you should have had the dots on the two gears facing each other as you applied them to the crank and cam. If so you shouldn't have a problem there. Take the number one spark plug out and turn the engine over until you bring it up to top dead center for firing the number one cylinder. Check to see where the distributor rotor is pointing and that it is for the number one cylinder. Also check that you have the firing order correct on the cap of the distributor. Also note the direction of rotation and that the wires are in proper sequence for that rotation. Make sure you have voltage at the positive side of the coil when in the starting mode and run mode of the ignition. I hope this gives you a point to start with.

Gear Up

Old 07-28-2004, 08:37 AM
gut
Freshman User
I must have the timing chain off,,,I lined the two dots on the cam sproctet and crank sprocket on the right side and put 12 pins on the chain between them. Had them about 2 oclock and 5 oclock as you face the engine. Got this out of a motor manual for the 292 car engine and figured the truck engine must be the same.
There is no firing order on the intake manifold. I checked the #1 piston on compression and the next should be #5. Next Iturned it over by hand and #5 was not at TDC but the rotor was pointing to #5 wire.

Thanks much

bob

Old 07-28-2004, 09:38 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
You are exactly correct on the gear marks with the 12 links in between. It is the same as the truck. You know the cylinders are # 1-4 on one side and 5-8 on the other?

Kevin

Old 07-28-2004, 09:55 AM
gut
Freshman User
Thanks for the response,,,must have the timing gear off a tooth or so.

bob

Old 07-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Sorry for the misinformation on the cam gears. My experience obviously does not go back far enough. The point Kevin made about the numbering of cylinders is important to note. My son took a 61 T-bird 390 to shop class one year to rebuild and in reassembling the engine he put the pistons in as if they were a GM engine. The shop instructor told him to go and talk to his dad to figure it out. One look at the engine from the bottom end with the rods numbered I new what the problem was. He had number one and eight in correctly and the rest had to be switched. He could actually turn it over by hand then.

Gear Up

Old 07-28-2004, 10:11 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gut
I must have the timing chain off,,,I lined the two dots on the cam sproctet and crank sprocket on the right side and put 12 pins on the chain between them. Had them about 2 oclock and 5 oclock as you face the engine. Got this out of a motor manual for the 292 car engine and figured the truck engine must be the same.
There is no firing order on the intake manifold. I checked the #1 piston on compression and the next should be #5. Next Iturned it over by hand and #5 was not at TDC but the rotor was pointing to #5 wire.

Thanks much

bob
Did you count 12 links or 12 pins? Looking at a picture the lower sprocket should be at 3 oclock and the cam sprocket should be about 3:30 with 12 pins between them with 5 links not touching the gear. That is what my book showes.

Old 07-28-2004, 10:53 PM
gut
Freshman User
I did count 5 links and 1 pin on the cam sprocket and 1 pin on the crank sprocket. Thanks for the response. Tomorrow I will pull the timing cover off and recheck the chain and sprockets. I may pull the engine and put main, rod and cam bearings in it,,,also rings. Should have done that instead of just doing just the top end.

Thanks,

bob

Old 07-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Talked to the machinist that does my engine work and discussed the problem you are having. He told me that some the timing chain and gear sets come with chrome link plates where they are supposed to line up on the two gears and that there are twelve pins between as you had mentioned. Sounds like you are doing what I did with my 150 a month ago. Good luck with the project.

Gear Up