1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

No gas ! Well, none that will run the truck !

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 07:08 AM
55Bubba
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No gas ! Well, none that will run the truck !

Ok,,out with the old running 292, In with the 272. Everything hooked up ! Ready to fire. No gas ! Before you suggest a bean burrito, here's the deal. when changing and putting new hoses on (You should do that right?) I noticed that the line from the tank did not have fuel run out. Took the coil wire off and spun the motor thinking the clear fuel filter would fill up.. No such luck. Thinking is, maybe the fuel pump is bad on the 272. Took the pump off the 292 that I drove into the garage. Still no fuel. Now before you ask, I thought well maybe I didn't have as much in the tank as I thought, so I put in 5 more gallons. Still no fuel. I am getting a little fuel from the tank but not much.

I'm wondering if I might have the lines backwards..Don't believe so but here goes. Line from the tank on the lowest fitting on the pump. That would be the fitting closest to the radiator. HIgher fitting or the rear most goes to the fuel filter and carb. Is this correct?

Any ideas other than a bad fuel pump. I can understand the first one being bad but having driven the truck in and removed the engine and the pump going bad during the swap?

Help !

Bubba Gas free

Old 07-27-2004, 09:53 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bubba, It sounds like maybe the inlet in the tank is plugged. If you still have the old steel tank, it may have that rust goo in it. If you blow a little compressed air in the fuel line, and then it works for a while, that's the prob. Is there some inline fuel filter that may be clogged up? John

Old 07-27-2004, 10:40 AM
StarFox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bubba, I'm thinking the same thing as Jag. Likely the fuel tank isn't lettin' the juice out to the fuel pump. Blow air in the line - like he said.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:37 PM
55Bubba
Senior User
AH Gentlemen, I have blown air into the line in from the pump to the tank. I can hear gas bubbling so I don't think the line is plugged, however, I have had the truck jacked up in the front. I'm wondering if the two old fuel pumps just were worn out or the diaphragms dried out. Most curious

Thanks for your help

Bubba

Old 07-27-2004, 02:22 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Bubba

I checked my 256 Y-Block and the fuel lines are positioned just like you said yours are. Before anybody says anything yes it does run.

It sure sounds like something is plugged.

You might try running a line from a gas can to the fuel pump just to see if the pump is working. Both going bad at the same time is odd but not impossible. I think I would put my money on a dirty fuel tank.

Hope you find the answer soon.

Chuck

Old 07-27-2004, 07:39 PM
55Bubba
Senior User
Thanks Chuck, I'll try and run the pump from a bottle and see if I get anything. Since I changed engines, I wonder if one of my ham handed chevro**t buddies might have pinched off the line somewhere. If so, it looks like a new gas line is in my future.

Bubba

Old 07-28-2004, 04:05 PM
gut
Freshman User
You can check to see if the lines are connected right on the fuel pump by unhooking the one from pump to carb and turning the engine over,,,,should squirt gas. Another way is to hook a vacuum/pressure guage to one of the lines, the one from the tank to pump should show a vacuum and the one from the pump to carb should read a pressure.

bob

Old 07-29-2004, 05:46 AM
boilerbots
Senior User
I had a problem like this once. I turned out I had two bad pumps. One pump had a bad diaphram and then the replacement pump I installed worked for a few minutes and then quit. I took the second pump apart and one of the check valves had popped out of the casting. That just caused the fuel to slosh around in the filter but it never got much up to the carb.

Another possibility is that your carb is plugged or keeping the fuel from getting in. Remove the inlet to the carb and crank to see if fuel will squirt out.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:11 AM
55Bubba
Senior User
Thanks guys, I did remove the fuel line to the filter and cranked but no fuel. So it's off to AutoZone for a replacement pump at $24.99 US. Even if it doesn't fix the problem it will be one less thing to worry about going down the road. An electric might be in my future somewhere but since I decided tt stay Y block, I'd like to keep the OEM style pump

Thanks again, will post results tomorrow

Bubba

Old 07-29-2004, 02:11 PM
kenmaraz
New User
Hello Bubba. I had a similar problem with mine, and was still in the process of changing the gas tank when it occured. After much research I discovered mine was simply caused by the temporary 'duct tape' gas cap, and the fact the tank could not breathe. It couldn't pull fuel out, because the breather gas cap was not yet installed. I simply 'cracked' the duct tape cap and was glad to see the fuel shoot into my glass filter.

Old 07-30-2004, 06:49 AM
55Bubba
Senior User
After a religious experience (crying, gnashing of teeth etc) , I changed the fuel pump and all was well, until the carburetopr developed a leak. No problem< i have a spare. Except the fuel fittings don't match up. Ok got those, except, the fuel filter at the carb was comflicting with the heater hose outlet behind the thermostat neck. No problem, I have a spare , Then I got a leak, No problem teflon tape, Uh vacuum leak, no problem, I have a cap. linkage sticking, no problem lubricant and re routing.

End of story, motor fired off and runs like a champ.. very smooth. Very nice.

Running at last

Bubb a

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-30-2004, 07:12 AM
gut
Freshman User
Persistence always pays off! Good job!

bob

Old 08-15-2004, 05:07 AM
BlueOvalFanatic
New User
Nice lookin' truck, Bubba. I am going through pretty much the same thing. With the help of this forum, I have about decided to pull the tank. My truck is a 76 with a 67 390.

After replacing the obvious in-line fuel filter, I also found a thimble shaped screen type filter in the carb fuel inlet- right at the banjo bolt.

I am not sure exactly what type fuel pump you have, but I just replaced the fuel pump on mine. It had the older style with the inlet and outlet at different heights on the pump. It looks like a skinny oil filter on the bottom ( a canister about 4" long, 2.25" wide or so). If yours has the same type, there is a paper filter inside that I did not know about at first. This is just a stab, but before spending $27.99 for a new pump, I could have spent under $4.00 for a new filter from AutoZone. With replacing the pump, this is obviously not your problem...It does however go to show how easily something can be overlooked.

I am now convinced it is the carb loading up and choking it out, or the tank pick-up is clogged- although Im not looking forward to removing the tank.

I feel your pain...hope this helps.
Greg

Old 08-16-2004, 12:46 PM
55Bubba
Senior User
Thanks Greg,

The old pump did not have the filter below and since I had isolated the pump as the cause, I just went ahead and replaced it. Even if it wasn't bad, I considered it a prophylactic move that may keep me off the side of the raod. Good luck on your truck.

Bubba
Using big words every blue moon

Old 08-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bubba, I don't understand. These big words confuse me. Were you concerned about an unwanted pregnancy occurring on the side of the road?? John

The following users liked this post: