1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My C4 Transmission found with fractured rear hold downs - going for AOD any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 11:43 PM
Jacques
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My C4 Transmission found with fractured rear hold downs - going for AOD any advice?

Hello again Guys,
Well, after my last post on removing the original transmissioin cross member, I decided that I had better leave it in place since it supports the leaf springs. I decided that I could get extra clearance (1-1/2") by installing tubular engine mounts, which I did today. Great adventure, (no directions from supplier) - didn't think to disconnect the carb linkage, no breakage, but it sure was under tension. Went to rebolt the rear of the transmission in place & found out the the previous owner had broken the lugs & had fashioned a member to keep the transmission from going up/down & used the broken lugs as wedges to keep side to side alignment. Bummer truck is grounded until transmission is renewed.
My deal on the T-bird parts car fell through, however, I am looking for another donor car & will be installing the efi (mass air flow) & AOD. Figure I could get the flywheel, torque converter, starter, & output shaft out of the donor vehicle.
I have a question:
What type of shifter? My budget is shot (imagine that - LOL), & I would like to find a junk yard floor shifter. I assume that if I find a good donor, I wouldn't have to buy an aftermarket.
Thanks in advance,
Jon

Old 07-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just change the tailshaft housing. I know for a fact that it can be done on in a parking lot just off of I40 with a few wrenches and a crank up jack...

Old 07-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Homespun91
More Turbo
Offhand, I'd say a later Mustang, T-bird, or the Mercury equivalents would be your best bet for a floor shifter.

P.S.: I changed a TH400 in a Cutlass by the side of the highway once. Not fun but I got huge arms as a result of bench-pressing the 400 (quite possibly the world's heaviest automatic, or at least it seemed like it at the time). I'm with Scot- change the tailshaft extension & leave the AOD until the budget deficit eases. By the way, make sure to grab all the associated cables & brackets off the donor car for the AOD, it'll make your swap & life much easier.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Jet Jock
Elder User
Whilw we are talking trannies....Does anybody know the ratio final output for the C4 and a AOD?

Bill

Old 07-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Homespun91
More Turbo
Bill,

The C4 has a 1:1 high (3rd) gear; the AOD has a .67 high (4th) gear.

Mike

Old 07-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Jet Jock
Elder User
Homespun

Thanks

Jet Jock
"I drive a 'girly' 302 because, when I want to go fast, I go to work"

Old 07-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Jacques
Freshman User
Whoooohoooooooo!!!!!!!! Scot, you the MAN!!!!!! I read your post at work, went home, tore out the fractured tailshaft housing & dropped it off at the local transmission shop. Today, I went & picked it up (for a whopping $30 (cash) LOL) for the replacement piece complete with gasket, seal & a new bushing pressed in. What a great day. She's back on the road. So, Thank You very much for your great words of advice. Homespun 91, Thanks to you for your advice regarding shifter. This is too fun.
Regards,
Jon