Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Freshman User

scmagner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy 65 F250 conversion to disc brakes

So I read every single tech article on the web about this brake swap and talk to every ford person I know and decide that this is a doable albeit trying swap that will make my truck safer and easier to work on. (Once the swap is done and all I have to do is replace pads and turn rotors as needed). First problem king pins in a 65 f250 are more like tooth pics compared to 79 f250.(King pins almost fell out of both spindles just a regular hammer and good drift this was way over-hyped if any maintence has been done on either truck) Big problem spindles will not work. The spindle swap is out so now i have to change whole front end suspension. Next problem about an inch too long (a problem I would like to have) with 1/2 inch longer in the I beam and 1/2 inch in the rotor assembly. Can I drill another hole in the bracket that the I beam sits in move it back 1 inch? I have read that almost everyone has this same problem with the swap (which is why I wanted to swap the spindles only). May be the bracket off of a 79 will work or is the frame 1 inch wider in a 79. Any help from someone that has been through this would be great.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Elder User

hawkrod is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have never had the trouble you are experiencing but i hear tell there are actually two different sets of front disc brakes for an F250 in the 70's based on axle rating. they are both 8 lug but one is based on F350 parts and the other is based on F100 parts. my bet is you have the heavier duty brakes. though i have never actually looked into this to verify it, the spindle and kingpin seem to be the difference between the two sizes of axle ratings with the smaller one having a smaller kingpin like an F100. perhaps you could spend a little time at a wrecker with a few trucks and see if you can find another set of brakes with the smaller kingpin size? hawkrod
Old 07-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Freshman User

I would really rather use these heavier duty parts with the duel caliper discs because I already paid $200 dollars for them and I intend to pull a bobcat skidloader and some very heavy loads up and down hills etc. Is the inch longer going to be a problem or can I make these work with no modifications. I have read about the extra inch on many conversions so I do not think that would change even with the f100 parts.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Elder User

hawkrod is starting off with a positive reputation.
the brakes are not different from what i understand, it is the hub and spindle. they all use the big rotor and 4 piston caliper if i am not mistaken. hawkrod
Old 07-25-2004, 10:19 PM
Freshman User

I measured the I beams as well as the spindle and hub assembly and have about 1/2 inch difference in both of them making up the inch longer in length. If I bolt these up will my wheels be to far out and come in contact with my fenders and if so is there any modifications I can do to make these fit. Like drilling a new hole one inch farther out to bolt up the I beams to or a wheel that will fit these brakes and make up the 1 inch difference (changing the center of the wheel in closer to rotors to clear the fender.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Posting Guru

6t6merc is starting off with a positive reputation.
I attempted to install rebuilt beams/spindles from a '78 F250 with the hd 1.06" kingpin. The rotor/hub unit which mates to this (larger) spindle uses larger bearings than the .875" pin F250 item. I believe these rotor/hub units are otherwise dimensionally identical, but have one other major difference - the larger uses a 9/16" wheel stud, the smaller uses a 1/2". They both (my trucks, at least) use a 2-piston caliper.
I was not aware that the disc brake axle assembly is 1/2" longer. I would like to hear more about this.
Eric
Old 07-26-2004, 05:14 AM
Junior User

oldtrapper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hawkrod
I agree with your call on 2 different calipers. I have my dad"s 73 f250 and when picked up new pads I found out there were 3 different gvw ratings for that year and we had the 8600 gvw version and the pads were much bigger and beefier than the single piston and much more expensive. I just swapped a 79 f150 6900 gvw susension complete front end in a 66 w/no problem even though the new one is wider than the 66. I be leary of redrilling the axle holes. FWIW
OldTrapper
Old 07-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Freshman User

I am going to try the swap with the beefier I beams, calipers, spindles and wheels studs since my purpose for this truck is work. I still have two questions where and how much were the rebuilt I beams or did you mean salvaged and did this make the swap easier? Also what about steering linkage did your old linkage fit the new spindle or did you upgrade a 73-79 linkage.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:27 PM