2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slip/clunk update on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 11:43 PM
scottb1014
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spoke too soon, although it is not as bhad, every once in a blue moon, it does it just lightly. I give up

Old 09-04-2004, 02:57 AM
gsxrraycer
New User
Originally Posted by scottb1014
I just found the TSB notice for this issue on the internet. It was released in June. Jesus, dont these techs read these things?

They are giving me a drive shaft and you clutch packs..... so which is the real fix????
Would it be possible for you to post the URL of the place where you found the TSB? Everywhere I go they want to charge for it.

Thanks in advance

GSXRraycer

Old 09-04-2004, 11:34 AM
madinak
New User
TSB# 04-1-6 JAN 04 Driveline - Clunking/Grunting Noise/Shudder

I found that above on alldata.com. My dealer is replacing my clutch packs as soon as the parts come in. I also mentioned the hesitation and he reflashed with no questions asked. I thought maybe he was BSing me about actually reflashing the PCM but when I got home I checked under the hood and the Modification Sticker was under the hood.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:30 PM
boomer08
Senior User
You know that is funny. I heard everyone that had their PCM reflashed that the dealer put a sticker under the hood but mine did not or I couldn't find it. The slip of paper that they sent home with me showed they reflashed and I can spin the tires now where I couldn't before so I am pretty sure they did it. Also on myfordvehicles.com in the service log section it shows that they did the reflash. Hmmm

Old 09-04-2004, 06:47 PM
gsxrraycer
New User
Can someone post any information that might be on the modification notice? Or maybe give the information for the flash update, so that those of us who would like to get it done can have some information to help deflect some of the blank looks or other worse looks we might get from dealers who don't want to interrupt their busy schedules for what they will probably consider a trival matter such as this? I'm already reluctant to call and have to pull teeth to get information. Thats what prompted me to find this Forum/Enthusiasts group in the first place.
Thanks

Old 09-04-2004, 07:29 PM
scottb1014
Senior User
Originally Posted by gsxrraycer
Would it be possible for you to post the URL of the place where you found the TSB? Everywhere I go they want to charge for it.

Thanks in advance

GSXRraycer

http://www.ownersite.com/index.cfm?aid=10017

Old 09-05-2004, 05:29 PM
madinak
New User
Here's a pic of the mod sticker under my hood. Sorry about it being a little fuzzy but you can still make it out. I mentioned to the service advisor that I was concerned about the "Driveability". Before I could say anything else he said they would check for an update for the PCM.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:50 PM
gsxrraycer
New User
Thanks a bunch for the picture. I've got an appointment for Monday.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:23 AM
DWEELER
Freshman User
scottb 1014,

It sounds like you're having the same problem many of the rest of us are having. Cold accelerations around a corner produce a clunking, shaking, shuddering episode.

It sounds like replacing the clutch packs and or driveshaft will fix the problem. That is what ended up fixing mine anyway.

I haven't heard or read of too many people having transmission problems.

Good luck man!!

Old 09-09-2004, 07:59 AM
formyfordvan
New User
new truck

Hello all,
Thanks to all who have posted here regarding the rear end clunk. I finally purchased a new F150 4x2 Screw 5.4L, 3.73LS and on the initial test drive I heard the rear end clunk twice and then it went away. When I asked the other two people in the cab whether they heard it, they said no. We returned to the showroom and negotiated the deal with pick up scheduled in a couple of days. After rereading the clunk threads at FTE, I called the dealer and told him of my concerns about the clunk. Thanks to this site I was able to speak knowledgeably about the issue and all of the TSB's related to it. The sales manager relayed my concerns to the service manager. The service manager knew of the TSB's regarding the clunking and test drove the vehicle but did not hear the clunk. The sales manager offered to do whatever repair I felt most comfortable with to eliminate the clunk. I asked him to replace the clutch pack and the next day they completed the replacement. After a succesful test drive (no clunking) by their service personell and myself I took delivery yesterday and drove it 90 miles home. Hopefully this will end that problem for good. For now it appears that I have found a dealer that actually treated me with some respect, time will tell. Now I have to change my FTE moniker to "formyfordf150" or something.
Rick

Old 09-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Aircommando
New User
Have 9200 miles on 3.55LS and have had the dreaded shudder on cold starts which seems to have abated in the warmer weather. But I have had the rear end clunk problem also which seems to be occurring more often. It only happens on right turns and is usually two distinct clunks, that are very noticable. I have an appointment next week. The forum has been very helpful with info pertaining to this problem.

Old 09-10-2004, 05:06 PM
scottb1014
Senior User
Originally Posted by gsxrraycer
Thanks a bunch for the picture. I've got an appointment for Monday.
Hey gsx - cool icon, whereja git it?

Old 09-10-2004, 05:12 PM
scottb1014
Senior User
Well, as i said - replacing drive shaft, clutch packs and greasing up the slip yoke fixed about 95% of the problem. i only hear/feel clunk every once in a blue moon now.

I sure was not expecting to get this much feedback from posting this topic.... wow

Old 09-24-2004, 03:33 PM
feeniks4.9
Junior User
Re-hashing an old thread....

I have a '91 4.9 I-6, 2WD short-bed with the no-frills 2.73 rear-end, the Mazda 5-speed tranny, and 111,000 miles. I have been having the slide-thunk on acceleration from a complete stop for a while, although it feels to me to be in the drivers-front region, not the rear. Like most, I've been burned by the dealership before (had a service writer argue with me on a recall. Just cuz I didn't have the pretty card they send out to owners. Cuz I read it on the internet. And I think he didn't like a girl knowing more than he did. Just a guess. Anyhoo.). There is a Ford Service center not far from where I live now, I'm hoping without the dealership hoopla my experience will be better. Has anyone with a setup similar to mine had this problem without a lsd?

Edited post, shortly after sending original: On further review, I realize this is a newer truck forum... I'd appreciate feedback if anyone has it (on the post, not how I totally missed the "Ford Truck Enthusiasts > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2005 Ford F-150" part... ) - in the meantime, I'm going to look for an option to delete this post...

Last edited by feeniks4.9; 09-24-2004 at 03:43 PM. Reason: ..just cuz I didn't pay attention...
Old 09-30-2004, 07:03 AM
BOORUMME
Freshman User
Thumbs up shudder

My 04 lariet 4x4 5.4, and 3:73 limited slip also did the shudder thing when I first got it. It did it when taking of from a dead stop, and even when backing up. After putting about 200 miles on it, I took it on a 3,000 mi. trip, and it has not done it since. I also thought something was wrong with the transmission. Just driving it now, and have had no problems so far. It now has about 4,000 miles on it. I hope it stays that way. Great truck so far.

Quick Reply: slip/clunk update on acceleration