Flathead 6 specs

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 PM
ewatness
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello and thanks for the quick reply. I just checked today and my block is numbered 7HA 6015 was rebuilt once before. A plate was attached with bore amd stroke numbers. The wiring is toast as I found out yesterday. I noticed a spark at the ammeter and then saw the loop burn through from a bare wire passing though it. I see other breaks in the 60 year old wires so it is time to replace them.

I noticed a posting about changing out the generator to a 12 volt. Is that a better plan than to change to an alternator? And did you keep a list of parts and part numbers as well as sources for other electrical components that you changed? I look at the old original tractor and vacillate between upgrading and keeping it spot on original. I have a 51 8N in great shape that has 12 v alternator and larger PTO and paint that is not perfectly correct . I love it but then it is not exactly the way it was off the line.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:36 PM
hitmiss1
New User
sorry to hear about the wiring. i had my local generator shop change out the armature in the generator to a 12v unit and got a 12v regulator to go with it, too. of course, i had to change the lights and coil to 12v also. he supplied the parts so i didn't get any part numbers. napa had the lights and he said the starter would handle the 12 volts and it has been fine. you can get an inline resistor and not have to change all the accessories. i like the generator option better than an alternator mainly because of the original look to it. i know there are alternator kits that come with everything to change on over pretty easily. basically you are the one you have to please so if it is easier for you or runs better in your opinion, go that route. i try not to make any changes that can't be corrected easily or by a part change (if you change to an alternator, don't throw the generator out; you may want to change it back some day).
personally, i like the original look so that is the way i try to keep my stuff. i have a 1952 8N i grew up on that dad bought practically new that is still 6 volt. even so, i respect the 9n's with an 8n engine or the funk upgrades so the farmer could plow more with bigger equipment back when they used them.
later, will.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 AM
ewatness
Junior User
Thanks Will. I'll need to make that decision soon I guess. I like the original as well. One last question: What is a Pullford conversion? Have a great day.Eric

Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 PM
hitmiss1
New User
back in the days of the model 't' and 'a' fords there were lots of accessories you could get. not factory but aftermarket stuff. there were several tractor conversions where you could basically take off the rear wheels and mount a pair of pinions in their place to drive the tractor wheels (mostly steel; some later rubber tired) that were mounted on a subframe that bolted to the frame of the car. if microsoft hadn't deleted the groups picture site i would let you go there to see pics of mine. anyway, mine is made by the pullford company. it's a neat and different tractor.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 PM
ewatness
Junior User
I think I have seen pictures of a Model A converted to a tractor so I think I know what it looks like. A really rare vehicle I am sure. Very cool! Have fun at the show this weekend.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:59 AM
hitmiss1
New User
thanks. i forgot i had a few pics on another site. i found one of the pullford at CU Community Photo Galleries
what is really cool is that there are 3 or 4 tractor conversions around the area and they are all by different manufacturers. we do plowing at the show, too, and i think i will take my '52 8N with a harrow also. i grew up on this tractor and it has been on propane since 1954. it has a spud-in screwed into the original carb. it really cranks and runs good. dad, with this 8N, dug a hole for an underground propane tank for the guy who is hosting the show's father back in the late 1950's so it will be neat to get the tractor back to that farm all these years later. he lives i a town about 25 miles away.
have a great week, will.