1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'53 F-100 wheel back space

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 06:22 PM
green53
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'53 F-100 wheel back space

Does anyone have 15"x7" chrome smoothies or chrome reverse on their effie ?
Please comment on the rim backspace and manufacturer, as I have contacted American Racing and their response was ' the chrome smoothie will probably fit, the chrome reverse I do not think so.' I intend to put nearly new Wranglers on the above style rims. Thanks, Jeff.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:51 PM
boilerbots
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clamp a straight edge on the face of your rotor so that it sticks straight up into the fender. Then measure from inside the fender lip to your straight edge to determine the distance you have from your inner fender to the rotor's face.

Then look at the FAQ section on various manufactures webpages and see how they spec their wheel back space or offset and do some calculations to determine what you need.

Also check the width of the tire mounted on the same width rim you want to make sure it will fit. Tires change widths based on the width of the rim they are mounted on. Almost all companies have this info on their webpages.

I did this on my truck and was able to get a very tight fit using off the shelf wheels and tires so it didn't cost me a premium.