Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Freshman User

SoundBuys is starting off with a positive reputation.
Propane take for Powershot2000

I just purchased a Powershot system used and we are having problems shipping the tank. So I may be looking for one local. What tanks are prefered? Can I use a standard grill propane tank, I thought someone said that I can but I would have to get two of them.

Any help would be great!

Shawn
Old 07-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Postmaster

Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Using BBQ tanks is fine, but you will need two of them to supply enough vapor during "Happy Hour". One would be sufficient for steady freeway cruising, but I'd guess that ain't why you bought the system, eh?
I've got a 9.9 gallon Manchester tank mounted under the bed, and that's a great permanent setup. I can easily go 2500 miles between fillups of the propane tank, and I have my system wicked up.
Contact Dale Isley at TYMAR for one like mine. He can probably get it shipped to you.

'13 F-250 Platinum CC SB 4X4 Powerstroke.
'13 Timber Ridge 280RKS
Old 07-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Freshman User

How much was your tank? Also for compairsion how big is a grill tank?

Shawn
Old 07-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Senior User

bigdieseldav is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would suggest setting it up like quadzilla, and I intend to do the same thing, but in the mean time i run the two tanks in my toolbox. Pics are in my gallery. They are 2 1.5 gallon pancake tanks. I filled them up about 2 months ago and they are still not empty.. I only use my propane upon spotting an unsuspecting dodge. So i figure my set up is good for now. Quad has a awesome truck doesn't he!!?
2005 6.0 PSD, auto, lariat longbed crewcab FX4 lifted 4 inches. ARP headstuds, black onyx headgaskets, 4 inch turbo back kitty and muffler delete, egr delete, smoke switch, high idle mod... superchips flashpaq with powershot 2000 propane injection system.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:33 PM
Freshman User

I would love to get a larger tank and if I can find someone to ship the used one I was looking at that would be a big help. If not I may just do a dual tank setup.

Do I need any aditional hardware to hook the two tanks up? If anyone has specifics on how to hook it up that would be a big help.

I just cant wait to get everything installed. The system I got also came with a superchips programed for the propane, I also ordered a 4" turbo back exhust.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Senior User

you can go to any LP shop or service station and have them rig you up a dual tank set up. Mine cost about 20 bucks for the hardware to connect them. You can do it cheaper, but i had mine done right!!
2005 6.0 PSD, auto, lariat longbed crewcab FX4 lifted 4 inches. ARP headstuds, black onyx headgaskets, 4 inch turbo back kitty and muffler delete, egr delete, smoke switch, high idle mod... superchips flashpaq with powershot 2000 propane injection system.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Senior User

BTW, don't hold your breath about them sending the tank, I doubt they will send it to you. I spent about 6 months trying to get them to send a small r/c airplane engine to Tennessee. It didn't happen. Legally I don't think they are allowed to ship anything that has/had any type of flammable fuel in it. Good luck though
Old 07-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdieseldav
you can go to any LP shop or service station and have them rig you up a dual tank set up. Mine cost about 20 bucks for the hardware to connect them. You can do it cheaper, but i had mine done right!!
You have any details of what they used for the connections?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Postmaster

Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When rigging up two bbq tanks, all that's needed is a "Y" hose, one that connects to both bbq tanks, and feeds into a single outlet.
The cost of my tank was around $300.

'13 Timber Ridge 280RKS
Old 07-20-2004, 11:42 PM
Senior User

t.j.g. is starting off with a positive reputation.
look for a used propane tank from an rv
Old 07-21-2004, 05:40 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
look for a used propane tank from an rv
That's a good idea, but also pick up the date of manufacture of the tank. Some jurisdictions won't allow a tank to be refilled that has been in service for too many years.

'13 Timber Ridge 280RKS
Old 07-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Freshman User

Thanks for all of the info guys. I am still trying to get the one shipped to me. I am also looking around where I am to see if I can find a used or new one.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Junior User

troutnut1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tank buyers should also be aware that newer style OPD (overfill protection device) valves are required in most locations for you to get these tanks refilled. Older tanks without these newer valves can usually be retrofitted with the new valves and pressure tested and stamped with a new date by your local propane supplier, but of course this costs money. I had two done for my RV like this not long ago and I can't remember how much it was, though it was considerably cheaper than new ones. The older valves usually are kinda round while the newer valves are always triangular and stamped OPD on them.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Postmaster

Good point.

'13 Timber Ridge 280RKS
Old 07-22-2004, 07:02 PM