Oil & Lubrication  

Walmart Oil

Old 07-18-2004, 09:52 PM
pipercub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walmart Oil

Any of you guys use Walmart oil and filters? I always use the filters. I normally use Castrol Syntec full synthetic, but this last time I couldn't find any so I grabbed some Walmart 5w30 and found it works just as well as the Castrol. I also rubbed some between my fingers and it seems very slippery just like any other brand name oil. My motor hasn't fallen apart yet so I'm sure that oil is doing it's job. I checked and the Walmart oil meets all the certifications. I'm not really sure how strict those certifications are, but the Walmart stuff seems pretty nice to me. What do you guys think. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than any brand name oil. For a diesel, you could save money using synthetic Walmart stuff. That's a lot cheaper than 15 quarts of Castrol!!!!

Old 07-18-2004, 10:29 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
i use it no problem the oil is shell and the filters are champion and you can't beat the price i just would not run it on extended drain intervals it tends to shear and the filter filter even the smallest pieces

Old 07-19-2004, 12:31 AM
jimlj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used it for about 15,000 miles in a Taurus I just sold with no trouble. I plan to use it in a new Jeep Liberty (sorry guys, I have already been told I am a trator) I just bought.

Old 07-19-2004, 02:16 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use it a lot, and the only thing I notice is that it tends to vaporize easier. I would have to add some after a bit on the tech oil, and when I did a change with some other stuff, I didn't have to add, but I run the 74 cent quarts, so I can justify the extra quart once in a while, and the engines I have had to take apart for head gaskets have been fairly clean inside after running it for quite some time.

Old 07-19-2004, 06:12 AM
jim41
Junior User
I think this says it all www.freep.com/money/autonews/oil15e_20040715.htm Good Luck..

Old 07-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Golfmore
Senior User
Is it parafin based or asphalt based? Thanks.

Old 07-19-2004, 03:34 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Id have to disagree there,. Oil is not all the same. The only way you know is oil analysis that will tell you the whole story. If your going to keep your vehicle for a long peiod of time for over 100,000 miles use this tool to monitor how your oil is performing. Just looking at the oil or thinking its doing a good job is just guess work. Oil analysis will pay for itself over time.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:36 PM
pipercub
Senior User
Yeah 150ford, I'd have to agree with you. Perhaps most oils, fancy or plain jane are the same, but we really don't know. You can figure that if an oil company took so much time designing fancy bottles than we can be assured that they took the extra time to make us good oil and that we aren't just paying extra for nice looking bottles. We don't really know that though so we might actually be able to buy cheaply priced no name oil that is actually better than the fancy stuff. I always wonder if I'm just blowing my money buying the most expensive oil. Probably I am, but I figure it's cheaper than a new motor. Only recently have I tried the SuperTech synthetic and it seems to be really nice oil so far.
My father, on the otherhand, is kind of cheap when it comes to oil. Why, I don't know why, but he mixes oil that's leftover and uses a bit of this and a bit of this. He says it's all the same. Maybe, but I'd never do that. When he does have to buy some oil, he swears by the Walmart synthetic and their filters. I always use their filters, but just recently tried their oil and it seems to work just as well as my usual Castrol.
I really think the oil analysis thing is a good idea, but I've never had this done before. Where can I get it done? I'd like to have the analysis done using Supertech synthetic and then Castrol Syntec and do a comparison. Now the filters??? I don't really care for Fram filters. What are the best filters money can buy? I have tried the most expensive Fram filter with the best filtering(Doublegard???) and it's extended life(I'd never change the oil without a new filter). That's about the most expensive filter I could find. Now, it may be the most expensive, but not the best quality. When I changed my oil after using that filter, the oil still looked the same as it always does, just dirty oil. I know you can't really tell by look so I will have to find out some more about the analysis thing. Please let me know some more about this guys. Thanks a lot in advance. I love this site.

P.S. jimlj, you aren't a traitor. Well, maybe! I do like the Jeep Wranglers myself. In fact, I think during WWII, Ford made some of their own Jeeps. I think it'd be cool if Ford could come out with a Wrangler copy, but with some changes.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:08 PM
F250Wildman
Senior User
My some has a '95 Ranger 2.3L. It has right at 190,000 miles on it and can still go 5000
miles between changes without adding any oil. All it has had in it is Havoline 5w-30 synthetic oil in it, nad my 4.6L f-150 has 95k on it with no oil comsumption either with Havoline syn.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:59 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F250Wildman
My some has a '95 Ranger 2.3L. It has right at 190,000 miles on it and can still go 5000
miles between changes without adding any oil. All it has had in it is Havoline 5w-30 synthetic oil in it, nad my 4.6L f-150 has 95k on it with no oil comsumption either with Havoline syn.
My 91 Bronco with a 351 and 185,000 miles looses about a quart in 3000 miles (leaks some at the rear main) and has had nothing but Super-Tech 10-30 dino oil in it since 80,000 miles, Motorcraft 10-30 before that.

If you use the right API service grade and change your oil regularly, mineral oil will work just fine.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:30 PM
motorguy222
Senior User
Wal-Marts SuperTech oil is made by Warren Distribution/Warren Performance Products of Nebraska.They also make the MAG1 and Polar brands.Warren Dist/WPP is not Warren Oil Co. of North Carolina nor are they associated with each other in any way.
It has been rumored that Shell/Pennzoil/Quaker state also makes this oil,however,this has not been proven and the Wal-Mart manufacturers list states that Warren Dist/WPP is the supplier of this oil.

Check tthe bottom of a quart bottle and more than likely you will find WPP embossed in the plastic.

Here is a link to Wal-Mart's list of suppliers, http://msds.walmartstores.com/cgi-bin/msds*****

Old 08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
motorguy222
Senior User
Stay away from Fram oil filters,they are made very cheap.The filter endplates inside of the filter are made of a thin cardboard,most other filters use metel endplates.Several of the Frams also use plastic parts in their internals.Do a search on Fram oil filters and you should be able to find several filter studies that show how cheap these filters are made.
Wal-Mart's SuperTech filters are cheaper in price but are of a much better comstruction.
Look at it this way,how good of a seal can you really get between a metal can and cardboard/plastic internals?
As I said,Frams are made very cheap.I will look up a study or two and post their links.

Last edited by motorguy222; 08-17-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:13 PM
motorguy222
Senior User
Having problems.

Last edited by motorguy222; 08-17-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:34 PM
motorguy222
Senior User
I said I would post a couple of links regarding Fram,I have 3 here.Theres actually many,many regarding Fram.
The ones that follow are pretty good.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

http://www.bergware.net/tmbwww/oilfilter89honda.html

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=6;t=000723

Old 08-27-2004, 11:36 PM
boulderdentist
Junior User
WalMart Oil

Was in a new WalMart SuperCenter today and looked at the house brand of synthetic blend, the shelf label actually said Warren Distributing as the source.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Walmart Oil