Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Garage floor anchor

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 03:01 PM
jcullom
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage floor anchor

I'd like to put in a floor anchor in the back of my garage to use when I winch heavy items off of my trailer (I'm into old engines & tractors). My thought was to drill through the concrete slab into the dirt & use some type of large expanding anchor bolt, utilizing the entire thickness of the slab for strength. Any thoughts? Am I nuts?
Thanks,
John

Old 07-18-2004, 03:50 PM
TheSnowback
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My father-in-law put a steel I-beam into the floor of his shop when he poured the concrete. This allowed an easy access point, typically for welding hot-rod frames to the floor so they didnt move during fabrication. The I-beam was set in a way so that the top of it was flush with the cement floor. I dont know how far you want to go with installing an anchor in your floor, but this method works really well.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:02 PM
jcullom
Freshman User
Yep, that's a good idea, but a little much for me now. My next shop will have something more substantial like that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:51 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Some years ago the body shop in the dealership I worked in had some anchors installed that sound like just what you are looking for. The installer drilled holes about 3 inches in diameter and installed can like anchors in them. The anchors had a lift up device that when not in use was flush with the floor but when lifted had a place to hook a chain. I bet a search on the internet would find something like that.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:53 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Heres a link to what you want. I did a google search on "floor anchors".

http://www.protools.ws/Frame%20Equip...oor%20Pots.htm

Old 07-18-2004, 06:21 PM
jcullom
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rclarke
Heres a link to what you want. I did a google search on "floor anchors".

http://www.protools.ws/Frame%20Equip...oor%20Pots.htm
Hey thanks, I appreciate that.

Old 07-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I wonder how much those cost. I was thinking of casting some into my floor but drilled holes are probably stronger and may even be cheaper in the long run.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:23 PM
jcullom
Freshman User
This is kinda what I am talking about. I guess the shear strength doesn't have to be all that great, as I what I will be pulling will be on wheels. Not that I want to scrimp on quality, but it doesn't have to be a boat anchor either.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...goods&v=glance

Old 07-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Howdy
Posting Guru
I've used those kind of anchor bolts many times to mount things like generators and racks. They do a fairly good job. They are designed to hold near the bottom of the hole, but the top part of the shaft can move under shear type force. I've had them pull out and break the concrete. They work great for static loads, but just so-so for dynamic.

Another option is to epoxy in the bolts. The modern epoxies do a great job of filling in the gaps, so there's no slop. I've used it on 1" anchor bolts and it's spec'd greater than the bolts were, (120 Kps) Let me know if you're interested, I'll go into work and try to track down a brand name. It's not the hobby epoxy you get at the hardware store.

Even high strength grout would work. It's pretty spendy stuff and I've only seen it sold 60#+ bags. You might try a local mason supply - take your coffee mug in and borrow a cup.. Just sweeping up the bag leakage would be enough. It mixes to a chocolate milk consistancy and is like Jello in a couple minutes - You have to work fast. The next day it's unbreakable.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Rosati
Postmaster
I anchored mine with bolts. But first I made a plate of 1/4" steel with a large ring welded to it. I have pulled my 64 F100 up a 25 to 30 degree angled driveway with a hand winch and later an electric winch.

Old 07-19-2004, 02:33 PM
jcullom
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Howdy
Let me know if you're interested, I'll go into work and try to track down a brand name. It's not the hobby epoxy you get at the hardware store.
Thanks, I'd appreciate that. The epoxy sounds like a good idea.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:27 PM
edog1
New User
I bought these from Harbor Freight for $13 each I wet set them in my concrete
but you can also install in existing slab. They worked well for me .
ITEM 45075-0VGA

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45075

Old 07-19-2004, 11:38 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jcullom
This is kinda what I am talking about. I guess the shear strength doesn't have to be all that great, as I what I will be pulling will be on wheels. Not that I want to scrimp on quality, but it doesn't have to be a boat anchor either.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...goods&v=glance
I looked at those and I think they would bend all over when you put a load on them. Something about them just does not look good to me. Without better dimensions, and material specs, I really can't tell tho.

Those Harbor Freight units look the the Chinese knock off version of those industrial anchors. They could probably be epoxied into place also.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Howdy
Posting Guru
Eric - I've used those anchors many times and they are made of mild steel. For example, when I set a generator down on them I just give them light taps with a 2# ball peen to get things to line up. If the hole isn't perfect, I've had them pull out when I've tightened the nut. I normally use 1/2" dia. I mean, I cap them with nuts and have still cross threaded them trying to drive them down

The design isn't bad, but those specific anchors won't take a lot of stress. It's the same basic design as the anchors I've used for radio towers, but they might be 15 foot long into solid granite.

jcullom - I looked today but couldn't find it, (we buy what we need and half a tube leftover dries up.)

Here's the place we probably bought the epoxy through:
http://www.williamsform.com/Concrete...e_anchors.html

You can just buy the adhesive without the anchors if you want, although they do have quality fasteners. Some sandstone jobs I do take 2" dia., 40' long anchor rods @150Kps - this is the place we get them. Good site. Scroll down and there's a good design specs page - shows spacing and all the goodies.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:06 PM
jcullom
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Howdy
jcullom - I looked today but couldn't find it, (we buy what we need and half a tube leftover dries up.)
Here's the place we probably bought the epoxy through:
http://www.williamsform.com/Concrete...e_anchors.html
Thanks Howdy, I'll check out that site.

Quick Reply: Garage floor anchor