Ring & Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 02:33 PM
studlybilly
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ring & Pinion

Hey all, I have a 1978 1/2 front D44 SA and a rear Ford 9" that Im doing a 5.13 Gear swap to. Im upgraded the front to a Trac loc carrier and I was wondering what shims would someone would suggest to set the carrier bearing preload(between the carrier and new bearings that came with install kit Im comming from scratch)? and the pinion shims to set its preload? The rear should be easier because I'll have the existing carrier and will try and utitlize its shims to set the preloads. May seem like an oddball question but this is the first R&P I've done where I havent been able to use the existing shims (I also always add a .0003" shim to the factory setup) and thought I'd ask, I've also only converted on imports (samurais mostly) so judging by carrier size domestics are a step up.

Old 07-17-2004, 03:32 PM
studlybilly
Freshman User
ahh I meant shims to set pinion depth not preload..

Old 07-17-2004, 05:34 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They should be in the install kit. If not, here's a little trick I used on my last setup. I used cut up aluminum cans and tin foil to make shims. The reason was that they wanted $47 for a setup kit, and I only needed about 0.003". Hopefully this will help you, Ted

Old 07-17-2004, 05:58 PM
studlybilly
Freshman User
No no all the shims are there, just different sizes of course, I was saying I have a new carrier (trac loc) and of course an install kit with new bearings, so I was asking whats the comming shims to use between the bearing/carrier, I've always had the advantage of using the original carrier and of course being able to use the original set shims (with addition of .0003" shim to each side to help new preload on carrier), but this time I've got everything new so Im starting from scratch with the front. Unless there is a definite common combo on each side in which to use I was asking what to use/start off with? and hopefully someone would know with the pinion shims (to start off with) to adjust pinion depth as well?

Old 07-17-2004, 06:06 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
You should be able to slap your carrier in, pry it to one side, measure, and then add that amount of shims. To set the depth, it could be difficult. My ford book had a pretty elaborate setup for measuring using a special tool that clamps in the bearing caps, and you go from there. I would think you can do the trial and error method. I know it is tedious, but unless you have something to go off of, it is kindof hard to say what exactly to use, as far as shim thickness. Good luck, Ted

Old 07-17-2004, 06:32 PM
studlybilly
Freshman User
Im not grasping the sliding the carrier to one side and measure, the bearings are pressed on so wouldnt it cause a huge inconvenience to press them on, remove them then shim it? Unless there not pressed on or there is a process of measuring without the bearings on the in the first place?

As far as pinion depth...thats why Im glad I have plenty of marking compound lol

Old 07-17-2004, 07:19 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Yeah, the pressing and removing sounds like a pain, but that is how I think the book was trying to tell how to set up initial gears.

Old 07-17-2004, 08:52 PM
studlybilly
Freshman User
whats more of a pain is I dont have means of pulling or pressing, I know plenty of mechanics that can let me press at there shop but thats a drive each time, Im going to use the shims in the original carrier and add a .0003" shim..

Old 07-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
What you do is take another bearing, and with a dremel remove alittle material off of the inside portion so that it slides on and off the pinion. Use this bearing to set up your gears, and press the new one on before final assembly. Also, with respect to the carrier, don't the shims go on the outside of the bearings? Or is that just the 8.8?

Old 07-17-2004, 10:42 PM
studlybilly
Freshman User
did some more research and got everything clarified, and got filled in on the new carrier bearing grinded deal (to center the carrier better), with the rear the carrier is cenetered using screws. after you center the carrier (usually measure with a caliper from the ring gear to the side of the housing or whatever suits you best, as long as its an accurate measure on each side), I also found out the front nor the rear have crush sleeves and learned a lot about pinion preload..After researching pinion depth the front d44 is said to be extremely easy and a Ford 9" (being a drop out 3rd) is damn near impossible to screw up. I've practically got all the information I need so thank you everyone.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:02 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Yeah, no crush sleeves, just putting in shims as necessary. Good luck, and post a few pics when you can. Ted

Old 07-18-2004, 09:51 AM
studlybilly
Freshman User
The most up to date pictures so far can be seen at:

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,7351.0.html

basically describes the project Im involved in, new pics soon to come.