General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Dodge / Service Rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 11:47 AM
harryball
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge / Service Rant

Yes, we own a Dodge Durango, 39k miles, my wife loves it, but service is a pain.

It's as if the local service department is run by a bunch of first time amateurs that don't listen. It's been in 4 times for the same AC problem, 2 times for the passenger window failing to roll up, 4 times for differential noise... it's as if not only do they not listen, they don't care or attempt to use any creative thought process to decide how to locate a problem.

Example, I deliver the vehicle for service and tell them, the rear overhead AC will sometimes make a noise and stop working on one side. Then it will start again without reason. Twice I get it back with "normal operation noted". No investigation, no removal of anything, they get in, turn it on and it works, so it's normal.

Once I left and the left rear lug nuts were loose. I went back and asked them to tighten them... that's all. I didn't rant or rave, I just said "Yeah, I just picked up my Durango, and I believe the rear lug nuts are not tight, they need to be checked"

Oh well! I got excuse after excuse about how no one ever touched the rear wheels.

"Excuse me, someone may have made a mistake, accidentally done it or thought it was another vehicle, there are a lot of blue Durangos back there."

Then... and I love this part "How do you KNOW they are loose".

Now I'm starting to get a little irate. "When you drive slowly, there is a rear squawking sound, I remember this sound from the race track, it generally means the rear lug nuts are loose, just check them."

Ok, they take it back there... 45 #$%%$ minutes later they bring it back and take a guess what's on the service ticket they created? No problem found, unable to reproduce stated noise.

I almost lost it... really I did. I walked out into their drive way, opened up everything and cleared my stuff out of the back to get to the lug wrench... and checked all the lug nuts. The left rear required about 3/4 of a turn to torque them, they were loose. I put my wrench back and drove off.

I did send a letter to the service manager and several reps with D/C. I basically got the standard "oh we're sorry we're such screw ups" response.

I know all service departments have issues, believe me I could tell you some stories about Ford and Chevy, like getting a car back with no oil in it ( Ford ) or getting a truck back with missing lug nuts ( Chevy ). But today it's a Dodge, thanks for listening.

Any other service nightmare stories?

Robert

Old 04-09-2002, 12:43 PM
CRJ900
Elder User
Dodge / Service Rant

I know how you feel....This is from a previous post, i copied and pasted it............

Its a 68 f100 2wd with a 360cid....Ok where should i begin... 3 weeks ago i went to get a brake job done at a muffler, brake, and axle/shocks whtaever shop. They put new brake drums and cylinder and brakeline. The brakes have always been fine.
The next day i heard a thumping sound coming from the front drivers side tire.

i took it back and he tightened the lug nuts.

then the next day it happened again. i took it back and he tightened them and said someone was trying to steal my wheels.

then a day later i took it back and he said he was going to replace the studs. and he did (i think)

then it was all good untill about 2 weeks later. The lug nuts started to fall off again!!

Then i said F*&% that im not taking it back to him.

So i took it to this other shop that is really good and ive had a lot of work done there.

Three of the studs were very loose he said when he took the wheel off, he said he was going to weld the studs onto the hub, and he did tell me that if i ever wanted to change the studs i would have to change the hub, i was ok with that. Waiting for about 4 hours he finally finshed at like 8:30pm

THEN ABOUT 1/4 OF A MILE DOWN THE ROAD THE WHOLE WHEEL FELL OFF!! They towed it back and said i needed a new rim now. and now probably a new hub! AHHHHHHHHHH when is this going to end. So now i have to pay 250$ bucks for a new rim.ahhhhhhh

.......I ended up paying for the rim and and hub. It costed me about 400$ all together. I will never go back to the muffler shop again. he did put a good dual exhuast on my truck. BUT THE STORY HAS NOT ENDED YET.............................. GETTING MY TRUCK INSPECTED, THE INSPECTOR SAID HE COULDNT TAKE ONE OF THE LUGS NOT OFF THAT WHEEL!!!!
I took it to another guy and he passed it..Ill have to deal with it when i gotta change that tire...

Old 04-09-2002, 02:29 PM
mgazak
Laughing Gas
Dodge / Service Rant

I think I know what the problem is. The world is being filled with a bunch of incompotent idoits because our educational system is all screwed up. The liberals thinks you can just throw more money at it and the problems will go away, but they won't. There are many issues with education. One being that students get pushed along without being ready. My parents are college teachers and tell me some of the horror stories. Some kids need the tests read to them ( what the is up with that?). Others can't tell the difference between the different forms of "two, to, too" and other such words. Some are just so stupid, they simply DO NOT belong is college.

Also, in New York State, where I live, we have regents examinations after taking certain high school courses. They've made a joke out of that. Once upon a time, only those with the ability took regents exams so these tests actually meant something on your resume. Now, eveyone has to take them. They think they're raising the standards but they aren't because they've had to make the questions easier and the passing grade lower so these kids will pass it.

Another issue is with putting everyone in the smae class. I feel they should group kids together based on mental ability. This liberal crap where they're afraid someone will be offended is garbage. If you can't keep up with the class, you stay behind, or you go to a special school. It's not fair to the other kids who want to learn and can't because the teacher has to slow down for such an individual or constantly has to discipline them.

One other issue is kids getting support from hope. I always got a lot of help whenever I needed it from my parents. Many kids, though, live in splits homes, have parents to busy to help or whatever. Certainly a big part of this equation is the parents.

I think I've ranted enough. Anyways, these people at your D**GE dealer that treat you like s*** are just another product of our "quality" educational system.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Dodge / Service Rant

There seems to be a lack of real diagnostic mechanics in dealers shops these days.
They know how to plug in a machine and when the machine tells what to change,they can do that okay.But when is comes down to actaually trouble-shooting a problem They Are Lost

The last time my truck was broken into I HAD to take it to a dealership mainly for the parts.

I said I'll wait for it,as it shouldn't take more than an hour to R & R the vent window.
Well 2 hours later I had to go and do it myself.
I am well known at this dealership for other reasons,and I was welcomed to do it they said.

After I was done they presented me with a bill for $358.00 .
I told them I would be right back.
I went to the owner and brought him to the service dept to discuss the goings on.

The OWNER of the dealership asked them why is it that the customer in this case seems to know better than the people his manager hired,ends up having to do the work.

Nothing but excuses > The owner told the service manager " Who hired these Buffonns?" and then said "cancel the bill" and for me to follow him.

I followed him to his office and he cut me a cheque for $300 and asked when I could start working for him.

[i][font color=blue]Dennis[/font][i]

[font color=red]Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG

[i][font color=green]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html [/font][i]

[font color =green] Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [/font]

[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
641/2-Mustang 260,Pre-World's Fair Car.
64-Fairlane500 S/C waiting for a 390-4spd.
68-Mustang 289-Sunlit Gold 80,892Mi
78-Buick LeSabre 403 4V
84 Volvo DL Wagon [/font]

Old 04-09-2002, 03:12 PM
harryball
Senior User
Dodge / Service Rant

Rich... really rich.

I called the Dodge dealer to check on my Durango... when I dropped it off they wanted to be sure they understood every detail of the problem. I can qualify that as effort, since they haven't listened in the past. The service writer went out to the vehicle with me and spent about 20 minutes seeing and touching everything. As the fates were kind... he even got to see the AC fail. While he was fiddling with it there was a chatter pop and the vent stopped blowing... GREAT... he sees it now there is no way they can call that "normal operation"

So... I called... I asked for Brian... the response? Oh, he's no longer with the company can I help you. Great, just great.

I just can't wait to go pick it up and see what's on the ticket. I'm taking the D/C reps number with me... if they say "Normal Operation Noted" I'm going to call and tell him the Service Director is going to explain why they still have not fixed my vehicle... and hand the phone to the Manager.

Geeezze Louise... product of our educational system is low, I agree... and one reason I get so peeved at crap like this is I'm an Engineer, not the train driving kind... the problem solving kind. Troubleshooting is so basic a concept, but I doubt 1 out of every 10 mechanics out there could troubleshoot a wet paper bag.

Robert

Old 04-09-2002, 04:08 PM
whitebenz
Posting Guru
Dodge / Service Rant

having just left a Chrysler/jeep dealership I can only say two things. One, I am glad I quit, and two, Stupid people shouldn't breed( but if they do they can get a job in the service dept)

dj

Old 04-09-2002, 04:40 PM
CRJ900
Elder User
Dodge / Service Rant

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Apr-02 AT 05:41 PM (EST)]let us know how it goes when u pick it up., oh yea did that really happen million?

Old 04-09-2002, 08:22 PM
harryball
Senior User
Dodge / Service Rant

It seems when they had the vehicle in for service just below 36,000 miles and I could leave it for a week... everything is just fine...

Now that it's over 36,000 miles it needs a new rear end... :-staun

They have to discuss what they are going to do about it in the morning. In the mean time, I requested a courtesy vehicle... since they've had ample opportunity to discover and fix this and the other problems before, sounds reasonable.

Well... it would appear they'd rather see me walk as a customer than do a little PR and give me a car. I told the rep. that I understand completely, D/C does not value my business and does not want me as a future customer. "oh, no, we will fix the problem"

I stated again... A. you've had AMPLE opportunity to fix the before, B. Through no fault of my own your dealership dawdled around and did not fix the problem DESPITE the fact it was pointed out 5 times previously. C. Simple courtesy would suggest I'm given a loaner car for atleast a few days while this is sorted out since I didn't expect a vehicle that was given a clean bill of health 5000 miles ago to suddenly require a weeks stay or more.

Therefore, the action of not granting a loaner car can only lead me to believe I am not valued as a customer and you'd rather I never come back.

Be clear, it's not about the Durango, it is a mechanical device, they fail, get over it. It's about the total lack of customer service, organization, management and responsibility on the Dealership and D/C's part. What's more amazing, they don't see it. They really don't understand, they think I'm upset because of the repairs... I'm not, I know they WILL fix it. Because I don't cuss and swear and scream at them they " Didn't realize I was unhappy" uhhh... I SAID "I'm not happy with the service here"... but I guess I should scream at them...

Again, thanks for the vent... :-)

Robert

Old 04-09-2002, 08:35 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Dodge / Service Rant

>let us know how it goes when u pick it up., oh yea did that
>really happen million?

Actually,I've had to fix the Broken-in Via the "vent window" Twice at dealerships.
Of it's true,the second time, because the owner knew me,he thought I should get the money for it.

I'll post a photo to show you what i do at that dealership every year.

[i][font color=blue]Dennis[/font][i]

[font color=red]Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG

[i][font color=green]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html [/font][i]

[font color =green] Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [/font]

[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
641/2-Mustang 260,Pre-World's Fair Car.
64-Fairlane500 S/C waiting for a 390-4spd.
68-Mustang 289-Sunlit Gold 80,892Mi
78-Buick LeSabre 403 4V
84 Volvo DL Wagon [/font]

Old 04-10-2002, 01:03 PM
harryball
Senior User
Dodge / Service Rant

OK, just got back from the local non-Ford truck dealer where my wife's Durango is... skipping all the fun I had explaining to a full waiting room of customers and then going to the sales floor to explain the Dealership's policies... here's the jist of it.

D/C declined the warranty repair, leaving it to fall on the extended warranty company ( I don't usually buy them, but as I listened to the diff whine since 5k miles I picked one up ) They've addressed this same noise and problem several times before, but NEVER would admit it was a problem, they replaced seals, added additives etc...

They still could not find the AC unit problem, and the Service writer that saw it fail is no longer there. Apparently him being fired the day I dropped my Durango off for service makes it my problem. I asked for a dictionary, because no one there seems to know what "Intermittent" means.

The Window regulator has to be replaced, again, they addressed this issue before, adjusted and lubed it... but it was not a serious problem. Again, the Ext. Warranty will cover it, but they got screwed.

I can only conclude from the lack of desire to assist me by providing a courtesy car and the refusal to take care of the problem under factory warranty, the D/C's not interested in any customer care and it's there policy to string problems along until they can get it out of warranty and stick the owner or the extended warranty company.

Oh, and also, apparently their Rep.s come in unexpectedly with stealth, commandeer the management and have meetings with them keeping them from fulfilling their promises. Because I KNOW the Service "Manager" wouldn't have told me he'd call me in the morning knowing he already had meetings that would preclude that possibility.

I put "Manager" in quotes because that's how you signify a word has a different meaning than it's usual meaning... and I can't call this guy a Manager.

Robert

Old 04-10-2002, 02:16 PM
LK
Elder User
Dodge / Service Rant

I know where you're coming from on the service techs - my F150 has been in the shop since Monday morning, and I've now decided that all the people at my dealership must share one brain cell. I used to think that they all shared one brain, but I've realized that I was being optimistic. I only gave them 3 problems to solve this time - vibration at 70-75mph, loud thunking coming from the rear end, and my ever-present transmission problems - and as of today they are still 0 for 3.

They tried to give me my truck back yesterday, but I told them I didn't want it back until they fixed it - which probably means I'll never get it back at all. How is it that a problem can exist and be plainly obvious every time you drive the truck, and yet they are always "unable to duplicate the noise (or the vibration, or whatever)?" How do you not notice that you can't shift into second gear, or that the clutch makes a loud bang every time you use it?

Funny thing is, Ford sends out those little customer satisfaction surveys, and the dealership has a sign on the wall to contact them if you cannot say you are "completely satisfied" with their service. Heck, I'd be happy to be even *slightly* satisfied. I have one of those surveys on my desk at home, and I'm having a hard time filling it out because they don't have a rating low enough...

LK

Old 04-10-2002, 02:27 PM
harryball
Senior User
Dodge / Service Rant

How true. As for not being able to reproduce the sound/problem... that's not a lie, they can't when it sits in the lot all day without being looked at. To pick on Chebby... when I used to own one... I dropped it off for service and to check a vibration at 60. I always write the mileage down when I leave one... and heck they even write it on the ticket most of the time.

You should have heard some of the creative explainations for "Unable to reproduce sound" and the truck only had .3 miles more on it than when I dropped it off...

Anyway, one brain cell about covers it for the entire service department.

Robert

Old 04-10-2002, 04:35 PM
Bull
Senior User
Dodge / Service Rant

Here's a reason why it's hard to find good service techs anymore...

This guy I know when to an excellent auto repair school. After finishing the school, he got a job at a Toyota dealership where they started him out at meager $10/hour. My other friend who does data entry work (which does not require schooling) started out at $12/hour. The service tech guy quit and is going back to school to learn computer skills...

Old 04-11-2002, 10:59 AM
harryball
Senior User
Dodge / Service Rant

You get what you pay for...

To let a little cat out of the bag... as to why I'm so demanding...
my Father was a mechanic/Service Manager/Regional Rep/and finally part of a group in GM that set up dealerships. He's now "retired".

When he was Service Manager, his departments were clean, well managed and always busy. People would drive 100 miles or more to go to HIS service department. He paid his mechanics what they were worth and based his salary on the Customer Pay figures. I know an engine man that followed him around, he made 1500/week. Dealers would start off just fine... hey, 6% of 60k or 80k/month didn't seem like a bad deal. But generally over the course of about a year, his departments customer pay totals could go over 250k/month for a large dealership. Seriously. Dealers, the blood sucking myopic morons that many seem to be... could not deal with a service manager making 15,000 / month. It was always the same, redefining customer pay, reducing percentages, creative pay... it made him so mad sometimes.

He finally left Ford and went to a GM peer group that established dealerships, his part was the service departments. He did this for several years, made good money, but couldn't stand the travel.

Anyway... at the dealership where my Durango is at... the mechanics must make about $15.00 / week. They sure don't care about quality or customer service.

Robert

Old 04-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Rosati
Postmaster
Dodge / Service Rant

I had a similar experience with my brand new, drove home from the dealer, 94 Ranger. Several repeat trips to the dealer 45 miles away, no loaner either. Was hearing a loud pop from the drivers front wheel. I even jumped on the bumper and duplicated the noise several times and they couldn't find the problem. After 3 months, I pulled the wheel and found the sway bar anchors on the I-beam was not tightened from the factory. It caused the sway bar to snap back in place and created the load noise I was hearing!

What dopes!!!!

Quick Reply: Dodge / Service Rant