Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Senior User

Ssqtch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up BioDiesel

I found this article on MSN's site.

http://autos.msn.com/volvo/article.a...tentid=4022450

Anyone know about using it in the 6.0L PSD?

-Brian
Old 07-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Post Fiend

johnsdiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I older trucks you can't run pure biodiesel because it is incompatable with rubber. Newer vehicles, however, can run on B100 with no problems. Let's keep in mind though that biodiesel and vegetable oil are not exactly the same thing. If you want to run straight vegetable oil you would need to modify your engine. I also would not recommend doing this because most of the research that I've seen shows that it is very hard on the injection system.

You can certianly run B20 with no problems (as shown in the picture from your link). From what I've heard, most people report that their engine runs smoother and quieter on biodiesel.
CMP Info2
Old 07-16-2004, 12:51 PM
Elder User

Twin Tritons is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here's a pretty good article on making your own bio-diesel from waste vegetable oil. Make your own bio-diesel

Sounds like a lot of work, but also states that you could make it yourself for less than $0.75 per gallon. Would also mean you would have to round up large quantities of used vegetable oil.

2010 F-150 Raptor 4x4, 6.2L
Old 07-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Elder User

mattsf250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Tritons
Sounds like a lot of work, but also states that you could make it yourself for less than $0.75 per gallon. Would also mean you would have to round up large quantities of used vegetable oil.
and you would need to dispose of ALOT of waste that was not useable. sounds like a total waste of time, not to mention, dealing with methanol.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Elder User

wolffee is starting off with a positive reputation.
it sounds like a really cool idea and i read alot about it at other sites and i bet if i had like acres and acres of land i could set up a shed and get like a 1000 gallon tank and do it like out in the back in a shed or somthing like that and make it in bulk but i live in a residential area i dont think i should be messing with methanol and all in large enough quantities to make it worth it in my garage. and then storing it in there that is a problom just waiting to happen.also i mean i use alot of fuel i think i mean about 29 gallon every 4 days at like 450 a tank i would want to make like 1000 gallon or more at a time or your going to be making it like every few days and who wants to do that?. its just not ready yet i think to be making it at home even if it does average out to .75$ a gallon. just my few cents
2.5in Leaf Spring Lift in Front.5in blocks in rear. Moto Metal 20x10's 295 65R20 Nitto Terra's. 4in stright pipe turbo back, 5in Tip. Femco Oil Drain Valve. SCT Tunner. Train Horns. Upgraded Compressors and big tank to run air tools. CB Radio. Bilstein Shocks. Amsoil Oil ByPass System. Coolant Filter ByPass.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
Wolffee - not being mean or anything....
but please allow me to take a breath every once in a while!
when I read that without any breaks I get outta breath :-)
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 07-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Postmaster

SBV45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
He's got a period in there somewhere.

2013 F-150 Lariat Supercab 4X4
2009 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6 4X4.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Elder User

wolffee is starting off with a positive reputation.
haha sorry about that i thought i had one in there somwhere. i never was good at grammer i will try to slow it down. i just get going you know. hard to slow it down. heres a couple of the periods i forgot to put in. not quite sure where they go though haha ...........................
2.5in Leaf Spring Lift in Front.5in blocks in rear. Moto Metal 20x10's 295 65R20 Nitto Terra's. 4in stright pipe turbo back, 5in Tip. Femco Oil Drain Valve. SCT Tunner. Train Horns. Upgraded Compressors and big tank to run air tools. CB Radio. Bilstein Shocks. Amsoil Oil ByPass System. Coolant Filter ByPass.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Got Diesel?

Beachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to all
Here is Ford's broadcast message to all dealers regarding Bio-Diesel:

Ford's Position on Biodiesel:
Ford is advising that any of their vehicles powered by a diesel engine, regardless of manufacturer, may exhibit engine or fuel system problems when using fuels with greater than 5% Biodiesel. Any problems when using fuels containing more than 5% Biodiesel should be referred to the fuel manufacturer. Ford only recomends using fuels containing no more than 5% Biodiesel (B5) in their diesel powered vehicles. In addition, as per World Wide Fuel Charter (WWFC) catagory 1-3, fatty acid methyl esters (FAME) must meet EN14214 and ASTM D 6751 specifications. Broadcast Message 0884.
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer
BriteBox Headlight Module / Marinco AC Block Heater Plug
Old 07-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Post Fiend

johnsdiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford is obviously covering themselves to avoid warranty work. If you plan on running biodiesel higher than 5% I guess you're on your own.
CMP Info2
Old 07-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Postmaster

I understand that biodiesel's chemical make up is higher in some acids. Thsi could be the reason for the Ford disclaimer. I would hate to booger up (technical term) my injectors.

Old 07-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Got Diesel?

Beachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to all
Don't quite understand why people buy a new $40,000+ truck and then want to modify it, inject it with water, run unapproved, use bio-diesel and do other things on a truck with a warranty???

Why not buy a used truck with whatever mileage and modify it all you want. One it less expensive and two, you don't have to worry about fighting Ford over your warranty.

Personally, I would NOT run bio-diesel until it is widely available and has been approved. I'll wait for the diesel-electric motor like they use in locamotive engines if I want power and mileage. This could/would be the equivalant to the gas/electric cars from Toyota, Honda and others????

Thanks... just my .05 cents worth (which is more than others .02 cents)

Jeff
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer
BriteBox Headlight Module / Marinco AC Block Heater Plug
Old 07-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Senior User

Ssqtch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ahh, thank you, I knew somebody here would know Ford's official stance on it. This is my first Diesel truck, so I'd never really looked at Biodiesel before.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Senior User

OMCUSNR is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Ford is just covering their ### with that statement. So do VW, GM, & DCB. I run bio in my truck w/ no problems whatsoever. Their are a couple hundrerd thousand europeans running bio diesel in their vehicles w/out problems too.

The auto manufacture's can't control what you put in your vehicle, and they try to limit their liabilty by making statements like that. They can't control the quality of either gas or diesel or natural gas or biodiesel.

Commercial grade biodiesel is better for the truck (lubricity), better for the environment, better for the econonmy & the country. There can be enough feed stock for the oil available w/out drastically increasing farm land.

As far as I'm concerend, if Rudolf Diesel & Henry Ford thought vegitable oils should power their machines, who am I to argue?
Old 07-20-2004, 05:51 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssqtch
Ahh, thank you, I knew somebody here would know Ford's official stance on it. This is my first Diesel truck, so I'd never really looked at Biodiesel before.
Here is Ford's position on biodiesel in a service message:

Quote:
Ford's Position on Biodiesel:
Ford is advising that any of their vehicles powered by a diesel engine, regardless of manufacturer, may exhibit engine or fuel system problems when using fuels with greater than 5% Biodiesel. Any problems when using fuels containing more than 5% Biodiesel should be referred to the fuel manufacturer. Ford only recomends using fuels containing no more than 5% Biodiesel (B5) in their diesel powered vehicles. In addition, as per World Wide Fuel Charter (WWFC) catagory 1-3, fatty acid methyl esters (FAME) must meet EN14214 and ASTM D 6751 specifications. Broadcast Message 0884.

Old 07-20-2004, 05:51 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
2004, biodesiel, biodiesel, f350, ford, offical, position