1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Patches lives need fuel line advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Patches lives need fuel line advice

I know I have to post pictures but it is kind of embaressing after seeing some of the pictures here. He is running using his own fuel pump not a boat can. Idles nice also, I was surprised for not doing a tune up. I just finished rebuilding the fuel pump and carb. Now I need to replace the fuel line it is rubbed through where there was metal to metal contact. Suggestions for a fuel line? I am thinking of getting a section of steel pipe from the local parts store and bending a new one. I just have to figure out the flare that goes on the fuel line where it connects to the tank. I rinsed the tank out with water last night and very little junk appeared to be in there. Currently I have a rubber hose in a glass jar.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:32 AM
55Bubba
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Christopher,

How about one of the repopped lines from one of the suppliers, especially those listed here on the forum. I think I 'd rather do that than to bend it myself. I never can get the bends perfect and smooth like they can for the re popped stuff.

Bubba

Old 07-16-2004, 12:16 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Did it wear through where the line sits on the crossmember? On my current truck the cab is basically sitting on the frame (cab mounts worn out but at least it's level) and the previous owner just replaced the last foot. He flared an end on the old line and it screws together. On my other two trucks the fuel line was still in one peice.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Yes it did rub through at the frame rail, I am going to put a piece of rubber over the line this time to prevent that. Probably a piece of hose split and slid on. I am going to run a new line, I talked to my local Napa dealer and they said they had line that would bolt up to the factory fittings. I am going to take mine in tommorrow and find out. I will need two pieces, I am thinking run the first section from the tank towards the fuel pump. Put a fuel filter where the second piece joins the first and run the second pieces along the frame rail and bring it out by the fuel pump. I would only need to make a single bend that way. I would put flexible line from the fuel pump to where I bring out the second line to allow for some movement. As for having trouble with bends make broad sweeping bends, use items such as coffee cans, 5 gallon buckets even a 55 gallon drum depending on the bend radius you want. I have tried the vendors here everytime I do a search for 1950 ford parts I have no luck. Can someone point me to someplace beside motorhaven.

Old 07-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Go to NAPA and get there tubing bender in the hand tool section. It doesn't cost much but you can make nice neat bends and the line won't kink on you. You could also consider using nylon tubing. That is what is used on the newer vehicles today. Just a thought.

Gear Up

Old 07-16-2004, 10:21 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
What Gear Up said. It's a skill you'll be happy you took the time to learn. Tools are cheap and you'll save a small fortune after a vehicle or two. Mastering the double flare is a bit tricky the first couple times. Same tool will do brake line, fuel line, trans cooler line, vacuum modulator, etc.

Only other advice I have is that I have a little chant I sing the whole time I am making lines.

"Put the fitting on BEFORE you flare it dummy................ Put the fitting on BEFORE you flare it stupid"

The chant doesn't always work for me though. I still do it.

Old 07-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Had to purchase the tubing bender when I built a kit car for a client in the Twin Cities. It worked well for getting everything tucked away neatly and parallel on the frame. I found compression fitting to work well when workng on splicing lines also. I haven't located a good steel tubing flaring tool as yet so I usually get multiple lines and splice with compression fittings when needed and it works well.
By the way the kit car was a 29 Mercedes Roadster.

Gear Up

Old 07-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Scott123
Elder User
I made a bad discovery in Springfield MO last week--they have a Harbor Freight tool store now. I picked up a nice tube bender and a double flaring kit all for about $17 or $18 total. Unfortunately, my spree didn't stop there, but it was payday last week and the wife wasn't with me either.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:45 PM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Fenders Flaring Chant

Yo Fenders! I'm gonna try your chant and through in a couple of "Ohhhhhhhmmmms" for good measure. Did a little brake line work myself last week and used a borrowed KD double flare tool and some line from CarQuest. Stressed over getting the flare right and was quite pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't any big deal - came out great! Then I noticed that I'd stressed over the process so much I left the fitting sitting on the bench . Oh well...yet another "learning experience" and what the hey...brake line is pretty cheap stuff. Wish I could say I only did it once in the process...sigh. But hey! It doesn't leak and it sure is "purty"!

Leaks Not cool enough to do it right the first time but onery enough to keep messing up tubing until it's right!

Old 07-19-2004, 10:33 PM
boilerbots
Senior User
I can't remember to do the chant much less put the fitting on. I need to make a CD track saying you chant and then leave it playing endlessly while I do my work.

Last month I was making a transmission line and after I flared I realized I didn't put the fitting on the line so I cut off the flare and then flared it again. Then I realized the 2nd time I forgot to put the fitting on the line. At this point the line was to short to use so I had to start over again.

Have you ever flaired your first end and realize you didn't put the fitting on so you end up working the fitting along the whole length of tube to the other end, done that a few times also