2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your truck's suspension "settling"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 06:01 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your truck's suspension "settling"?

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine and he was telling me about a problem he's having regarding the suspension or something related to it.

He's got an 04 stock Fx4 SuperCrew that was built in late November, 2003 with no modifications and roughly 3000 miles.

Basically, the problem is that he can pull up to another Fx4 SuperCrew in a parking lot or the dealership on level ground and the stance, or height of his truck, is visibly lower by a couple inches in the rear and somewhat in the front.

Even the dealer was shocked by this but their answer was that there's a "settling period". After pressing the issue a bit, he found out that Ford has already issued 9 different serial or model numbers for the suspension used on the truck...that seems like a lot for a vehicle that's been in production for roughly a year so it may be indicating that Ford knows about a problem that the consumer doesn't yet. The puzzling part is that the dealership measured his suspension - not sure how, but he thought it was the spacing between the suspension and the frame and it was only 2.5 millimeters off, well within Ford's tolerance range of 2 - 6 mm.

So the point of my post is to find out if anyone else has noticed a similar problem. I haven't checked my truck against another yet, but I'm very curious now.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:10 PM
JohnBoy2
Senior User
I've boticed that on just about every make and model truck you can think of.

Tires (size and brand), tire pressure, wheels, 2x4, 4x4, tow package, optional suspension, OEM shocks all affect it. And that doesn't even mention that it's pretty popular to have F-150's raised. No need to worry about it.

Old 07-15-2004, 11:26 PM
jhromy
Senior User
i dont think he's talking about different models of the f150...he is talking about in general it is lower than an equal f150, im sure dealer checked out tire pressure and if it was tire pressure im sure they would notice the tire being underinflated in the back.