how do I install a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Rangerman37048
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do I install a turbo?

Hey I got a 93 ranger 3 liter and I'm gonna install a T3 turbo on it. I got the k&n airfilter set up on my truck. So here is what I've heard about the instalation of a turbo.

1. You don't have to tie it into the exhaust
2. You can tie one into the alternator so it'll kick in when you set your foot down on the gas

Is any of this true? If the 1st one is true I was planning on using the exhaust half of the turbo to draw engine heat out of the engine comartment to help keep the engine cool.

Rangerman

"Drive it like you stole it"

Old 07-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Yes, turbos are exhaust driven....that's what turns the compressor.

Old 07-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Dodge41
Senior User
1st off, turbochargers are exhaust driven. One impeller turns from the exhaust passing buy it, that shaft its connected to turns another impeller that pulls in air and compresses it. If you don't understand how a turbo works then you don't need to try to put one on your truck. Now im not trying to be mean or rude by no means. Im just telling you so you dont mess anything up. Turbos can be complicated. You have to select one based on a turbo map, making sure its what your engine needs. In most cases you have to prep the engine if you plan on running alot of boost. You have to run oil and water lines, and other important stuff. What you are probably talking about, since you mentioned it being electric, is the little gimmick electric trubo they have on ebay. Those don’t work they are bildge pumps for boats. They cant supply the cfm and engine needs at ANY given rpm and will actually make your engine loose power due to resistance in air flow. If you are serious about doing this, read up on this subject, make sure you know what you are doing before you go in head first.

Old 07-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Rangerman37048
New User
thanks

Dodge is right I'm all about info and that's what I'm trying to do is to figureout what I'm getting myself into before I start so that if I do foul up it's only minor or I don't foul up at all. Keep the info comin.

Old 07-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Dodge41
Senior User
1993 ranger 3.0 engine right? Ok what are you making horsepower wise 147 something like that? First off how many miles are on it? You DONT want to turbo a high milage engine. Also its a v6, v6's dont take to turbos as well as inline engines, just think about it, a 4 cylinder vs a 6 cylinder a 4 has more main caps holding the crank on and thats important when you turn up the boost. lets say you are making 147 hp, and you decided to run 7 -8 pounds of boost( average amout for stock engine internals), that at most will make 50% more hp so know you are making about 220 hp. Not really a whole lot of hp for the money you will spend. Expect to spend, not including an engine rebuild to handle it if you need it, 1000-3000 on a project like this. It can become expensive. Im not saying you cant do it for less using junkyard turbos and what not, im just saying it can become expensive. If you really want to turbo something go get a turbo 2.3 out of a merkur or turbo coupe. With the right mounts that will fit right into your ranger, thats an option. What you need to do is decided what you want to do with this truck. Is it a daily driver? Weekend track warrior? or do you just want to smoke some ppl in town? After you decided what you want you need to figure out the best way to make the hp you want . Fix up the old engine, swap in another. And also very important, what will your budget let you do.

Old 07-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Rangerman37048
New User
yeah its a 3.0 v6 with dual pipes and no mufflers. It's a daily driver and I just want some extra hp without the gas bill so cams are out of the question. Mainly I'm lookin to make the gas that it already puts in it more explosive without blowin myself up...hence the turbo idea. Engine swaps are out of the question cause they are illegal in my state (though it's unconstitutional for them to pass such a law). Though I'd love to get my hands on a 287 or a 289 or even a 5.0(evil grin) a 287 would be more to my liking though. I need something that pays for it's self over time not just something I have to continually buy like nitrous (even though I don't want nitrous). I need it cheap as that I already know i can get a t3 for 150 used. Milage is good it's under 100,000. Any thoughts? I'm kinda new to auto and I know I have a lot to learn.

Old 07-17-2004, 04:38 PM
StrangeRanger
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For starters, you need to read up on the subject of turbos. Get Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and read it carefully. Lots of info about selecting the proper turbo, installation, fuel system and ignition mods, etc. BTW not all T03s are equal, for a 3.0 litre engine you're going to need a fairly large compressor trim and a very high turbine A/R

Old 07-17-2004, 07:53 PM
southernfordman
Senior User
i would hook it to your exhaust close to the manifold as possible put a 2 1/2 inch or 3 inch exhaust on and a intercooler and i would not do a turbo on a high mileage engine and if you do do it i would recommend a pyrometer and a boost gauge

Old 07-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Rangerman37048
New User
on the money

I agree I was going to go with a pyrometer anyways the last thing I need is for a melted off piece of metal to distroy my engine. And of course a boost meter cause too much air is a bad thing. Keep the info comin.

Old 07-17-2004, 08:34 PM
southernfordman
Senior User
i was going by how it is set up on my f-250

Old 07-17-2004, 08:38 PM
southernfordman
Senior User
go to howstuffworks.com then click on auto stuff than the top left under top subjects click turbochargers

Old 07-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Dodge41
Senior User
If your wanting to put a turbo on to gain HP without the gas bill then your going the wrong route. When you put more air in there you also have to add more gas. A turbo 4 cylinder can use as much gas as a na v8 engine. If your wanting to add more hp without the gas then clean up the flow in your engine. Anyway you look at it your engine is an air pump. The more air/fuel you flow and the less restrictive it is the more hp you gain. There are things you can do to help this like a different intake port and polish intake and heads bigger exhaust for less restriction, even a good tune up helps.
If your wanting better acceleration you can always swap the gears out in the diffy. Of corse thats a trade off as well. You probably either have a 7.5 or an 8.8 out back. Im not sure waht you have but you can go lower. example if you have a 2.75 how about a 3.25 or 3.50, or if you already have the 3.50 go to 3.73 or 4.11. Of corse this will raise your rpm and reduce gas milage by how much lower you go, but it will offer more accleration. Now when I say lower mpg im not talking big numbers here since im sure your worried about that. Also their are plenty of online caculators to help you figure out what rpm you will be at any give speed. if you need some ill post a few sites.
Like ive said im sure your after better acceleration and not to see what your top speed is so their are other routes beside a turbo. Yes turbos are great, I agree. But forced induction can be expensive and like I said ealier you have to decided what you want. If can make x about of hp for 300 bucks and the same amout of hp for 3000 dollars................then why spend the extra money?
Is this the info you are wanting or should i just shut up now?lol

Last edited by Dodge41; 07-17-2004 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Rangerman37048
New User
what about the valves?

What about scavaging like racecars? I know I don't need it at that level but would a little bit hurt or help?

Old 07-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Dodge41
Senior User
Are your refering to grinding around the intake valve to help the air/fuel go into the clyinder oppisite the side of the exhaust valve so more air fuel is sucked in and not pulled out?

Old 07-17-2004, 11:55 PM
Rangerman37048
New User
I guess that one way of doing it the other is to let the valves open almost at the sam time through lift and duration of the cam.

Quick Reply: how do I install a turbo?