Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0L Engine; Changing Plugs, Wires, Cap, And Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0L Engine; Changing Plugs, Wires, Cap, And Rotor

I can't decide whether I want to change the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor myself or if I want to get my mechanic to do it. I can do it myself, but I'm not sure if I can get to some of the plugs.

If someone who has changed their own plugs could offer some advice on this, I would be greatful .

I plan on going to Autolite Double Platinum plugs. I want to give them a shot, just to prove if they'll work with the 5.0L or not. The wires that I'm going to get are Bosch with a lifetime warranty. I am also looking at a Conrad Distributor Cap and Rotor kit. It's their Professional Red Line series with brass inserts. I figure that it would be worth a shot.

I've never really messed with a cap and rotor either, so if anyone here has done that also, let me in on some tips .

Thanks for any insight.

Nightrain

Old 07-13-2004, 10:45 PM
FlaresideGlenn
Senior User
Its a fairly simple job, but getting at the two rear plugs on the passenger side can take some patience. I changed all of mine in about an hour in my driveway. Changing the cap and rotor is simple as well, just make sure you put the wires on the cap in the same order they came off in or your in for the headache of figuring out which wires you crossed.......
Glenn

Old 07-13-2004, 11:20 PM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's nothing that you can't do, changing plugs on a 5.0 is nothing compared trying to change em' on a new car, you don't have to take the whole damn engine compartment apart. I'd pass on the Platinum plug though.

Old 07-14-2004, 12:29 AM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FlaresideGlenn
Its a fairly simple job, but getting at the two rear plugs on the passenger side can take some patience. I changed all of mine in about an hour in my driveway. Changing the cap and rotor is simple as well, just make sure you put the wires on the cap in the same order they came off in or your in for the headache of figuring out which wires you crossed.......
Glenn
Thanks for the tip. I'll probably pick me up a set of those knuckles to go on the end of my extension to possibly make the job easier. I figure that will help.

Originally Posted by acerockola77
It's nothing that you can't do, changing plugs on a 5.0 is nothing compared trying to change em' on a new car, you don't have to take the whole damn engine compartment apart. I'd pass on the Platinum plug though.
I figured that it looked pretty easy, but I wasn't sure. Thought that I'd ask some people who've had some experience with these trucks .

What's the deal on the Platinum plugs? Some people reccomend them, some don't. I'm just curious on what the deal is.

Nightrain

Old 07-14-2004, 12:37 AM
wojo1989
Junior User
I don't have personal experience with them but have heard enough people complain about performance with the platinums. You really can't beat the standard Motorsport plug.

Steve

Old 07-14-2004, 12:48 AM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Thanks wojo1989.

What about the Autolite Resistor Spark Plug? I figure that it's the standard plug. It's Part Number is 25. It says that it's "OE Style". I guess that's the one.

Either way, the Double Platinums are $3.99 each and the Resistors are $1.29 each. We all know that the Resistors work, but the DP's are *iffy*. I'm not gonna make a $2.70 mistake. I'm sticking with the Resistors!

Nightrain

Old 07-14-2004, 11:12 AM
wookiepompitus
Freshman User
i just recently changed the spark plugs and wires on my truck i got a 5.0 in my truck the best plugs i think for a ford would be the autolite 25's it hink the one that is the hardest would be the front one on the passenger side is where the alternater is but id go with the autolites as for the distributor cap and rotor go with MSD if you got the money it'll be well worth the price

Old 07-14-2004, 01:35 PM
DannyP
Elder User
No tuneup is complete without a fuel filter change as well. Very important on fuel injected vehicles. You can ruin performance as well as a fuel pump if keep running a dirty filter.
DannyP

Old 07-14-2004, 02:33 PM
dne99fa
Junior User
i switched to the bosch platinum 2 plugs right after i got my truck(1993 5.0 EFI) and notice a big difference in the accelleration of my truck with them, plugs that i took out where motorcraft, gapped correctly, and did not have any deposits on it (previous owner had it about a year, new plugs when he bought it, very light driving, no towing)

Old 07-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Lumpy87
Senior User
Originally Posted by wojo1989
I don't have personal experience with them but have heard enough people complain about performance with the platinums. You really can't beat the standard Motorsport plug.

Steve
They just seem to work best in Fords for some reason.

Avoid crossfire from the wires touching. I went round and round with this problem, especially after I got a Blaster coil even with good Taylor wires.