1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sound System Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 07:00 PM
1low50
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 50 and just used 4 little L brackets to mount it under the dash. I even bought an original radio to fill the void of where there is supposed to be one. I saw this in an el co and decided that it would look good. I think it does. Dont cut the dash because they are right, once its cut it will probably never go back and it never looks right anyhow. The cookie pan idea seems ideal and hey its better to spend a few bucks and still be able to change it than to cut a big hole and have to keep it that way.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:07 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Yikes. I looked at that overhead console at roddoors.com, and at Jag Red 54's pics. That thing is a lot bigger than I thought.

We're starting to take another look at the under-dash situation. I think the heater hoses can be pushed around to make room for the deck. About the cake-pan idea -- it sounds good overall. But .. wouldn't the slanted edges of the pan make the deck either face downward or not sit flush with the front of the pan? Also, how would you mount it so that it's really sturdy?

Old 07-14-2004, 08:13 PM
danlee
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put an AM/FM/CD unit in an Polished Aluminum Overhead Console made by Valley Manufacturing. I had to modifiy it somewhat, but it fits like it was made for my truck. I also had a suspended headliner, which makes it easy to hide wiring.

Last edited by danlee; 07-14-2004 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:17 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kooper909

57_Ford, do you have any photos of the deck mounted next to the steering column? I thought about that spot as well, but I thought reaching around or through the steering wheel would be annoying. Is it a convenient spot after all?
Kooper, Here is a pic not the best thou.

I find it to be conveniet here. just reach around the steering wheel. I thought about making a shelf up top and puting it their but this is easy.

Old 07-14-2004, 09:21 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oops, That was the wrong one, That is were I put the speakers, hear is the radio.

Old 07-15-2004, 07:39 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
Hi

Look at www.autoloc.com they have a ABS plastic under dash box for hanging radios, not sure what the price is. This is not the only place that sells these things. Look in some of the street rod mags for other places.

I am of the other school and I would place it neatly in the dash so it can be easy reached, the factory placed it there for the same reason but thats just me.

One other thought how/where are you going to place the antenna if you don't want to cut the dash for the radio then would you want to cut the body for a antenna?

That same place offers a hidden antenna kit you may want to look at that also.

I cut my dash for the radio but I am going to install a hidden antenna

Do what you want it's you ride.

You and your dad are doing a great job keep it up.

Chuck

Old 07-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I am going to use a remote setup mounted under the seat and plug my MP3 player into it. Some radios have an auxiliary input. So I turn on the radio and have a remote to control it them plug the MP3 player into the Auxiliary input. I am going under the seat beacuase my system is a positive ground and I need to isolate the stereo in rubber mounts to make it work.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:40 AM
nixer
Senior User
jcwhitney also has the plastic mouting box. im unsure of the price or if they still carry it

Old 07-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is a remote Sony unit. You only have to touch the unit once when you first turn it on. I did not mention that possible option before because he said he had already purchased his stereo unit. And I already know that some stereo officianados are turning their noses up into the air because of the Sony purchase. But I like it and I didn't have to spend $300 bucks and buy all the other components. I admit it already, I'm cheap! Good luck, John

Old 07-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what it's worth, the VERY COOLEST setup I have seen was in a 56 where the guy mounted the radio/CD in a box that stowed (hidden) behind the lower dash and then swung down (motorized) when he pushed an ON switch. Way cool! No doubt it is a bit pricy and I didn't have the cajones to ask how much, but it was an impressive setup, as was most of the rest of this show-winner.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:51 PM
kooper909
Elder User
We got the sound system in a while ago.

We fabricated a steel bracket and mounted the deck below the dash, next to the steering column. It's convenient enough, and we didn't have to do any cutting.

Also, we made some nice door access panels out of mahogany plywood, and stained and varnished them. The speakers are mounted in those, with a rubber flap over each one to shield them from dripping water.

As for an antenna, I don't want one. If I ever get one it will be a hidden one .. I like the look of my truck without an antenna.

And that just about wraps that up. I'll get some pictures up soon. The system sounds awesome.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:10 AM
Glackowitz
Senior User
My Truck has the stock speaker holes in the top of the dash, the stock AM radio holes and someone added a clock next to the radio...I plan to fill all the holes and get it all smooth again. Then since technology is so great these days..I plan to add an iPod as my main audio source, no holes and speakers will be in custom pods I paln to build and hidden amps under or behind seat. My 1st truck had a cool 8track in it when I bought it...then after working in the audio industry for years I decided to bump up the system and went to a cool tape deck...before cd's were out, added seperates and subs to later realize I chopped up my doors pretty good and coulnd do much about it other than make a set of stainless plates and cover it up

Just my thoughts and experiences

Glack

Old 07-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, good idea fabricating your own door skins. That beats cutting up the originals! Everyone says "Well you can get new ones" but why go through that? If you decide to replace them, you don't have to go out fishing around for a replacement pair - besides, it all goes back to "They've been okay for the past 44 years, why screw them up now!?"

Also, I wanted to tell you that you can get a hidden antenna from a good car audio shop. It can mount under your dash, it's really short, but powerful enough not to cause fade. It's meant to be hidden under the dash, and runs about $30. That's what I'm going to get for the 'Daisy when I get back to Kansas. There's a nice car audio shop in Newton!

Old 07-27-2004, 06:35 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Cool. We could have cut up the door panels if we wanted ... we already have a spare pair, since we replaced the truck's doors.

Old 08-09-2004, 05:34 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Talking

Alright, finally, some photos. We fabricated a simple steel bracket to mount the deck below the dash, next to the steering column. We mounted the speakers (Alpine 6x9s, they are awesome) in homemade mahogany door access panels.

Quick Reply: Sound System Installation