Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I need a diagram of the fuel supply

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Technitom
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
kwikkordead,
I have the 99 factory service manual on cd, helmic charges $170 for it I got mine on ebay for $30 including shipping, and it is not a copy, its the original manual... lemme know what you need

tom

Old 07-19-2004, 12:08 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Technitom
kwikkordead,
I have the 99 factory service manual on cd, helmic charges $170 for it I got mine on ebay for $30 including shipping, and it is not a copy, its the original manual... lemme know what you need

tom
Yes I want it! Email me and I'll work it out with you.

Old 07-19-2004, 04:27 AM
Technitom
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
check your email

Old 07-23-2004, 11:41 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Ok a week has passed and I am reporting back. I can't report on mileage because it's too soon.
The engine is noticably quieter all around, but I now have a much heavier injector knock at idle if I let it idle for more than a minute. Sounds like a bad rod bearing. UGH. I think that I am going to save up for a full external regulator system and replace #8 injector with the regular type and redo all the injector o-rings while I am in there. To all the people that know these engines closely please advise. 50k on the vehicle.

Old 07-24-2004, 02:01 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't believe your 99 has a LL injector in it. You should have all AD injectors.

Old 07-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cookie88
I don't believe your 99 has a LL injector in it. You should have all AD injectors.
Oh really. I thought they all had it. Mine is a California model if that makes any difference.

Last edited by Kwikkordead; 07-24-2004 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:35 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They definately do not all have them. Ford introduced the LL injector in the late 99, early 00 time frame as a fix for cackle (curious since the corporate stance is cackle dosen't exist), and they only ran through the 01 model year.

Mine does have the long lead injector, but as far as I can tell there is no physical difference between it and a standard AD injector, it seems that only (maybe) the solenoind on the injector and the PCM programming are different.

Anyways. Mine has never had cackle or an idle knock (before or after the reg. fuel system) so I've never bothered to replace the LL.

Old 07-25-2004, 08:12 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Mine has a production date of 05/99, so I would assume that mine is not LL equipped?
This dang idle knock is driving me crazy. Today it was totally silent. Other days it goes tink tink tink tink like someone is tapping on the block with a ball peen hammer. I welcome any suggestions you might have.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Lagerhead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't read all of this but I'm going to say that I to was getting knock/cackle ,and in my southern way of thinking I figurerd at if 6 and 8 fire in order than to keep the fule rail full of fule we need to feed that end of the rail. so I went down and had a hydrolic line made to feed the head from the rear I also replaced the right line so they would be the same they are -6. The check valves are no more the truck is quiter than ever. Iam very pleased with the out come of this project and if I ever want to do regulated return I just need to make few lines for the front ports. But I dno't think I will have to do that because with stock injectors and trubo a chip 4" DP my truck made 336hp/671ftlbs trq at the rear wheels

Old 07-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Lagerhead
I didn't read all of this but I'm going to say that I to was getting knock/cackle ,and in my southern way of thinking I figurerd at if 6 and 8 fire in order than to keep the fule rail full of fule we need to feed that end of the rail. so I went down and had a hydrolic line made to feed the head from the rear I also replaced the right line so they would be the same they are -6. The check valves are no more the truck is quiter than ever. Iam very pleased with the out come of this project and if I ever want to do regulated return I just need to make few lines for the front ports. But I dno't think I will have to do that because with stock injectors and trubo a chip 4" DP my truck made 336hp/671ftlbs trq at the rear wheels
Thank you for the suggestion. I tend to agree with you on the rear feed. Looks like I'll just have to do it. Curious as to the reason you removed the check valves. To make the fuel pump a psuedo accumulator?

Old 07-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Lagerhead
Senior User
Ford calls them check valves but thet are more like restrictorsthe make PATS airs foamy beer good foamy fuel bad

Old 08-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
So I got up this morning early and went down to work to complete the fuel mods that I started on the truck. What I ended up doing to the engine was to remove the steel fuel lines and check valves from the fuel filter housing to the cylinder heads. I then installed some standard 1/8 NPT fittings to the heads with barb fittings on them to accept 1/4 inch high pressure fuel line. I went from the fuel filter housing to the rear fitting on each head. I then had the fuel exiting on the front port on each head going into a hose that went up to a common block with one exit on it with a .45mm oriface on it. That hose went to a tee on the grey fuel return hose down on the frame below the steering shaft. The engine now sounds much different and quite a bit more power. All the PATS air that is being made by the injectors are being bled off through this oriface. It's small enough to not overload the fuel supply and drop the fuel pressure. The fuel pump is more than capable of keeping up with the added small overhead. And the total cost is about $90.00 for everything.
The engine now sounds like a real diesel with a smooth even GRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Before it would go GRR-rattle-GRR-rattle-GRRR-rattle. And lots more low end torque. LOTS more. I thought the clutch was going to start slipping, and all this below 2000 RPM!!!
Here's a crude picture of what I did. Man, I tell ya'all it works great!

Old 08-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Lagerhead
Senior User
I'm glad it helped your truck you now have what is basicly a 94 to 97 fuel system and you nevery hear about one of them with cackel

Old 08-01-2004, 11:46 AM
heatmon
Senior User
Thumbs up PSD Cackle

Kwikkordead,

Thanks for taking the time to document the process of eliminating the air in fuel and thereby eliminating the cackle. I know I'll be doing this soon.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
I still have that injector knock at idle that got me started on all this, but I am going to ignore it. When it's time to do injector o-rings, I'll check for the LL injector and put in a short one if it's equipped with it. There is such a vast improvement overall, that aside, that I am very glad that I did all this. Especially the midrange torque increase. I have a completly stock truck other than what I just did. When I get some more free time I'll post some pictures. The little block with the oriface fits perfectly under the HPOP cover.

Quick Reply: I need a diagram of the fuel supply