General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Country Music

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 01:26 AM
ShawnZ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Country Music

Why had country music gotten such a bad rap with younger people? I consider myself young still (19) and ever since I can remember kids my age and younger for the most part hate it.

I grew up in a small (growing) city, so I was raised with a small town mentality, and I can relate to some of the nestalgic songs, and just like the type of music. I listen to pretty much anything and everything (in english anyways) but I find that I have gravitated twards country more and more lately.

Gimme your thoughts

Old 07-13-2004, 01:37 AM
The Don
Tuned
Originally Posted by ShawnZ
Why had country music gotten such a bad rap with younger people? I consider myself young still (19) and ever since I can remember kids my age and younger for the most part hate it.

I grew up in a small (growing) city, so I was raised with a small town mentality, and I can relate to some of the nestalgic songs, and just like the type of music. I listen to pretty much anything and everything (in english anyways) but I find that I have gravitated twards country more and more lately.

Gimme your thoughts
i have come across the EXACT same thing in my town...im 1 year older than you at 20...i have always loved country music it used to be all that i would ever listen to...my mother always had the radio on and tuned to 96.5FM which was our local country station...however as i went out into the world and grew older from the kids around me never seemed to like country...i to started to listen to most of the kinds of music out there. but for me country is the best out there for me.

Signed,
The Don

Old 07-13-2004, 02:29 AM
peppy
Postmaster
My 10 year old nephew told me he hates country music. He tells me Nirvana is the greatest band. So I ask him who the singer is, and what he's doing now. He says he doesnt know, and doesnt care. He has an IQ of like a billion, but cant tell reality from fantasy sometimes. So I told him to have an open mind and learn to like country, or spend more time walkin.

Old 07-13-2004, 02:31 AM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
Country is my second choice of music, but if Shania or Faith are singing...I'm listening. Any group but them dang Dixie Chicks

Old 07-13-2004, 02:39 AM
peppy
Postmaster
I kinda like the Dixie Chicks. Now that they arent played to death, if at all, its nice to hear em once in a while.
I've been have'n a hard time now and then tellin country from top 40. That bothers me.

Old 07-13-2004, 03:34 AM
ShawnZ
Senior User
I could take 'em or leave 'em

Old 07-13-2004, 06:27 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Metal, Rap, Hip Hop and Country...don't like any of them. If they're playing Country music live...in a bar...I'll listen for a little while, but that's it. Whenever I hear a Country song I have visions of The Blues Brothers playing 'the cage' at Bob's Country Bunker.

MR

Old 07-13-2004, 06:30 AM
peppy
Postmaster
Yea man...............
We got both kinds....country, and western. I love that movie.
So what kinda music is it V8......NPR?
Its all about the WGRR isnt it?

Old 07-13-2004, 07:47 AM
fatman66
Senior User
I guess its where you are, I'm 25 but when i was 18 and in high school country was accepted and a lot of guys started listening to it along with anything else. This was in a quasi-hicktown in western NY. I could care less if some punk kids hate it they listen to crap and have no taste, turn on MTV and you'll see what I mean.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:48 AM
250-1968_campspecial
Senior User
i hate mtv power to cmt and fuse

u turn on mtv its rap more rap and more rap

and they talk about teh same thing cars, money, gurls, and shooting

half these punks are just irratating

i listen to toby kieth and stuff, little garth brooks, brooks and duinn etc
listen to nirvana , ozzy and just plain classic rock including the lead, lynyrd skynyrd etc along with tesla

oh ya
He tells me Nirvana is the greatest band. So I ask him who the singer is, and what he's doing now. He says he doesnt know, and doesnt care.

hes dead he killed himselft

Old 07-13-2004, 08:50 AM
88beater
Freshman User
Im from a little hick town and at college, my roommates every year (always different) are like why do you listen to that crap? (country music) Of course, I tell them I will listen to what I want and they proclaim they hate it and will never ever have it on their computer...blah blah, blah..

The best part is, by the end of the year, every one of my past roomies (working on the current ones) have asked me to send them some good country MP3's...haha

I converting people one by one. haha.

Old 07-13-2004, 09:43 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I never used to listen to Country, just Bluegrass and Classic Rock, a few years ago I started learning some Country on the guitar, and found myself listening to it more and more, and liking it. I'm not too impressed with Big and Rich though, I change the station when they come on. I like Alan Jackson, Toby Keith, Merle, the Chicks, Allison Krause, David Alan Coe, Keith Whitley, George Strait, George Jones, just to name a few. My order of preference in music is:
Bluegrass
Celtic
Country
Classic Rock
Classical
Gypsy Jazz
Big Band jazz
and a whole bunch of other things. No metal, rap, alternative or any of that sory of thing. Just gives me a headache. Guess I'm turnin' into an old fart. -TD

Old 07-13-2004, 09:53 AM
The Don
Tuned
Originally Posted by peppy
He has an IQ of like a billion, but cant tell reality from fantasy sometimes.
ok now that youve said that i gotta hear some stories on what he does.

Signed,
The Don

Old 07-13-2004, 09:57 AM
The Don
Tuned
Originally Posted by MrOldV8
Whenever I hear a Country song I have visions of The Blues Brothers playing 'the cage' at Bob's Country Bunker.

MR
i love that movie...i have always if i could start a place like bobs country bunker...and actually name it Bobs Country Bunker...you know without any problems from the movie people and their lawyers

Signed,
The Don

Old 07-13-2004, 05:23 PM
thunderguns71
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I used to be a fan of county, but now so many different people are in it I lost intrest and some of the songs dont even sound "country." Maybe its just me. Around were i live thats all you hear is country. Up until the mid 90's country was about all I listend to, after that it seemed to be aiming towards a new generation and I didnt like the music or the songs anymore. Now Im a die hard rock fan, mostly the older stuff, b/c I know it'll never change lol. Plus it makes me feel better after I listen to it, unlike country which kinda made me think to much on my past. O well just my opinion , I wasnt trying to bash country music to much

Quick Reply: Country Music