Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Fuel Filter Change - '99 XLT 4.0L SOHV

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 05:42 PM
turbo menace
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-Jul-02 AT 06:43 PM (EST)]I need to change the fuel filter on my Explorer...it looks nothing like the fuel filter on my 5.0L Mustang.

This thing has two rectangular boxes mounted on a braket with electrical wiring that secures to the floorboard underneath the spare tire.

The local speedy oil change place told my wife it is a dealer-type job. Is this true??? I like to think I can tackle most jobs like this, but don't recognize this new-type fuel filter or the connections.

Is it simple Ford 0-ring spring-lock connectors??? About how much is this fuel filter from the dealer???

TIA
Harold

Old 07-05-2002, 01:23 PM
reberhardt
Elder User

That is not your fuel filter. That is your charcoal canister. Your fuel filter is mounted to the frame, under the driver's seat with a shield covering it.

Old 07-05-2002, 01:45 PM
winfordr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed the filter on my 98 v8. It is just like the one on my Mustang except it has longer spouts, so the mustang filter won't work.

Winford

Old 07-08-2002, 11:14 PM
nightri1
Freshman User

Old 07-10-2002, 02:32 PM
turbo menace
New User

Doh...now I understand...just assumed everything would be in about the same place as on my '88 5.0L Mustang.

One last stupid question...do the fuel lines just slip onto the fuel filter ends. I removed the metal clips at each end and tugged/wiggled, but the fuel lines wouldn't come off. I didn't want to break anything so I stopped...only vehicle right now.

Thanks again,
Harold

Old 07-10-2002, 05:16 PM
reberhardt
Elder User

No there are retaining springs that grip on to the filter (in addition to the clips you removed). They require a fuel/ac line removal tool to get them off. Basically all the tool is is an assortment of rings of different sizes with prongs around the center. You slip it over the fuel line and push it into the end of the fuel line. When you press it in, it will release the spring and then the fuel line will slide right off (assuming corrosion doesn't cause it to stick). The tool costs about $6 at most automotive stores (Checkers, Autozone, Murray's, Pep Boys).

Be sure and release the fuel pressure on your system first unless you like the taste of gasoline. I used the method in my Haynes Manual by disconnecting the connector to my fuel pump shut-off switch (at edge of carpen on passenger side) and running the engine until it died. It has been a couple of years since I did mine so it might have been turn the key over a few times with the connector removed. Another method involves releasing the pressure at the valve under your hood. I didn't know if fuel would shoot out the valve by doing that and since I didn't want to drench my engine in fuel, I chose the Haynes method.

Old 07-10-2002, 09:06 PM
turbo menace
New User

Thanks for the response...should be a piece of cake now that I understand the "rules."

Harold

Old 07-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Tim15840
New User

Even with running the engine 'til it died after tripping the fuel pump switch, be careful. I did mine and still got a shower.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:45 PM
reberhardt
Elder User

The fuel filter and lines will still be full of fuel, but at least they shouldn't be under pressure. Definately not something to do while smoking and try and lay off to the side as much as you can when taking the first line off. Have a catch pan under it as well so you don't have to lay in the spilled fuel.