General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

I'm infected.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm infected.

No...not like that...

My computer has Spyware or something and I cannot get rid of it. **** and crap keeps getting in my Favorites. I have theses ***** files that I didn;t put on. I tried to go and manually remove it all but it's back upon start-up.

I get pop-ups (even with my Google pop-up blocker) even when my browser isn't open (I have DSL).

I run the free stuff ie. Spybot & Ad-aware to no avail. I run XP Professional and have the Firewall enabled.

I need something that will sweep my computer clean and I don't care the cost....well kinda.

Got suggestions?

Old 07-12-2004, 06:03 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Download and use AdAware AND spybot again, making sure they are updated. I'd also try running them while in safe mode. Visit downloads.com for them. I'c suggest making the backups just in case. You might also try using the restore in windows.

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 07-12-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:14 PM
fn250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be aware that by using the restore you will lose any data or files that have been added since your last restore point (i.e. Restore point in Jan, any files: pics, music, etc. saved after will be deleted).

I usually don't risk trying to fix problems like that, usually I back up any files, and reinstall windows. Running NAV, PC-Cillin, and any else I can think of to double, triple check backed up files. Once a comp is infected, it's never really the same. Sorry for being the bearer of bad news.

On the bright side, you get to have a fresh install of XP if you decide to go this route.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

Go get SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster. Run them along with Adaware and update each weekly.
Go to www.download.com for adaware.
Go to www.javacoolsoftware.com for Spywareguard and SpywareBlaster. Run them BOTH. One runs constantly in the background. As soon as they are downloaded...do immediate "check for updates", then scan your computer.

Some spyware won't let you do a system restore nor an upgrade to your Norton.

Goodluck. I've not caught a thing in over a year, since I loaded these programs.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:26 PM
TrunkSlammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need something that will sweep my computer clean and I don't care the cost....well kinda.

Fly me out there, and I'll fix it for FREE!

or try here

Old 07-12-2004, 07:29 PM
dean58
Junior User
The perfect solution to all your problems is too dump your Win XP PCs and get a real computer.... Once you go Mac you'll never go back!!! No spyware, no viruses, no pop-ups. The most trouble free OS out there in OS X.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:55 PM
horse_trader
Senior User
Short of trashing my other older pc....
anyone know dos executions, or recommended actions to take to get saved picture/documents
before bringing it to the local repair shop.
The system shuts off in the middle of trying to access micro trend etc. etc.
\
thanks

Old 07-12-2004, 09:07 PM
peppy
Postmaster
Windows...........Microsoft Works...........right out the windows.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Take it to your local PC shop and let them fix it.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:52 PM
mikebon08
Posting Guru

Firewall or not, some web sites will load crap through the browser. Also, depending on what you download, some of the "neat" stuff has a hidden payload of garbage. I spent about five hours this evening cleaning up a couple friends' systems: Bonzi Buddy, search bars, music downloaders, etc. Ad-aware caught 2442 "objects" on one and about 900 on the second, and neither of those are used for anything vulgar--they're just regular home PCs, used by typical families.

Zone Alarm is a decent firewall, there's a free version that's good enough for home internet users. Ad-aware as several others have mentioned, make sure you update it; also CWShredder; they are both free. I use Norton Systemworks, which has antivirus, Ghost, and some other programs that I don't use much, but MacAfee and PC-Cillin work as well, so it's a matter of preference. I get NSW 2003 cd's off eBay for about $8 apiece with shipping and send them with the computers I work on, they include a year of updates, so I use it on my own systems too. Trend and Norton both have free online virus scans and they seem to work okay too, just don't give you always-on protection.

Last edited by mikebon08; 07-13-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:26 AM
The Don
Tuned
dude i have the same problem with both my computers one with DSL and one that started having the problem before i installed DSL. i have tried several times to remove this problem and have had little sucess. i will be watching this thread very carefully.

Signed,
The Don

Old 07-13-2004, 03:33 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Originally Posted by dean58
The perfect solution to all your problems is too dump your Win XP PCs and get a real computer.... Once you go Mac you'll never go back!!! No spyware, no viruses, no pop-ups. The most trouble free OS out there in OS X.
Yes...I should have never switched over. I got the computer for free through a company contest a year ago...

I've restored to prior point to no avail. I'll visit the site Fordlover' suggested!

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2004, 06:15 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Update:

I "fixed" what was annoying me.

Thanks to Fordlover1951, I dowloaded those two Spyware programs. Works great!

I updated (I think) my Ad-aware. I say "I think" because I ran it today and it congratualted me for being clean. I ran it tonight and it found over 80 things!!

I restored to a point in June that I knew worked okay prior to the install of my wireless network.

AND...

I also re-installed ZoneLabs Firewall. I cannot remember why it is I deleted it before...I like it because I can restrict programs from accessing the Internet. Which I did with Internet Explorer!

I downloaded Mozilla (finally) and am using that for both browsing and mail. What a great program. If you don;t have it or use it. GET IT.

Now I want to delete IE but it doesn't come up on the "Add/Remove Programs"...oh well... now, where did I put that MAC brochure???

Old 07-13-2004, 06:26 AM
mymechanic'sanidiot
Elder User
Unfortunately with modern Windows incarnations, IE is so mixed up in the kernel that you can't delete it. Best you can do it shut off its internet access and try an alternative browser.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:26 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have told numerous people about spyware and other malware so often its pathetic. Im not talking about just here...people I know in town. They just don't believe me until they are hit hard, like I was, with one of the Xupiter variants. Near as I know, Xupiter is one of the worst hijackers out there. I ended up calling Microsoft and having them walk me through a complete reformat to clean it out and start over.

Then, I found out about SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster, combined with Adaware and I haven't had ONE issue in over two years now. They are all free. In addition I also downloaded Google pop up stopper about a year ago. I have had maybe three pop ups in that time..and I don't know if there are updates for the free google one, I've never checked. But I DO upgrade all three spyware getters weekly.

If you can get to the sites I posted above, I highly suggest loading them. If you have one of the 4000 + nice pieces of work that they watch for, they will remove them and also..spyware guard then attempts to keep anything from even loading onto your machine. Go read about them.. I am a living testament that they work and am thankful someone out there has the ability and desire to watch for that garbage and help us out. The author of SpywareBlaster only asks for donations. They also have a forum where issues are discussed. I think you can get there from www.wilderssecurity.com or www.wilderssecurity.net. Can't remember which exactly..been a long 12 hour shift and I'm about ready to fall over.

Last edited by Fordlover1951; 07-13-2004 at 07:46 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm infected.