Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Mixing gas with diesel fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 07:51 AM
Raceallday
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixing gas with diesel fuel?

I had a guy tell me yesterday that you could mix 1 gallon of gas to 5 gallons of diesel and it would increase the power output of a non-turbo diesel such as my '88 7.3. He said it makes the fuel burn a little hotter, creating more power. How does this compare, with say, injecting propane to get more power?

Old 07-09-2004, 08:11 AM
ditch witch
Senior User
Your injectors and IP will be short lived 'cause of lack of lubrication! That's a 20% mixture, even VW back in the '80's only recommended a 10% mixture to lean out the diesel for winter freezing problems.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Raceallday
Junior User
Originally Posted by ditch witch
Your injectors and IP will be short lived 'cause of lack of lubrication! That's a 20% mixture, even VW back in the '80's only recommended a 10% mixture to lean out the diesel for winter freezing problems.
So, what if I mixed it at only 10%? Or I only added about 1 gallon to every tank fill up?

Old 07-09-2004, 10:26 AM
jfinlen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do it, be sure to add a little tranny fluid for your experiment to help lube the pump.

Old 07-09-2004, 12:09 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
"He said it makes the fuel burn a little hotter, creating more power."
Not true. People think gasoline has more power only because it's more volatile. The distillation end point of gasoline is 380*F. The distillation endpoint of #2 diesel fuel is 680*F. Diesel has more BTU per gallon than gasoline and will always burn hotter.

Years ago I filled up with diesel winterized with gasoline. It not only made the engine more noisey, but had a lot less power on the hills.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:17 PM
bilder12
Posting Guru
Yeh, and I bet the pistons are about ready to come out. I had one knucklehead put 5 gal of diesel in the tank of the 18 wheeler. got about 10 miles from the shop and let loose. took the top right off the pistons. "Hey mr. boss, she was runnin fine til it made this funny missin noise."
Why the heck do you think rudolph diesel spent so much time perfecting the diesel engine???? You want to burn gas/diesel mixture in your truck, you go ahead, but ya better carry a shovel along to pick up the parts when they come out. And I dont care what anybody says about some stupid ratio of fuel to gasoline. There is my nickle and I feel a lot better. Gooooooood day.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:54 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
Only in the most dire circumstances of say, 100 below zero, in an effort to avoid freezing to death if you could make it fire, would it be advisable to put even a drop of gasoline in the diesel tank.

Research the propane injection--that seems popular and probably works.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:48 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kinda like putting moth ***** in, sure, run like a raped ape til the pistons melt down. If it worked that well, the fuel would likely come premixed that way, but instead, the winter blends are No. 1 straight or mixed, no gasoline. Diesel is bad enough about lube, gas is worse, so bye bye injection pump.

Last edited by fellro86; 07-09-2004 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2004, 05:40 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
This is from Diesel Injection Service, a large, multi-location diesel shop in Texas:

Mixing Gasoline with Diesel Fuel
At one time information was released suggesting that a small amount of gasoline mixed with diesel fuel for use in cold weather was an acceptable practice. This information was eventually retracted due to conditions that may result from such a mixture.

First and foremost is a safety factor. The gasoline fumes from gasoline are very rich and there is not enough oxygen available for a spark generated at the filler neck to ignite these fumes. The diesel fumes are too lean and will not ignite. A mixture in the right proportion could create fumes volatile enough to ignite from a spark generated at the filler neck.

Second, all injection pumps and injectors utilize the lubrication in diesel fuel to keep internal parts lubricated. Gasoline cuts down on this lubrication and can lead to premature injector and pump wear or even failure.

Although accidentally mixing a small percentage of gasoline with a tank of diesel fuel may not result in an immediate problem, it could still result in shorter pump and/or injector life. The only safe action would be to drain the mixture and start from scratch. While this may seem costly, it could save you from more costly repairs in the long run.

Old 07-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If you want more power, go find some #3 diesel.
It is a heavier fuel and produces more power, but you better have it out of your tanks before the temp drops to 35 degrees or you will be gelled up so bad you will wish you never heard of it.

Old 07-10-2004, 05:45 PM
FORD352V8
Elder User
Disel engines are obviously mad to burn disele fuel because not only is disel burns hotter but it is designed for the very high comperresion of a disel. That mixing of gas crap is just that crap it does nothing for the disel engine at all excpet tear it up and make you mad. I wonder why they say "Diesel fuel only" in the manual?

Old 07-10-2004, 10:09 PM
dhag911
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad has a 90 non turbo and he puts kerosine in his once in a while in the winter time usually about .5-1 gallons per tank. especially when there is about 100 gallons left in the tank of summer blend

Old 07-10-2004, 11:48 PM
FORD352V8
Elder User
well I know you can burn kerosene with no problems in a dielse. and vice versa they are very similiar.

Old 07-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Scott Fraser
Senior User
Keep gas with gas engines and diesel to diesel engines. If you are worried about gelling of the fuel in winter add some methal hydrate.

Old 07-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
30 years ago in the trucking and heavy equipment industries they used to add gasoline to the fuel in the winter to stop the fuel from gelling. It was not to increase the power, it was to dissolve the parafin in diesel fuel that causes it to gell.

If you ever saw a container of straight number 2 diesel at 30 below you would wonder how it ever got through the lines. But if you did not blend something else in with it, it would not. This is gelling.

Now in the modern era, fuel is blended in winter months to prevent this from happening, but, if you get a sudden artic blast of cold air or your temps drop to way below normal suddenly, the fuel is blended for 10 but the actual temp is 30 below.
Now you need to put some addatives in the fuel to make up for the extra cold. Today there are a dozen products on the market that will take care of this.
30 years ago the only thing you had to add to the fuel was kerosene or gasoline. Also 30 years ago everything was high sulfer fuel that lubricated everything, but today this is non existant. So now the gasoline or kerosene add the problem of no lubrication for the pump and injectors. And the engines then were not the computer controlled ultra power plants we have now, so it was still not a problem.

Today gasoline belongs in gasoline engines.

Quick Reply: Mixing gas with diesel fuel?