Aerostar Ford Aerostar

"norm a/c" works OK... but no "max a/c"

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 10:32 PM
koalamazed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "norm a/c" works OK... but no "max a/c"

my "norm a/c" works fine, front and rear.... but when I select "max a/c" it seems like the air gets diverted somewhere else.... and very little comes out of the dash vents. and its not coming out of the defrost vents, so i dunno where its going! maybe to the floor?

anyone ever have this happen? whats going on?

norm a/c is ok. it works great on the freeway, but kinda piddles out in the city, so I usually run both front and rear a/c in the city driving. I need my MAX A/C!

lemme know, thanks!

Old 07-09-2004, 07:22 AM
tom_foreman
Elder User
What the MAX setting does is move a diverter/damper/flapper. Normal operation uses fresh/outside air. Switching to MAX will change to inside air like recirculating air on newer cars.

I would suspect you have a bad or loose vacuum hose that controls the damper or possibly the recirculating air intake is blocked so that no air gets to the blower which still turns but cannot blow any air. I think the air intake is under the dash on the passinger side somewhere. I have not looked for it.

Anyone else?

Old 07-09-2004, 01:39 PM
koalamazed
Senior User
ok. awesome. that would help keep it cooler huh! instead of cooling hot air, it cools cooler inside air.

ok. so, I hear the flap shutting, or whatever, but the air doesnt come out of the vents, so now I just have to figure out where the air is going!

thanks!

Old 07-09-2004, 03:16 PM
tom_foreman
Elder User
Well, if it's coming out the floor then you have something crossed. I take it using the heat setting you get the air at the floor and in defrost mode you get it blowing on the windows right?

So going to Max A/C you hear the damper move...

I don't know. If the damper didn't move (vacuum hose off...) then the air wouldn't change at all. It sounds more like something is blocking the air intake vent. That would do it. Maybe a plastic bag got sucked up aginst the vent. That is where I'd start looking.

Tom