Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2004, 08:58 AM
New User

XLAND is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy 96 Explorer Power Windows

Last week all my power windows stopped working I checked the fuse pannel and found no fuse for the windows is it somewhere else or a relay , I also removed the door pannel and found nothing loose or broken. Help!!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Postmaster

87 XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On a 97 it's fuse 5 in the "power distribution box". Might be the same on yours. Have ou looked at the fuse page in your owners manual?

Last edited by 87 XLT; 07-08-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:58 PM
New User

Yes, I have looked in the owners manuel and it gives no location for the power windows fuse and it also doesn't have anything about the windows [troubleshooting], by "power
distribution box" do you mean the fuse pannel
Old 07-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Postmaster

Power distribution box is probably under the hood on the drivers side. On the 97 fuse 5 feeds an "accessory delay relay" which feeds power to the window switches.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:54 PM
New User

Thanks I will take a look in the morning.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Junior User

jessman1128 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have your 4WD and 4WD LO lights on the dashboard started flashing as well? The power windows on my 1996 Explorer recently quit working, accompanied by the 4WD lights flashing on the dashboard (they flash 6 times every 2 minutes). I initially traced the problem to a blown fuse #27, but when I replaced it it blew again 10-15 minutes later, so I know the root of the problem lies elsewhere.

If your 4WD lights aren't flashing, then the problem is hopefully much simpler than mine - probably just the fuse in the power distribution box as 87 XLT mentioned.

Speaking of which - the owner's manual says that the high-capacity fuses in the power distribution box (I think they're called high-capacity...I know it's high-something...) should only be replaced by a qualified mechanic. Is this really true? I find it odd that something as simple as a fuse - even if it is a special type - has to be replaced by a trained mechanic.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:39 PM
New User

Smile power windows

I checked the fuses in the dist.power box but ran out of time I plan to get back into it tommorrow
Old 08-06-2004, 09:35 AM
New User

fnsump is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 95 with the same problem - have you been able to isolate it yet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessman1128
Have your 4WD and 4WD LO lights on the dashboard started flashing as well? The power windows on my 1996 Explorer recently quit working, accompanied by the 4WD lights flashing on the dashboard (they flash 6 times every 2 minutes). I initially traced the problem to a blown fuse #27, but when I replaced it it blew again 10-15 minutes later, so I know the root of the problem lies elsewhere.

If your 4WD lights aren't flashing, then the problem is hopefully much simpler than mine - probably just the fuse in the power distribution box as 87 XLT mentioned.

Speaking of which - the owner's manual says that the high-capacity fuses in the power distribution box (I think they're called high-capacity...I know it's high-something...) should only be replaced by a qualified mechanic. Is this really true? I find it odd that something as simple as a fuse - even if it is a special type - has to be replaced by a trained mechanic.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:49 PM
New User

There is a relay in the instrument panel relay module #4 for the windows, as of now I still can't find the panel 96 Explorer Manual page 381
Old 08-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Junior User

jessman1128 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Instrument panel relay module #4...

It's underneath the dash on the drivers side. Position yourself in such a way that you can see directly up underneath the dash - a flashlight would probably be helpful as well. There's a black plastic box up in there that contains the relays. It's a little to the right of where the steering wheel is located. It's up in there a little ways too - from the bottom of the plastic panel below the steering wheel up to where the relay box is, it's probably a good 6 to 12 inches. The box has a tab on one end - press the tab in, or pull it, I don't remember - and the top of the box will come off to expose the relays inside it. The relay for the accessory delay and windows is the larger square relay. You can purchase a replacement one from NAPA for somewhere between 5 and 10 dollars I believe.

Hopefully this will assist you in locating the relay...
Old 08-09-2004, 06:46 PM
New User

phylbaby is starting off with a positive reputation.
[b]I'm having a problem with my power windows,dome light,moonroof,and the lamp light located by the moonroof on my '99 Explorer.I have the fuses checked and they are okay, could it be the relay? Plz help a sista out.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Senior User

LV Dan is starting off with a positive reputation.
The power windows, along with the moonroof and Torque On Demand relay, are on the Accy Delay Relay. The Accy Delay Relay is fed power by the Battery Saver Relay and controlled by Generic Electronic Module (GEM). All three could cause the problems described.

The dome lights and lamp lights, along with a host of other interior lights, are on the Dome Lamp Switch. The Dome Lamp Switch is also fed by the Battery Saver Relay.

If your Glove Box Lamp, Underhood Lamp, Map light, and Vanity Mirror Light are working, the Battery Saver Relay is working. If they are not working either, the Battery Saver Relay is suspect (assuming the fuse in the Power Distribution Box is fine and is getting power). The Battery Saver Relay is controlled by the GEM so that could also be suspect.

1999 Explorer XLT 4x4, 4.0 SOHC, 5R55E, 3.73 LS.

Former Fords: '75 Ranchero, '82 F-250.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:40 AM
New User

Thank You jessman1128
xland
Old 08-11-2004, 09:41 AM
New User

I changed the Power Window Relay in the instrument panel relay module #4
NO CHANGE, Battery Saver Relay appears to be OK all interion and hood lights are working
There are many things on the GEM controler, is it possible that a portion of this module has failed and if so where is the GEM located, any help would be appreciated
Old 08-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Postmaster

On a 97 Ex the GEM provides the ground to the voltage coming from the window switches, Pin 3 grounds the window down tan/light blue wire & pin 4 grounds window up on white/black. If you can verify that you have voltage on these wires the Gem module is the culprit. On the 97 there are 4 of these idiot/PITA GEM modules behind the center of the dash & about midway up in the dash. On a 97 the one you would want has 18 pins & 2 of the wires going to it would of course be the tan/light blue & white/black & the GEM might be marked C283. Maybe you could pull the GEM out & have it tested by your friendly neighborhood Ford dealer, or better yet by an auto electric shop. Good luck with it.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:52 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
1991, 95, battery, electric, explorerdriver, f150, foed, ford, fuse, power, problems, relay, saver, side, slam, stopped, window, working