Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2002, 06:32 AM
New User

B767capt is starting off with a positive reputation.
02 transmission fluid check???

I just biught my daughter a new Exolorer yesterday and was looking through the owners manul. I always put a tranny cooler, magnafine in line filter, and Amsoil in all my trannies. I also have 02 powerstroke and 00 clubwagon which I have done that to. The manual said there is no dip stick for the transmission and was wondering how to add fluid and check fluid level. I have a race car and do a lot of my own work, but was wondering before I get under there where the fluid level is accessed? Anyone know the oil cooler line od and id so I know what size magnefine filter to buy? Thanks, Bill
Old 08-19-2002, 08:33 PM
Freshman User

lrm is starting off with a positive reputation.

I own a 2002 Mountaineer and both Explorer and Mountaineer don't have tranny dipsticks. The tranny is sealed and filled with a 100K mile tranny fluid. Also I don't think they have an external tranny cooler anymore. It was described to me as an internal tranny cooler, whatever that means. It was tested in 100 degree heat towing maximum capacity without failing.
I used to change my own transmission fluid regularly, I won't be doing that on this vehicle.

Old 08-21-2002, 01:02 AM
Elder User

Dialtone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

WHAT...no dipstick or filler tube!!!
Please tell me you guys are kidding. It is inevitable that the trans will need a topping off of fluid before 100K due to some kind of leak or another. What the heck is Ford trying to pull....force us to the dealer just to get fluid changed/added at $65 to $100 hour labor rate?

Does this mean that Ford will warranty the trans from failure for 100K on the standard warranty?

If this is someone's example of Ford's "Better Idea" then a major management change is in order there. I may have to look elsewhare for my next new vehicle is this is what is in store.

What a bunch of dipsticks (engineers).

thats my $.02 and here is $.02 more
Dialtone
Old 08-21-2002, 07:32 AM
New User

B767capt is starting off with a positive reputation.

I may be wrong, but I think the owners manual said to change the fluid every 30k. I didn't see anything about 100k. I am like you, not a very happy camper. I still plan on doing it myself by adding a cooler, Amsoil and a magnefine line filter. Bill
Old 08-21-2002, 03:01 PM
Elder User

Dialtone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

I,ll bet they have (or will have)an adapter kit you can buy from the dealer (dipstick and filler tube) for the amazingly low price of $699 (Includes installation).

What a joke.
Are you listening in FORD?
Or does what the customers think mean nothing to you anymore.

Dialtone

Old 08-24-2002, 09:07 PM
Elder User

mgazak is starting off with a positive reputation.

I just read under one these threas, though I can't find it now , that there is a drain plug underneath the tranny to drain the fluid and new fluid is pumped back in through the same hole until no more will go in. Better than a dip stick, no, but atleast it can be done.

2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
Old 08-24-2002, 09:12 PM
Elder User

mgazak is starting off with a positive reputation.

2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
Old 08-24-2002, 09:12 PM