General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.
View Poll Results: Which CB?
Cobra 29 LTD Classic
30.43%
Cobra 29 LTD Classic Night Watch
8.70%
Other --- Please Suggest What You Reccomend
60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Which CB Radio do you like?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which CB Radio do you like?

I hope that this is the right forum for this topic. I don't really know of anywhere else to put it. If this is the wrong forum, please move it to the correct place.

----------

Now, to get down to business...

I am wanting a CB Radio in my 1994 F-150 and I have always had good luck with Cobra. I had an 18 WX ST a couple of years ago and really liked it. Too bad that I sold it with my Ranger ...

Anyway, I want to upgrade to a bigger, better radio this time around and I think that I'm going to go with the 29 LTD Classic. Although, I don't know if I should spend $10 more on the Night Watch feature or not.

The 29 LTD is $99 and the 29 LTD Night Watch is $109. Or, from my source anyway.

What do you guys think?

Also, I am curious on the wiring of these radios. Is the standard 29 LTD going to come with 3 or 4 wires? If I remember right, my 18 WX ST came with a power wire, another wire that was supposed to be connected to a constant power source, and a ground. I guess that the 29 LTD will come with those same 3 wires, but I'm thinking that the 29 LTD Night Watch is going to have an extra wire or two so that it can be wired in to a light source to know when to turn the Night Watch feature on.

If anyone has an opinion on either of these radios, please pass it on. I talk on a CB quite a bit and it's like I said, I've always had good luck with Cobra products.

My idea is to get either of those two radios and install two antennas on my truck. I plan on putting one on each side of the toolbox for maximum reception. I'm debating on going with 5' antennas. I think that would be kewl .

Thanks for any insight.

Nightrain

Old 07-06-2004, 03:50 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Get a Galaxy 10 meter radio and have it converted.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:24 PM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't see the ranger 2970DX listed there? The cobra is a real good sounding radio if it tuned and peaked correctly

Old 07-06-2004, 08:25 PM
guy g
Freshman User
Uniden. look for radios made in the Phillipines. MUCH better than ones made in Japan.Also when Sound Tracker takes a dump,alot of repair places wont touch it.

EDIT:

Almost forgot, when you have it peaked and tuned, get a good noise cancelling mic.that is where most clearness is.like having good speakers in a stereo.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:33 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i like my vintage 1976 (its even in a 76 250) midland 23 channel thats on 4ft duels. i actually got it from a guy that was going to throw it away. it was never used at the time. it is the best working radio that i have ever seen. but as for the newer models, i like cobra and uniden. also you might want to jump onto a cb site to figure out how to fine tune the radio.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:51 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a cobra 25 ltd classic i liked very much, its smaller than the 29 (i have one of those also) but after the 25 was stolen from my truck, i put a old j.c. penney 23 channel in it, not as desireable maybe less likey to be stolen, a good antenna that is dialed in (s.w.r.) will make a cheap radio reach just as far as a expensive one. but im talking about unmodified, stock c.b. without linear booster. i dont know how to "tune" a radio, but i had a k40 (great antennea!) and a good s.w.r. with my j.c. penney 23 and talked to someone from marion when i was almost to upper sandusky (about 25 miles) without a linear amplifier. i havent put a c.b. in my current truck yet, havent messed much with c.b.'s once i got married. but i really liked the cobra 25. dont know if they even make it anymore.

Old 07-06-2004, 09:46 PM
xltlariat87
Senior User
uniden or cobra if you buy one of these radios, look on the back if you want a good one make sure it says made in the phillipines, the ones that have made in japan don't work as well. if you want spend more a galaxy or lincoln hr2510,are excellent choices.
the uniden or cobra tune up real nice. i have a uniden pc76xl with a connex echo board
upper & lower channels added, modulator chip.

Old 07-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Well, I ordered a 29 LTD Classic Night Watch this afternoon. It's from a reputible CB Shop and he really stands behind what he sells.

I'm going to have to find a friggin' place to mount it now. I should've thought about that before I ordered such a big radio. I guess I'm going to have to ask for some assistance in the 87-86 F-Series Forum .

Thanks for all of the advice fellas. I ordered a SuperMod for this radio. I think that should help me out some. Maybe it will anyway. I'll probably get an old radio to have as a base station. Probably have it turned up and have a **** on the side to adjust it with. That would be kewl.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I'll let ya'll know how my setup works out .

Nightrain

Old 07-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought a floor mount that fits on the hump.
Best place ever for me

Old 07-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Thanks for the reccomendation Dennis. I'll have to check into one of those.

Could you lead me in the right direction of where you bought it?

Nightrain

Old 07-06-2004, 10:06 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to have a Realistic CB-Fone 23, it was tweaked a little. I loved that thing I could talk almost 60 miles.... Sounded good on the recieving end as well.

Old 07-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Dennis;

Are you talking about something like the following?

Universal Floor Hump CB Mount

Thanks .

Nightrain

Old 07-06-2004, 10:50 PM
FERacing66
Posting Guru
i like cobras best radios out there. but whatever you got make sure to have it modified/tweaakd by one of them folks who does it there everywhere. <!i think its illegal or something but who gives a damn bout that cause with a modified radio you can talk a really long ways with it. also get an amp they are the best and if theres an *** on the CB you can turn up the amp and overtalk him and no one can hear anything except you cause its so loud and overpowering.>

I just learned that FTE doesn't allow foul language per their guidelines...

Last edited by MustangGT221; 07-06-2004 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Language Violation
Old 07-06-2004, 11:03 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
a good place to mount it is on the roof, theres a thread about it in the heavy duty forum its where ive mounted the past 2 radio's pretty easy to do, and its out of sight and out of the way......yet you can adjust it without looking down ......i went with the uniden pc76 with the weather alert..you never know when a bad storm will brew...especially twisters

Old 07-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Hmm... Sounds interesting f=250. I'm curious to know how you mounted your's on the roof? I have seen those "Shelf-It" systems where they make like a shelf on the roof in the area of the sun visors. I could purchase one of those to make it easier and hide all of the mess .

Thanks again.

Nightrain

Quick Reply: Which CB Radio do you like?