1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Engine Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 10:35 AM
pigskin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Swaps

Being new to the forum, I have enjoyed reading the "stickeys" regarding rear end swaps and front suspension alternatives. Is there a similiar compilation back in the archives regarding various drive line swaps? Ie ease of installation, frame modifications required, motor mount availability. I have a donor truck with a warmed up 302 and AOD for my 54. Is there a source that I can review common problems / solutions with this type installation? thanks in advance

Pig

Old 07-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stickys by definition are stuck at the front. So any past posts on engines and tranys can be found by using the search function. This is a very popular topic. Good luck, John

Old 07-06-2004, 10:19 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Pig

Your engine bay is large enough for about any engine. Tell us what suspension you plan to use with the 302 and we'll give you a few problem areas as appropriate. As John said,the search function will yield lots of info too.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:26 AM
pigskin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plan is pretty simple. Keep the straight axle, lower a couple inches with springs (looking hard at the options at Midfifty), add the toyota p/s conversion(stock column), add power brakes (debating disc vs ceramic shoes), drop in the 302/AOD & 9" from the donor truck. Probably a given, but I'll ask: do the front and rear engine cross supports from the stock drivetrain need to come out before I add the new mounts, or will everything fit and you leave them in for frame strength? Thanks for all the advice. - Pig