Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Supercharged V10

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 08:49 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrRottnDog
Those whipple HP and TQ numbers are at the flywheel not rear wheel HP or TQ. The Kenne Bell and Whipple are the same kind of superchargers.

I do have an 8# pulley, diablo and ***** custom chips, Low restriction Cat, Borla headers & catback. If my exhaust was any more free flowing I wouldn't have any low end torque. Had one of my chips reburned for the 5.13 gears I have now. I'll probably have it on a dyno again soon just out of curiosity.

I know one of the guys here had his stock V10 on a dyno and posted the numbers.... but I don't remember who it was.
Well like ive said many times, i have much More low end trq with my exhaust set up.I would think that a supercharger would only add to that because it is creating velocity and creates boost right off of idle.Fredvon something was the guy who dynoed a stock V10.I also dynoed my truck on a Mustang Dyno which shows lower #'s than a Dynojet dyno because it loads the dyno to simulate real world loads.I also had a bad fuel filter at the time so my numbers seemed way off.But i also plan a return trip to the dyno.It just doesnt seem right to supercharge w/single exhaust.But i realize most of you have to run single exhaust.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:52 AM
airtractrdrivr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pops_91710
I lifted this info directly from Kenne Bell's supercharger FAQ's.===

Headers? 4 tube or Tri-Y? 4 tube headers work very well on the 5.2 and 5.9 Dodges (20HP) and 12HP on the 4.7's and Chevies. 12HP is only 1 car length in the 1/4 mile. 12HP is hard to feel. We've never seen any worthwhile gains on the 4.6, 5.4 Ford/Lincoln, PT Cruiser or Escape from any header. I never saw a set of Tri-Y's worth installing. We don't recommend them nor have we ever witnessed that "improved low and mid range" they yak about. Has anyone EVER seen a successful drag racer running Tri-Y's? Of course not.
How can I tell if my filter assembly, meter, throttle body inlet hoses or manifolds are restrictive and losing HP? Use the time-proven Kenne Bell approach. Flow the individual pieces on a flow bench. If you don't have access to a bench, install a tap behind each component in the inlet track, make a dyno pull or a WOT run on the street in low or second gear and read the vacuum gauge. If it's "0" there are no losses and, therefore, upgrading components will not help. However, if there is a 4" Hg reading - that's 2 psi of lost atmospheric boost and 20HP (1 psi=10HP). Works on carbureted engines also. Now you know how to analyze inlet systems. You'd be amazed at how many don't.
Go back to the KB website and go to the tech tips section. Click on Ford Trucks and SUV's. It's all in PDF format. The first sentence of the third parpagraph says "As with the V10, we've never seen a set of headers that didnt hurt the low end and mid range performance, even if they make a few HP at 5000." I dont agree with him, and I dont see where he gets that info from. If you believe everything he says in that statement and the few sentences after it, then NONE of the mods we make to the V10 give any HP increase at all. He lists Throttle bodies, cold air intakes, aftermarket MAF all as having no value, because he says that Ford already found all the power in the V10 at the factory. Sorry, But I've got all these modes except the MAF, and I can tell you from experience my truck has more power now than it did stock. I just dont get his logic on this.

A little ways on down in the same section, KB even makes the comment that with his KB supercharger and Switch Chip, the V10 Excursion/F350 "easily outpulls the diesels" with those being the only mods. I can believe that, but I dont know if this guy is saying all of this because he really is that knowlegable, or if he is just trying to push his product as being so good it doesnt require any other mods.

Last edited by airtractrdrivr; 07-12-2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:24 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Airtractrdrivr, i agree with you about the Kenne Bell deal.We know what our mods have given us.It's probaly a tuning problem they have.No way will i believe it is something that cannot be solved with some custom tuning.Ford did leave a lot on the table with the stock TB,manifolds and certainly the y-pipe.Whipple doesnt say that.I also would like a Whipple.The diesel topic-I feel like with our stock drivetrains in our trucks, the diesel just isnt able to fully utilize its trq to its full potential in a drag race.Now if the trans could keep it in it's sweet spot continously,it's gonna move.The gasoline engines are less effected by trans shifting as far as not being within it's powerband during shifts.The diesel has a narrow powerband, and the trans just doesnt keep it there.Thats just my take on this subject.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:26 AM
hang10
Posting Guru
I don't know about the KB exhaust statement either. Doesn't really matter to me, I never did plan on any exhaust mods other than maybe an after market muffler. I didn't buy a 4wd longbed truck to drag race with, eventhough, it does happen once in a while with guys from work etc. I was happy with it stock and am very happy with it supercharged. I do believe that the Diesels probably do have the edge when they get highly modified and unfortunately, there are a lot of mods for a Diesel compared to a V10. Other than sending your truck to Michigan and having Roush play with it, a SC is about the best we are going to get. I think the new Roush motor (V10) is $9,000. It puts out 560 hp and 730 tq. If I wanted to spend an extra 9K on work a truck, I'd have bought a Diesel and a lot of mods and had change left over.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:33 PM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TriSum
I'm not sure how you are figuring this. (You cannot go by you beating your neighbor before in his 6.0L) I'm talking about heads up racing. Your V10 makes 310 hp / 425 ftlbs, a 6.0L makes 325 hp /560 ftlbs. If you take the same vehicle, ie: cab configuration, drive, weight, etc. with equal drivers, driving each vehicle to it's full potential. How could the V10 win?
Now take same vehicles with the same drivers and add a supercharger to the V10 and a chip to the 6.0L. (V10= 320ish rwhp / 500ish rwtq) (6.0L 350ish rwhp / 650ish rwtq). Again, how could the V10 win?
Now I will say, in stock configuration you cannot just go from an idle and stab the throttle, in this case I think the V10 would be the better bet. BUT, take the 6.0L and apply the brake and go pedal to build some boost off the line........... 6.0L all the way.
Well Trisum...

It doesn't look like we're going to convince anyone with just facts!

Perhaps you guys are right in the world of butt dyno's and manufacturer's flywheel horsepower and torque numbers? I'll wait until some of you others with supercharged V10's post the numbers. I've checked many times for someone on several sites... but everyone always seems to be waiting for one reason or another. Just don't want to hit the dyno with just the supercharger... well maybe after a few more mods and a lot more money!

Last edited by MrRottnDog; 07-12-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:35 PM
airtractrdrivr
Senior User
I've read all the "facts" as far as the manufacturers torque and horsepower ratings. Thats all well and good. The difference is WHERE the power curve is in the two engines. The V10 will stomp a 6.0 off the line from a standing start. I've raced a 6.0 PSD, from a standing start. Both myself and the driver of that truck have experience with real race cars (not little 13 second street cars either) on a real drag strip, and we are both capable drivers. We did not race to find out what the results would be on the top end, we wanted to see the results of a standing start out to about an 1/8 mile distance. From a dead stop, my V10 beat his 6.0 hands down. My truck is lighter than a diesel, has lower gears than his diesel, and gets into it's torque range at a lower RPM. The driver of the 6.0 did lock his brakes and build as much boost as he could on the line, as did I lock the brakes and throttle up the V10. I beat him by at least a truck length off the line, and managed to stay in the lead. By the time we got to the 1/8 mile point, it was real close. Now, I have a Diablo chip, BBK throttle body, K & N with Zoodad mod, 4.30 rear end, and cat back dual exhaust. He has an ATS 4" exhaust and a chip (not sure which one), so all my mods might ad up to the amount of performance increase he gets with just his chip and exhaust. I do admit that had we started the run from a 30 mph roll on start, or ran a full 1/4 mile from a standing start, the results might have, and probably would have been different. The 6.0 PSD is a great motor with lots of power and potential, no matter what some others say. But, I didnt buy my truck to race. When I want to race, I've got a '67 Fastback Mustang sitting in the shop that will run 9.80s all day long, and an NHRA track 50 miles from my house. I've only raced my truck 4 times seriously; the 6.0, two 7.3s and a new Dodge Hemi. The 6.0 and the hemi are the only two standing start races, the two 7.3s were roll ons, and not very far in distance. The point is, there are too many variables to consider to be able to say "this truck will beat that truck EVERY time, just because the manufacturers specs say so". To make it a TRULY fair race, you would have to add a bunch of weight to the V10 truck, have exactly the same rear end ratios, NO mods, because the mods for the gas motor and the mods for the diesel have different levels of performance increases, two drivers the same skill level, weight, etc. it would be almost impossible to do. I dont really know how this thread got off on the racing debate. The only reason I am considering a supercharger is to get a bit more power out of my truck for the heavy loads I tow, without having to trade my truck in and pay 8 or 9 thousand extra (that's about what it would be around here) for a diesel. Rottn, I know what you and Trisum are saying about the specs of both motors, but they dont ALWAYS reflect the true performance of a vehicle. There are too many other variables to be factored in to just look at the specs as the only performance indicator. I would be more interested in seeing or hearing how well a SC'd V10 performs pulling a 12 or 13,000 pound load, as opposed to the diesel. Both engines stock, except for the SC on the V10.

Last edited by airtractrdrivr; 07-12-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:04 PM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru
I don't tow anything with my excursion and don't comment on how a supercharged V10 would effect towing for that reason. I would think a supercharged V10 geared correctly would do a hell of a job! I don't race mine either. I certainly would not have bought an 8000 lb truck if that was my intent. Mine is strictly my big boy toy. Used for weekend car shows and cruising on nice summer days. The supercharger and other performance mods were added because I like to be able to actually light up those big Mickeys if the devil tells me to. I just don't want somone to go out and spend 4k or 5K for a supercharger expecting huge power increases and be disappointed.

Last edited by MrRottnDog; 07-12-2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:16 PM
airtractrdrivr
Senior User
I agree with you totally. I think that when most people hear the word Supercharger, they instantly think of power and performance increases along the lines of V-8 powered street machines and blown drag race motors. That's simply not the case with a supercharger designed for a daily driven vehicle like our V10 trucks. two totally different animals, indeed. I still think it's alot of bang for the buck though, as far as guys like me are concerned, who know it's limitations, and just want a little extra HP and torque where it counts.

Old 07-12-2004, 03:44 PM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru
Exactly!

Old 07-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
my sig has bone stock V10 numbers w/3.73:1 and 31" tires.

Old 07-13-2004, 02:57 PM
camo4stealth
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading the statement made by Kenne Bell, I have to wonder if he wants people to not buy other modifications, and spend their money on his supercharger? I know the stock manifolds on a '99 SD are the biggest joke ever. There is no way in hell they will flow more than a good set of headers. I guess you can be a mindless American consumer and eat up whatever advertising is thrown at you. My truck, after headers, would take the old manifolds and beat the stock #'s silly. Watch my advertisements, you are getting very sleepy.......HA, HA, HA!

Old 07-13-2004, 03:06 PM
SuperDutyHaulin
Elder User
Yeah, I think Kennie Bell needs to do a little more research or at least be objective in his pursuit of hp gains. I would not buy a KB just because of the arrogance of his claims.

Old 07-13-2004, 05:15 PM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru
I have talked to Jim Bell several times about some tuning issues after installation of the supercharger and if you have headers he will blame everything on the headers. He pretty much doesn't have anything good to say about any sort of a modification with his supercharger on the V10 anyway.

While I refused to remove the headers he did convince me to scrap my K&N filter, airraid box and Granitelli MAF. Since then I have instead scrapped his way to conservative flip chip and the goofy KB boost a pump. In favor of another custom chip, 235 lph in line fuel pump, 42" injectors and 8# pulley. Although I will say that I have had the Kenne Bell Supercharger for around 2 years now and have had zero problems with the charger itself. It's very dependable.

Last edited by MrRottnDog; 07-13-2004 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:26 PM
SuperDutyHaulin
Elder User
I'm not putting down his product, as KB is a tried an tested namesake, however, I would rather go with another product that compliments the mods I have.

Old 07-14-2004, 07:22 AM
camo4stealth
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SuperDutyHaulin
I'm not putting down his product, as KB is a tried an tested namesake, however, I would rather go with another product that compliments the mods I have.
Or at least doesn't trash the mods I have? It's one thing to talk up your product, but to talk down someone else's....

Quick Reply: Supercharged V10