Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

License Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 07:30 AM
truckfarmingcanuck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
License Question

I recently bought a dump truck. Why? Because who doesn't need one and I wanted one since I was 10 years old. Anyhow it's a 1965 in mint condition which couldn't be passed up so now it's in my yard. It's not a full sized one like you see in the construction yards but a smaller version like folks used to use on farms. It has a single dual wheel axle and runs on a V8 with a 4 speed, and yes like every kids dream the dump does go up and down.

Question? I don't know how much it weighs and do I need a special license to drive this thing?

I will post pictures in my profile for any of you folks that are into these things. There is zero rust through on this Canadian truck. I'm sure it never left the farm.

later
truckfarmer

Old 07-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Quadiquizm
Elder User
You will need to check the weight - both empty and loaded. Odds are good you can drive it empty with a G.
Most guys that drive cube vans and small landscape trucks like 3/4 tons with dump boxes only have a G license.
Try to get it to a private set of scales to weigh it or try to find out what the factory specs are on it.
Finally, don't take my word for it as I am not an expert, but do check out -
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/index.html

Hope this helps!

Old 07-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can drive it with a class G IF it is under 11,000 KILOGRAMS when it is fully loaded and if it is under that weight when/if you tow anything. Basically your total weight of the truck, the load in it and the weight of anything towing behind it can't be over 11,000 KILOGRAMS.

If it will EVER be over 4500 KILOGRAMS you HAVE to get it safetied EVERY year, NO exceptions. You MAY also have to get an E-TEST. EVERY 24 HOURS it goes out you will also NEED to do a circle check sheet that says you have checked the truck over and everything is good (lights, horn, brakes work, etc.) If you do not have one of those it CAN be over a $300 fine, ask me I'll tell ya! Any more questions let me know.

-Matt

Old 07-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess is that the net weight is 11,000 lbs easy.
This would require CVOR and annual inspections, log book etc.
Depending on the GVW and graduated price of lic. plates, you don't need to register the GVW at it's maximum. Unless of course you plan on hauling payloads of wood & etc.
Years ago, I upgraded my ticket to a D just in case I found myself in a large truck. The G lic. goes a long way according to my buddy that drives a medium duty tow truck, Freightliner FL40. It can legally haul more than your F450 I believe.
AL.

Old 07-03-2004, 07:27 AM
Tim Halliday
Senior User
I don't think that you'd be going over 11,000 KG with your truck. That's 24,200 lbs.

If you will be over 11,000 KG, I read somewhere that if a class D truck is registered to a farm, the driver does not need to have a D license. It had something to do with making it easier for farmers to find help. I'm not totally sure on this, but you might want to check into it.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:36 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Tim is right, a G license can drive a D farm truck. However, the truck has to be owned by the farm, if it's a rental you can get a ticket for it, as my buddy will tell you.