Bad gas?? What to look for???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Catfish369
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad gas?? What to look for???

My '89 Bronco II was running fine, until this morning.

This is what happened........I put $20 of Chevron's 89 octane in and drove about 2 miles when the engine started running a little rough (surging and stalling when accelerated). I drive about 10 miles like this and parked for a Dr's appointment I had. An hour later, I started up and drove about 50 yards when it began a very harsh surge and stalling, this time with a muffled but noticable backfire or sorts from below the vehicle. This continued persistantly until after I topped 35 mph. Then it would idle down while going down a hill (as normal) but would then try to stall out during the acceleration uphill. Every time I accelerated, it would repeat this pattern.

I'm not saying it HAS to be "bad gas" but I have no idea what else it would be. Any suggestions??

Old 07-02-2004, 10:04 AM
lee
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Hi,

Well my un-educated guess would be that you have either a fuel filter problem or maybe contaminated fuel as in water.

Many under ground fuel tanks at stations leak. Gas just dosen't leak out but water leaks in! If you fill up and pump in some water it goes straight to the bottom of your gas tank as water is heavier than gas. Then the pickup at the bottom of your gas tank starts sucking alittle water.

Hope this isn't your problem as the only sure fire way that I know of to cure it is to drain and purge your tank.

Good luck,
Lee

Old 07-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Catfish369
Senior User
Thumbs up

Thanks Lee. I added 2 bottles of gas treatment and it seems to have helped a lot. There is still a little hesitation on the acceleration but the backfire noise and the surging are gone. I'm giving the B2 a complete tune-up this weekend and I'm sure that will help some too......plugs, plug wires, distributer and rotor, O2 sensor, oil change, and whatever else I can think of by then.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Catfish369; 07-02-2004 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:22 PM
bob arrington
Posting Guru
mixing

a lot of gas stations have the people that bring it to them add water to it to cheat customers , i know from experience because i used to deliver gas to stations for both unical and arco , chevron is notorious for it , my 2cs,bob