Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

2005 Dodge Ram PowerWagon

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 08:08 PM
rockclimber
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Dodge Ram PowerWagon

I know it's been discussed but now that more details are out, I'm really impressed by this vehicle. One reason I've taken the time to relay this info is the last thread seemed to bash Dodge for bringing back a highly respected nameplate (the PowerWagon). But look at the list of standard features this vehicle has. It is being touted as the ultimate production off road truck ever built (not by Dodge but by journalists). The Detroit News and others are well ahead of the Magazines in relaying this to the public at large, but I'm sure there will be lengthy magazine articles in the next several months.

Here is the standard equipment on the Power Wagon:
- Hemi (I know, that means 99% of you hate the truck already)
- can chose from stick or auto (not sure which is standard equip.), either way you'll find an aggressive 4 low Tcase mated to it.
- electric locking front and rear differentials (toggle switches on the dash)
- 4.56 gear
- electronic disconnecting front sway bar (toggle switch on dash)
- custom Warn Industries 12,000 lb winch
- 33" tires standard on 17x8 rim, 35" fit wheel wells without modification
- custom wheel flares
- Bilstein monotube high pressure gas shock absorbers

The beast stands 80.6" tall and is ready to take on all obstacles. Basically a truck version of the Rubicon Jeep.

Has Ford ever offered anything that caters to the off-roader to this degree? Is Dodge making a mistake catering to some of the extremists?

Old 06-30-2004, 09:14 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fords have always been the best off-road vehicles. I know a guy who has 38 inch tires on his SD with no lift and no wheel well modifications. And I don't hate it because it has a Hemi, I hate it because it's a Dodge, and even if it's the best Dodge has to offer, their components are cheap and won't last.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Hammy17
Senior User
Hopefully the powerwagon will sell well...so Ford and Chevy make their own stock off road vehicle.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:42 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Oh yes, this would be good. Maybe a real FX4 package!

Old 06-30-2004, 10:53 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most guys I know with Ram Hemis get worse mileage than my F250 V10.

Can you imagine what a gas pig that thing is going to be with 4.56 gears. I'll bet it will be under 10mpg for mixed driving.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:37 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
I'd say that the HD Rams with a Hemi get terrible mileage! That engine is working way harder than the engines designed for that size truck. Same goes for the 5.4.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:39 PM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Very Interesting

IM not impressed with the Hemi in such a Large Vehicle, as Lariot pointed out, Kinda like im very unimpressed with a 5.4 in a super Duty or Excursion..

At any rate, Im Very Impressed with the Electronic Lockers.. Very Nice Features, although I would have preferred to see some sort of ARB setup so you would have an on board air compressor for airing up tires, etc..But with the Air lockers you always have that Dang Hose hanging there waiting to be ripped by some tree limb.
The Electronic Swaybar Disconnect, Im not sure of?
The Sway bar disconnect is a great Idea and greatly improves axel articulation, however Im not sure How this will be done Elctronically as both ends of the swaybar need to match up perfectly to connect them again meaning usualy perfectly flat ground an a good hammer for the manual disconnects, none theless if it works, kudos to them.

I hope it carries over to Gm and Fords offerings, an Upgraded Z-71 or FX4 package with all the hookups would be great..
This can only be good for all who truly wheel their vehicles, as the manufacturers seem to be realizing that a large segment of us really hate driving $40,000 trucks that come off the lot and barely escape wet grass without getting stuck with the wimpy tires and quick wearing useless limited slips.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:42 PM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by FordLariat
Fords have always been the best off-road vehicles. I know a guy who has 38 inch tires on his SD with no lift and no wheel well modifications. And I don't hate it because it has a Hemi, I hate it because it's a Dodge, and even if it's the best Dodge has to offer, their components are cheap and won't last.
I'm callin BS on that one. There is no way he has 38's on a stock SD with no modifications. With a 6" lift you'd be hard pressed to get a set of 38's under there. I do agree that I don't like Dodges though...

Terry

Old 07-01-2004, 02:52 PM
ktmguy70
Elder User
hmm

Just noticed it also comes factory installed with a warn 12,000 pound winch, Niiiiice!

Old 07-01-2004, 05:50 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by basstardo
I'm callin BS on that one. There is no way he has 38's on a stock SD with no modifications. With a 6" lift you'd be hard pressed to get a set of 38's under there. I do agree that I don't like Dodges though...

Terry
Right form the Guidelines "Be Courteous and Respectful"

That statement is not. Lets keep it above the table....
I know it was a slight oversight on your part, I appreciate your support.

Old 07-01-2004, 09:35 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by basstardo

Terry
With the right amount of backspacing on the wheels, they fit very well.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Budly
Senior User
Is this coming with the 5.7 hemi or the 6.1, becuz the 6.1 is supposed to get alot better mileage.

Old 07-02-2004, 08:44 AM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Tim, FordLariat,

Sorry guys. Didn't mean any offense by the first comment.

Terry

Old 07-02-2004, 09:20 AM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Budly
Is this coming with the 5.7 hemi or the 6.1, becuz the 6.1 is supposed to get alot better mileage.
How is that possible with a larger engine that's supposed to make more power???

Old 07-02-2004, 09:31 AM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Originally Posted by MW95F250
How is that possible with a larger engine that's supposed to make more power???
Good question, However, a more powerful engine actually works less to pull the vehicle up hills and with loads and such.. Of course this is only to a certain degree. Our V-10 Excursion 4x4 limited surpassed the mileage of our 4.6 Expedition 4x4 on Hilly interstate trips even pulling an empty 500 pound trailer.(barely Surpassed it I should say). I know the new Dakota coming out is will have a few more Hp but also be 10-15% more Fuel effecient according to the website.. Its hard to tell. Back to the Point,
The only engine available is the smaller HEMI.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/...powerwagon.asp

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Ram PowerWagon