Notices

Tonneau cover and Bed protection???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 06:44 PM
willie923
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tonneau cover and Bed protection???

Hi everyone,I just picked up my 04 F250 psd last week and I was wondering what to do about the bed itself.I was looking at the hard fiberglass tonneau covers and I liked the most was the A.R.E.I'm most definatly going to get that.But now my problem is protecting the bed itself.I don't know whether or not to get a bedliner,bedmat or the sprayin type.I'm not going to be hauling anything like dirt,stone or bricks.Probably tools and lumber from time to time.Now about rust well I just don't know.I'ev owned a 72 chevy pickup which I bought from my dad which he is the original own from new and that truck we used for the same thing had a full bedcap its whole life.My dad bought marine pilewood for the bed for some protection and the bed held up great.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:08 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not get a dropin myself. If you are not going to haul anything just get a good quality bedmat. Oh and you are going to love the A.R.E. tonneau.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:51 AM
PW01
Posting Guru
Line-X would be my recommendation.

Old 07-01-2004, 07:32 PM
felixdacat76
Junior User
I'd also go with a spray-in, and I definitely second the comment about A.R.E. covers! Do you know which one you're getting? If you're worried about security, get the LS II series that covers the top of your tailgate. Just my $0.02!

Old 07-01-2004, 08:16 PM
xallxforxchristx
Senior User
If you are getting the ARE, then you probably won't have all that much of a problem with rust in the bed. A bedmat would probably do you just fine. I personally have a Rhino in my truck; had a drop in from the dealership before that. When I took the drop in out to sell and get the Rhino, there was a slight case of rust. Nothing all that much though. The spray-in liners are excellent if you plan to really use your truck bed; other than that, you'll probably be just fine getting a quality drop-in or bedmat.

Old 07-04-2004, 07:12 PM
dcraft
New User
I would recommend the line-x spray in liner. The Rhino company is a comparable spray in bed liner product to look at also. I opted to install the "Access Limited Edition" bed cover. It is easy to install, doesn't affect your hauling capabilities. That is my 2 cents.

Dave

Old 07-05-2004, 07:03 AM
felixdacat76
Junior User
Dave,

Welcome to FTE!

Old 07-05-2004, 08:26 AM
willie923
New User
Smile

Thanks everyone for you comments.During the whole week I was looking at everyone's pickup on the road while driving just to see who has what around my area in there beds.Alot of people have dropins,but the other day while walking out of Boaters World into the parking lot I seen a truck with the spray in Rhino he must've just had it done because it looked so new and not at all bad looking.Then I hopped in my truck and pulled out I seen another truck almost the same as mine and a guy was loading fishing roods in the bed.So I pulled over and said, Nice looking truck he said thanks same too you.So what do you have in the bed for protection I asked. He said Rhino had it done three years ago when the truck was new.I got out of the truck and took a look at it and it was'nt that bad at all.It was alittle on the smooth side not the rough at all.He told me that he hauled dirt and mulch sometimes.And it still looked good.Plus he has a soft tonneau cover for some added protection.Then another thing I did'nt really notice was the big gap between the tailgate and the bed floor he had gotten a wide soft seal from Homedepot and stuck it there.I said now" whats this for"?He said that when it rains water comes from underneath and blows up and inside and onto the bed floor which it puddles alittle.He also said ford has a seal that can go there but the weather strip seal he got worked just as well.So then I told him thanks for all the good info and I left with two good thoughts on what to do.I was thinking that putting in a drop-in or a bed matt would most likely or will definitely ruin the bed anyway with scratchs,dents and rust so I mine as well get a lifetime warrenty with something.So I'm thinking on the Spray-in probably the Line-X. I just called One Line-X place about 40 minutes away from me And they said that it will cost about $489 but the only time that I can really do it is on the weekend,he said that he was busy on every Saterday till September.So I might look at another place in my area or take off on a weekday to have it done and then get the Fiberglass Tonneau Cover from A.R.E. the LSII.Is there anyone with the water getting in the bed from the gap between the tail gate and the bed floor?I hope that this is not a big problem now. And I like to say to all Thanks!!! to all for all your suggestions they are all great and same with with site.Oh the truck that I just bought is a 04 F250 Superduty Lariat PSD supercab 4x4.I never drove one and never even test drove one just signed the paper and drove it home after ordering it.Which I just made the last ordering Day of 04's.Great riding truck.

Old 07-05-2004, 03:37 PM
xallxforxchristx
Senior User
Keep in mind also that if the liner shows uv damage or anything, most dealers sell a resurfacing type detergent that restores the shine and makes it look like it was just sprayed in. With a tonneau cover though, uv rays should not be a problem and the liner should look new for years to come. I do not have a cover yet...am looking at one to increase my gas mileage...but have had the Rhino in for about a year. It still looks really good. I find that when you wash your truck, scrub the bed too and it restores look just like the detergent that the dealer sells.

Old 07-05-2004, 07:42 PM
dcraft
New User
The Rhino and LineX bed liners , in my opinion, have better consistency in color and thickness than other brands, including the self applied liners. Here in Virginia, Line X charged me $425.00, that was going through the Ford Dealer where I bought it. That's just to give you a comparison in price. Cheers.

Dave

Old 07-05-2004, 09:20 PM
PW01
Posting Guru
I wanted my Line-X to fade a little, because the trim on my Ranger is a dark gray. I have, however, used a can of Stoner Trim Shine to get it looking new again. I just knelt in the bed and sprayed it on.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:41 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
I have never had a problem with water getting in my bed running a A.R.E Tonneau. But I have a Ranger so it might be different.

Old 07-06-2004, 03:08 PM
willie923
New User
The water was coming in through a 1/4 inch gap at the bottom of the tailgate and the bed floor.You can look through it to the street.But the guy told me that it was just alittle bit of water.I also got more prices on the Line-X.I called 4 places that were about 45 to 60 miles from my house.$489 , $439 ,$435 ,$420.I don't think that there're that bad.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:44 PM
kwanderi
Senior User
I just got Line-x for my 65 F100 with a styleside long box - $325.

Now to try and find what cover will fit. I'm thinking the 65 and 73 beds should be the same size, right?

Old 07-12-2004, 03:22 PM
willie923
New User
Getting my Line-X sprayed in this Saturday.Over the weekend I checked out two places that does it and there both the same.So I'm going to the one in Delaware for $435. Plus its tax free.

Quick Reply: Tonneau cover and Bed protection???