2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVD Rail System, Why only SuperCrew?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 10:40 AM
braindew
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Rail System, Why only SuperCrew?

I just got a 04 SuperCab Lariat with the new rail system. I had a total of two salesmen (one a manager), and two service people tell me that getting the "new" DVD system wouldn't be a problem. Well, when I saw our truck after it was done...it was just another system modified to work (slots cut out, and it didn't even match our interior). I showed them the F150 brochure and said, "This is what we thought we were getting."

They are "researching it' as I write this, but my question is this: Why does the brochure, websight, and Johnson Control sight all say for SuperCrew only? It looks like it would fit fine in our SuperCab. If the Johnson Control Engineer sees this it would be nice to hear from an Engineer (speaking from an Engineer tired of talking with Sales/Marketing types).

Old 06-29-2004, 11:10 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing that makes sense to me is this: they all feel that the rear seat of only the SuperCrew sets back far enough where one could clearly see the screen. It seems to me that either the screen on a Supercab would be right in your face, or you'd have to move it so far forward that it would then be visible to the driver, or the front passengers may hit their heads on the lowered screen in the event of an accident. But that's just my guess.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:17 AM
braindew
New User
I bet it is the head interferance in an accident. The current screen is out of my sight totally and it comes down close to where the rail system version looks like it would come down (going by pictures). But, how come they were willing to intsall another Ford accessory DVD player that would havethe same drawbacks. I am still hoping for the rail DVD player...that is what I was sold on...and what my wife was expecting.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:46 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
braindew

I work for the company that supplies the rail system and dvd ( and overhead system, visors, and seats btw)

i will confirm my answer for you with our team, but i agree that it is probably the packaging. if it was mounted just as far rearward in your scab as would be in a screw, it seems you could add it. i will confirm

however, the dvd is not (yet, quite) available to add as an accessory (currently available only through line item option when ordering a truck) . but we are working on realeasing it and the required harness so it can be ordered through accessories.

the factory dvd is integrated with the radio head adding features that you will not get from an aftermarket product.(like dual source, adn radio control of dvd, dvd control of radio, etc)

i will post on the board as soon as we get the accessories ordering deal complete.

hope this helps

Ramb

Old 07-21-2004, 10:29 PM
jbebko
New User
Can you give a time frame when the Rail System will be sold to the public? I am eager to get the entertainment system for my son but, I do not want an installer to cut/piece together something. I want the factory look...

Thanks

Old 07-22-2004, 05:37 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
The DVD with harness shoudl be available this fall through the accessories catalog.

We did talk with an installer that is presently ordering our dvd's and is making his own harness (ironically, exactly the same as the one we are adding to the dvd for ford accessories) he charges more for this harness but is selling them today. I'll get the company name.

ramb

Old 07-22-2004, 03:46 PM
jbebko
New User
Through which accessories catalog are you referring to?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2004, 08:26 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
Official Ford Accessories catalog. the dealer will have it, and i think you can find the official ford accessoreis catalog on line, but i am not sure. someone here will prolly know for sure.

ramb

Old 07-27-2004, 01:59 PM
braindew
New User
Thanks rambunctious...I forgot to update my situation. I went back to the dealer and the sales manager agreed to write an order slip to swap out the new DVD system with this one that they installed when it becomes available. So, I will definitely be keeping tabs on when this is available. They also said this fall. Funny thing is, they didn't want to do anything for me until I told them to remove the current system (which was not what I was expecting)...but alas, they have drilled a hole in my roof to install this system and they were left with no other choice.