1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

i need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Chevythunder7578
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need help

wow i def do not want to get rid of my old truck especially after seeing koopers beauty... Are there any fellas out there in the NJ area that would be willing to give me a hand starting her up? I would gladly pay a reasonable amount if my truck could start.

This truck stuff aint easy....

Old 06-28-2004, 02:42 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Man ... it's really a shame you can't get your truck started. :/

I'm confident that my dad has the technical expertise to get your truck running again ... but the problem is that he most likely doesn't have the time. Then there's the issue of possibly having to stay somewhere in NJ overnight or make multiple trips. It's unlikely my dad will be able to make the trip and help, but I'll ask him anyway. Somebody has to keep these poor old trucks on the road.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:02 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This truck stuff aint easy....
actually old truck is SO much easier than new..

air, fuel, spark..

pull the plugs, using the starter test compression, gotta have some
before installing plugs again, check that each fires as the engine rotates (ground the base) if not, check coil, points, rotor, and cap.
also, check for #1 Top Dead Center, thumb over the plug hole, feel air escaping on compression stroke. align pointer.. check to see that #1 plug will fire right then.

now you have air and spark.. carb starter fluid should fire it up.
note that you may have to bypass wiring harness with extra wires to get coil powered

once that works, try without starter spray. really should remove and clean carb before even trying anything.. check fuel pump operation, use a cheapy electric for temp, coffee can or such for test fuel tank.

Sam

Old 06-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to find helpers, I suggest joining the local car or truck club. Most members are very knowedgable and willing to help. Annual dues are usually $25-50 per year. Good luck, John

Old 06-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master

Glad you decided to keep the truck!

I'm in Central Jersey, only an hour away from you. I would be glad to help you out possibly on a Saturday if I can.
The only problem is, I have a very full plate at the moment. If you aren't in a hurry, it might work out.

If you must get the truck started within the next few weeks though, we could try to help you some more in here, or maybe one of the other Jersey guys just might be able to get to you faster.
You can check in the Mid-Atlantic chapter forum. There's a few other Jersey guys who posted in the thread titled ......."NJ, What forum?".

Old 06-30-2004, 11:56 AM
Chevythunder7578
Junior User
thanks boss im not in a huge hurry. I was planning on driving it everyday but when i couldnt get it started i bought a ....chrysler lebaron... cheap basic transportation. I would most definetly appreciate your help and I will look into the chapter.