Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Senior User

fordnut74 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking Back from first road trip on SVO!!

Just returned from the Drop Zone show in Salem Oregon, Using nothing but my filtered waste vegetable oil. It was about a 550 mile round trip and I left with a full tank of about 80% SVO 20% diesel, brought 20 gallons of SVO with me, which I added in salem and have a Half tank left when I returned. No problems to report. I also inspected the fuel filter while In Salem and it was nice and clean. Altogehter I spent $18 on the trip, and that was for food and admission. No heating of the oil, no two tanks and switching back and forth, just straight up SVO. For anyone interested I have a few more detailed posts over at ford-trucks.com under the alternative fuel forum.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Posting Guru

farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.
That's good to hear!!
You're not running straight veggie oil, it's a mix with regular diesel? Or you are running SVO and no #2 diesel? You said you had 80% VO and 20% diesel, didn't know if that is the way you always run it or normally have SVO.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Senior User

fordnut74 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I guess WVO might be more accurate at this point. I was running SVO around town for about a tank and a half, until I noticed it losing power above 2500 rpm, and steadily got worse. Come to find out the fuel filter was plugged up with the waxy stuff from the oil. At that point I changed fuel filter, and added 10 gallons of diesel to top off the tank. I then ran about a half tank out of the truck, then topped it off again with wvo before going to salem. this is where I am estimating 80/20 mix. once in salem I was a little below 1/2and added 20 gallons of wvo, so for my return trip I figure I was well under 10% diesel. Filter is still fine. I noticed my mileage appears to be less with the WVO, not that it really matters. I am thinking about breaking the supply fuel line where it runs up the drivers side of the motor and coiling a line around the heater hose several times that drops down straight in front of the motor and running that back to the fuel filter to help prevent coagulation. But for this trip, everything went exactly how I had hoped. I have a much longer trip coming up next week (1500-2000 miles) and do not plan to spend one red cent on fuel.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Posting Guru

farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.
Keep us posted on how it goes, if you can keep it from waxing up your filter and all. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Senior User

TJC1989 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Keep the results coming, Fordnut. Thanks. Many of us are watching, and want to know what effects , if any, the veggie oil is creating.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:49 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
64l, svo