Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Air Bag Light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 09:48 AM
drober41
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Bag Light flashing

Hello,
My Airbag light is flashing 2 - 5 (pretty sure of this but could be 5 - 2). Can anyone tell me what these codes mean? Or even better yet can someone tell me where to get the complete list? I can't find anything on the internet with a list.

Is there a way to clear the code from the computer just to check if it comes back again after clearing?

I'm trying to avoid an expensive visit to the dealer, but I dont plan on working on the air bag system. It would be nice to know what the code means prior to getting to the dealership.

my email is davidr@nc.rr.com or drober41@csc.com during the day.

Thanks Much!
-David

Old 10-24-2002, 10:07 AM
drober41
New User
Air Bag Light flashing

Sorry forgot to give the Vehicle info: 1997 Ford explorer Sport 4WD. Hope that helps some.

Old 10-24-2002, 01:26 PM
Dialtone
Elder User
Air Bag Light flashing

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Oct-02 AT 02:36 PM (EST)]Here is a link to an earlier post for airbag code 27 (Passenger Airbag Disconnect (PAD)lamp circuit failure). Since your code is 25 it may be somewhat related also. To do a quick check, Look at the Passenger side disconnect Switch/lamp assenbly when you turn key on and see if the lamp flashes during airbag test, If it does not, you may also have a fault in the key/and or lamp circuit module.
Although my search did not turn up any specific info on code 25, if my memory servers me correctly, when I was checking out the code 27 (open in lamp circuit) I intentionally shorted the lamp leads and got a code 25

https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/DCForumID107/1509.html

Hope it helps some.
Dialtone

Old 10-24-2002, 02:44 PM
drober41
New User
Air Bag Light flashing

Thanks for the reply, Dial tone. I read through that post and it is probably beyond my ability to do at this point (I don't have alot of automotive repair experience or electronics for that matter), so I will take this in to the dealer. I am going to try and clear the code from RAM tonight by disconnecting the battery for awhile. Is there any other method to do this? I have readsome descriptions of shorting out two wires on some fords, but don't know if that applies here. I'd like to make sure this isn't just some code that needs to be cleared out of memory. If anyone has that procedure for an explorer, I'd love to hear about it.

I am curious why it is so hard to find tables listing the various codes. I looked in a Chilton book earlier today and couldn't find anything about the airbag system codes. Is there anyplace where you can get the entire list of codes? I've been able to find a few codes here and there on various sites like this, but there doesn't seem to be a complete list as far as I can tell.

Old 10-24-2002, 04:20 PM
reberhardt
Elder User
Air Bag Light flashing

I couldn't find any record of a 25 for my '97, but I did find a 52. If it turns out that it is a 52, then it means "lost battery feed, or low battery voltage". Disconnecting your battery will not clear an air-bag code. They are kept in non-volatile RAM in the SRS computer that is located under the front passenger kick panel. The only way to immediately clear it is with a Ford NGS Star Testor or equivalent. Most air-bag LFC "lamp flash count" errors require the error to be fixed for 256 successive self tests. Every time you turn your key on, your SRS computer goes through a self test. If it goes through this test 256 times in a row, the light will be cleared. I set off my air-bag light a while back when I pulled an air-bag fuse out and started up my Explorer with the fuse removed. The light started flashing. When I put the fuse back in, the light continued to flash. I sat in my garage turning my key on and off 256 times to clear the code. I knew there wasn't a problem with mine since all I did was remove the fuse and put it back. You don't have that luxery since you don't know if yours still has a problem or not. It took a couple of hours to clear mine. You would likely just be wasting a couple of hours if your tried turning your key on and off 256 times.

Old 10-24-2002, 04:42 PM
drober41
New User
Air Bag Light flashing

Thats good info to have. I wasn't sure if it was 52 or 25. I'll check that tonight. I assume when you say turn the key on and off you don't mean turning the engine over, right?

Too bad there isn't an easier way to clear it. I was hoping there was a way by shorting out two leads.

Thanks for the info and advice.

Old 10-24-2002, 07:11 PM
reberhardt
Elder User
Air Bag Light flashing

Correct, don't turn the engine over. I ended up disconnecting my emergency fuel pump shut-off connector to stop my fuel pump from cycling each time I turned my key to on. This is not to clear the code, it is just that the SRS computer requires 256 "clean" self-tests before it will clear the code from memory. If yours still has the fault, then this will not clear the code. Only a proper scan tool can clear the code. If the light immediately turns back on after that, then the fault is still there.

Old 10-25-2002, 03:51 PM
Dialtone
Elder User
Air Bag Light flashing

I like you, was unable to find any comprehensive list of Ford SRS codes anwhere on the net. I tried several variations on the search parameters and only fond one or two here and there, but no real Master List. If anyone has found a list, it would be nice to post it or at least a link to it.

As to clearing the code, I can tell you that when I fixed the problem with my code 27, the system cycled normally on the very next key on, cleared the flashing indicator, and went into active mode. There was no lingering problem with clearing what had been set as a fault.

Dialtone

Old 10-25-2002, 04:25 PM
reberhardt
Elder User
Air Bag Light flashing

Some SRS codes seem to get cleared immediately after fixing the problem. I'm not sure which codes are cleared immediately versus 256 clear "self tests". I do know that the code I set by pulling an air-bag fuse under the hood took 256 clear "self tests" before my light went out. My Ford service CD states that most faults require the SRS to see 256 clear "self tests" to be cleared from memory. I got my list of SRS fault codes through my subscription to www.alldata.com. They are also listed on my Ford CD. The list is pretty short for LFCs (about 20 codes) so I don't know if it is complete. Both lists match though.

Old 10-25-2002, 05:24 PM
CNTHOR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Bag Light flashing

Old 11-15-2004, 10:51 AM
tenstar
New User
hey Reber,

can u possibly post your list of codes here, or email them to me? I am currently trying to repair the airbag system on an '02 F150, and the list of codes would be greatly beneficial. Thanks so much!

Last edited by tenstar; 11-15-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:50 PM
waro
Junior User
Unhappy code reading

My airbag light is flashing. My question is how is the procedure to relate number of flashing with a particular code number..??

Old 11-15-2004, 07:23 PM
oshoguno
Senior User
Hi, I posted a bunch of information on this subject a while ago. Here is the link.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...10#post1486110
Good luck

Old 11-15-2004, 07:44 PM
waro
Junior User
Hey Oshoguno, fm Vzla. Thanks for the tip..

Old 11-16-2004, 06:51 PM
oshoguno
Senior User
No problem, Waro, that's what we are all here for.