Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

1998 Explorer radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 12:46 AM
drifter
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1998 Explorer that has an AM/FM/Cassette/CD radio in it and sometimes the display will blank out and then come back on after a while. Is there any "cure" for this? Thanks

Old 10-24-2001, 12:43 PM
plex4r
New User

I had a similiar problem with my 95 Explorer.

The problem was a connector to the power amp in the back
had become corroded. My system has a cassette, cd changer, power amd and a control unit. Sometimes all of the power to
the system would go out for days. The power amp and control unit
are located in the back next to where the sub-wolfer is.

I would clean all of these connections, (plugs into the power amp
and control unit), with a cleaning fluid from Radio Shack, (or also a very light penetrating oil could also help).

Bill.

Old 10-29-2001, 09:04 AM
janj
New User

I have the same problem w/ my 98 xlt am/fm/cass/cd combo.
Sometime when the Explorer start, the display for radio and time does not come on until 5 mins later. Radio is fully functional, just can't tell what station or mode it's in. Happens at different temp. 40 - 80 degrees. Just annoying to me like the other rattles and squeeks. Any suggestions?

Old 11-06-2001, 05:36 PM
DaIronFist
New User

have the same problem with my 98 explorer anyone fixed this?

Old 11-13-2001, 08:20 PM
biglurp
Junior User

I've got the same problem with my wife's 98 Mountaineer with the premium sound (mach 1). works fine but the display comes and goes. Somebody is sure to find the fix for this..Let us kmow!

Old 11-13-2001, 11:33 PM
e_no_g
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Nov-01 AT 00:38 AM (EST)]I had the exact same problem with my cd/cassette/am/fm in my 98. I think it has something to do with the unit being so close to the heater and ac vents. When I would play a cd for a while(hour or so)it was real hot when I would eject it. So maybe the unit gets hot and that causes the display to blank out??? When I installed my new stereo, the dash kit that I got for it had a pocket to make up for the extra space that was left. The pocket is above the stereo blocking it from the vents, and the cds dont get hot anymore.

Old 11-17-2001, 08:34 PM
2002Expy
Junior User

I can't believe Ford is still having problems with this. I had this same problem on my 1993 EB Explorer. I was a test case for Ford and JBL. They send me a total of 4 systems over about 10 weeks. I had to fill out all these forms and stuff, but it was worth it becuase they finally got it right.

It was a problem with the Heater vents being behind the Radio system. The micro-processor would get to hot and shut down. It first happend to me during the first winter. Up untill I traded it in on my 1999, I did not have any more problems. I have not had any problems with my 1999 Explorer (knock...on the desk). They must have added a better heat sink or shield the radio in some way.

Old 11-20-2001, 02:20 PM
biglurp
Junior User

I've had the problem even in the summer with the a\c on. I think there may be two separate problems because the origional cd player in my '98 Mountaineer would get so hot that you could hardly hold the cd's after taking them out (but the display was fine). The dealer replaced it under warrantee, now the new one has been cool but now the display fades in and out. I am now out of warrantee.

Old 01-26-2002, 11:06 PM
Astrodad
New User

I have the same problem with my 99 mountaineer but now it stays blank. Hope someone has a fix, a repair facility, or a replacement to recommend. Thanks, Jerry

Old 02-01-2002, 12:01 AM
drifter
Freshman User

I wrote an email to www.radiosandmore.com about my radio blanking out and got this reply. Was told to contact United Radio Service at 1-800-448-0944 and they could quote me a repair price. They told me it would cost $185 to fix radio. I haven't made up my mind to fix it now or wait till it goes out completely.

Old 02-02-2002, 02:10 AM
rainsinger
New User

I have the same problem myself in my 98 XLT and my mechanic has suggested the following: The display going on and off by itself probably means there is an internal problem in the radio. If you can pull the radio out you can check the 2 or 3 connections at the back and see if they or look closely at the connections and see if any wires look loose..also look at the pins of the connections and
see if any are pushed out or back as all should be snug. When you do get it out leave it connected and pull on the wires and tap on the radio and see if the display comes on and off while tapping on it the display intermittently starts working I would suspect the radio has an internal problem its new radio time.
Hope that helps...

Old 02-02-2002, 02:12 AM
rainsinger
New User

I have the same problem myself in my 98 XLT and my mechanic has suggested the following: The display going on and off by itself probably means there is an internal problem in the radio. If you can pull the radio out you can check the 2 or 3 connections at the back and see if they or look closely at the connections and see if any wires look loose..also look at the pins of the connections and
see if any are pushed out or back as all should be snug. When you do get it out leave it connected and pull on the wires and tap on the radio and see if the display comes on and off while tapping on it the display intermittently starts working I would suspect the radio has an internal problem its new radio time.
Hope that helps...

Old 02-02-2002, 02:13 AM
rainsinger
New User

Hope that helps...

Old 02-06-2002, 04:12 PM
Huggy Bear
Junior User

looks like someone had the hick-ups!

Old 02-06-2002, 08:25 PM
FordFool
Junior User

Go with United Radio. It's worth the $185. They will update everything in the radio with the latest bulletins. They took real good care of me when my front control unit (head unit) completely died. The folks there really know there stuff. I know you can buy a lot of aftermarket for $185 but have fun figuring out compatability, fit, and finish. This way, click in three connectors and slide it in place, done.

Quick Reply: 1998 Explorer radio problem