Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2003, 02:53 PM
New User

Victoria82 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation 1998 Explorer radio problem

Click here to see my original post about repairing the radio display.

I found a guy on eBay who has done thousands of these repairs at his shop up in Pennsylvania. He's charging me $85 which includes return shipping.

His name is George Sipple and you can call him at his shop (814) 454-4516, or check him out on eBay (username: boobonic). His work comes with a 1-year warranty.

When I first posted this, one guy was going to drive his truck over and they said they would fix it while he waited.

Hope this info helps!!
Old 05-21-2003, 03:51 PM
New User

Amanda is starting off with a positive reputation.
1998 Explorer radio problem

By using the "Swap Program" at:
www.shareamemory.com/radio
I was able to get my radio fixed without having to go without the radio. The guy sends you out a board to swap. Once you get it and install it, you send your defective one back to him. It only costs me $79.99 (that's with the $10 refund he sends you once you send your old board into him). He also gave a 1 year warranty and was very helpful. He has a moneyback guarantee, however, I didn't have to worry about that. I'm back to enjoying seeing the station I'm tuned to and the time. Also, my AM radio station reception is clear again (yes, I admit to listening to AM talk radio)...another benefit of his swap program. Hope this helps someone.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:07 PM
New User

Bill & Marcia is starting off with a positive reputation.

I'm the guy that drove to Erie Pa. to have wife's radio repaired. Great service, was back on the road in one hour. Total cost $85.00 plus Pa. sales tax. Great people to work with.

Regards,

Bill W,
Old 05-29-2003, 06:53 PM
New User

jeb07 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I also repaired my radio/cd player with the info from shareamemory.com/. The radio still got to hot so i
installed a small computer style 12volt fan behind
the left side of the radio. I hooked the fan to a bolt
at the back of the firewall. I used the ground and
12 volt from the radio power cable.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:53 AM
Senior User

oshoguno is starting off with a positive reputation.

Are you going to post the info you got from sharememory.com or are you not comfortable with that? This has been discussed in a few threads but to my knowledge nobody has done it yet.

The Headstones
Old 06-01-2003, 01:57 AM
Senior User

kev100 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I had seen that site before they started charging for the "Fix" part.

I had planned to use it...but when I got around to checking back...it had started charging - kinda wish I had printed it the first time.

I've already tried the disconnect/reconnecting of the radio. Nothing. It works fine...you just can't see the LED display so you've just got to remember which button is for what station.

It would be nice to be able to fix it myself, though. Does anyone know another source for the fix info?

THANKS
Old 06-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Senior User

oshoguno is starting off with a positive reputation.

I've removed the display power supply board and resoldered every connection I could. The display now works about 80% of the time. If it goes out on me again I will try again but this time I'll remove the old solder and apply new instead of just melting the existing solder.

The Headstones
Old 06-02-2003, 11:11 AM
New User

Joe K is starting off with a positive reputation.

Common problem--caused by heat; I was told the unit is a very high quality unit made by Panasonic; my dealer wanted $150 just to take it out and look at it, and then send it somewhere to "fix"

That somewhere is likely a local independent auto sound shop--and what he does is what has been alluded to above in previous posts--he resolders most of the unit--and at the same time, he'll give it a good cleaning--you can take it out yourself--I wouldn't tackle the resoldering.

Call around -- these guys are very familiar with the problem and prices will vary. One guy I talked to was doing 50 units a week for local dealers
Old 06-02-2003, 12:49 PM
New User

The guy who is fixing mine had this to say:

"...the main problem with these radios is a poorly designed convertor board. There are specific updates which have to be performed to keep the problem from happening again. Many Dealers were using our repairs as a cash grab...such as the $400.00 you were quoted! That is why we went to the Internet with our repair service. We have serviced thousands @ the $85.00 charge..."

So I'm not quite sure how well resoldering would take care of the problem. A previous post stated you could by the boards and install them yourself. But since I have no skills in that department I thought it much safer to leave it to the pros!

I should have my radio back by Friday, and I'll post back here to let you know how it goes.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:04 PM
New User

Unknown member is starting off with a positive reputation.

Not sure if it's been discussed but this place http://www.videoservicestop.com/pages/1/index.htm does repairs for $97 instead of the $185 fee I read.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:00 PM
New User

Talking 1998 Explorer radio problem

Hey all,

Just thought I'd let you know I got my radio back from Sipple Electronics up in PA and my display is back!

George Sipple was super nice, and fast! ($85 total)

Just email him at grsppl@adelphia.net

So glad that problem's fixed! Now on to the tensioner problem!
Old 06-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Senior User

kev100 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hey Victoria,

Approx how long did the radio take?

Also: (I've got a 98 xlt too - if your's has less than 100K, it is still under warranty for some of the tensioner issues).

Take care.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:25 PM
New User

Lightbulb 1998 Explorer radio problem

It took 4 days to get there via UPS ground (from Texas to Pennsylvania, check UPS.com for delivery times). He fixed it Monday and shipped it back out to me Tuesday, I got it back Thursday via UPS Blue (I requested, cost $10 more).

Check out eBay.com there are a couple other people auctioning off this same repair. Some more $, some less $.

I was very happy with George, he answered all my questions and concerns quickly via email. I'm just so happy to have a display!

On the tensioner thing. Spoke with my dealer, they said my truck has already had that repair done, so I guess it's just some weird noise, I don't know. I have to get it in to have the right rear ball joint replaced, so they can listen for it then. (Except I seem to be the only one who hears it, so who knows, maybe I'm nuts)
Old 06-25-2003, 11:42 PM
New User

Dolemite is starting off with a positive reputation.

Quote:
Originally posted by janj
I have the same problem w/ my 98 xlt am/fm/cass/cd combo.
Sometime when the Explorer start, the display for radio and time does not come on until 5 mins later. Radio is fully functional, just can't tell what station or mode it's in. Happens at different temp. 40 - 80 degrees. Just annoying to me like the other rattles and squeeks. Any suggestions?

I had this problem on my 97 Sport and I fixed it by moving the delay switch on the rear view mirror to the off position.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:42 AM
New User

Amanda is starting off with a positive reputation.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you can get instructions to do the display repair yourself at www.shareamemory.com/radio
And if you are not into the do-it-yourself scene on soldering, you can still purchase a new board at that site to fix your problem...no soldering, just a few screws and use of a needle nose pliers.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:42 AM