Montana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Sailor_Roy

Look out, I'm commin' home

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Bill79Lariat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look out, I'm commin' home

I've decided to move back to Montana. The money I make here in Iowa isn't worth not being around my friends and family. Also Montana one of the most beautiful places on Earth, and Iowa is . . . . bland.

Old 06-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well.... I'll offer an early welcome back, in that case. Since Ive never been to Iowa, I can't say whether I agree its "bland" or not....I'm sure the people born and raised there probably think otherwise...just as those born and raised here think we are the best around.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:22 PM
truckertaz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bill79Lariat
I've decided to move back to Montana. The money I make here in Iowa isn't worth not being around my friends and family. Also Montana one of the most beautiful places on Earth, and Iowa is . . . . bland.

Being born and raised in Iowa I guess its just which end of the barrel your looking down...

Old 06-24-2004, 10:45 PM
MontanaFord
Elder User
i've gone thru iowa...was not impressed by miles and miles of corn fields...i'll take mountains over corn any day...only thing that might call my name time to time is the high prairie desert of eastern montana and the big mulie bucks and them dang speed goats...oh...can't forget coyotes...they're fun to try and talk into easy rifle range, too...i like the mountains, but the prairie seems to put things right into perspective for me...reminds me that i'm not ALL THAT...lol

Michael

p.s. welcome back, Bill...what part of MT ya goin to??

Old 06-25-2004, 02:57 AM
Bill79Lariat
Freshman User
Where ever I can find a job. I've got a good prospect in Helena. I'll be in Great Falls temporarily.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:53 AM
mavinwy
Senior User
My wife was born ad raised in Iowa. As she puts it "(she) left because it was all the same"

As she did RAGBRAI several years running, she has seen most of the state from the seat of a bycicle. I am going to guess she knows We go back to visit the family, but that is about it.....

Welcome back to the west

Jim

(who's idea was it that anything east of the Mississippi River is in the "midwest" anyway)

Old 06-25-2004, 09:02 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Des Moines area is somewhat bland, especially in comparison with Montana. You would have probably felt more at home around Dyersville or Dubuque, or in the NW part. Sorry, no real mountains around here, though. Southern Missouri is more like what you likely are used to seeing, but I doubt the moneys that great there either. I spent the past 8 years prior to moving here in South Dakota, started at the foothills of the southern Black hills, then north of Highmore, then east of Huron, and I loved all of it, but the hills were my favorite, of course. Alot of people complained that the plains of Eastern SD were boring, but I just say it depends upon what you're looking at, because the landform is constantly changing, but you have to be paying attention.As you head west out of De Smet, you start to go downhill fromm one plateau, and up the next. There is a long hill range there, but you can only see it from a distance, because when you're on it it is quite subtle. The Wessington hills SW of Huron were more dramatic. I had worked in Wessington Springs for a bit, and I could see the grain towers in Huron on a clear day, about 35 miles. Try that in Iowa!!!

Old 06-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good to have ya coming back! I'm not much for finding jobs, there are lots of good paying technical jobs here. If you are a mechanic or skilled in anything other than fast food you can make some decent money....

I have a pretty good job for somebody with no actual experience at anyting that I can prove.... there aren't a lot of typing jobs, and I'd hate to do that anyway. I have a lot of experience criticizing people, nobody is hiring for anything like that though.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are into home or highway construction, come to Kalispell....might as well...every danged body else is. This town is exploding with growth.
I was born and raised here...I can't begin to explain how much the beautiful Flathead Valley has changed...some for the good, some the bad...depending on which end of the barrel you are looking from.

Oh, plan on spending a bundle for a home. My townhouse has doubled in price since we first bought it.

Old 06-27-2004, 01:29 PM
MontanaFord
Elder User
i was born'n'raised here too...i still remember where a number of the old hay fields were, instead of the houses that are there now...i don't like it, but everything's gotta change sometime...i know that i get a piece of the pie every time somebody wants a fence built...and that's probably in the neighborhood of 20-25 fences a week that we finish up and collect on...

Michael