Computer Chips & Tuners  

Superchips 6.0 Microtuner Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 10:50 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Superchips 6.0 Microtuner Thread

Superchips introduces the much anticipated Microtuner for 2003-2004 Ford 6.0L Powerstrokes!

Superchips performance programming in an easy to install hand held tuner!

There's no need for tools, no need to access the ECU. Tuning the vehicle is simple and straight forward. The Ford Micro Tuner by Superchips Inc. is of a true plug and play design.

Three Power Settings
80 HP / 120 FT LBS (Towing)
120 HP / 180 FT LBS (Economy, light towing)
150 HP / 225 FT LBS (Performance, light towing)

Other features
Transmission tuning is included for all power settings. Quicker, more precise shifts, higher shift points, firmer shifts, raised downshift points. No more "nosing over" before, during and after the shift.

Go here to purchase:
http://www.motorhaven.com/customer/home.php?cat=218

(Note to our existing Diablo Predator customers: Diablo is putting out an update real soon, you won't be disappointed. I believe both products from each company will be great and we'll be doing a head-to-head review after the update.)

Vic has worked something out with us in the way of semi-sponsorship, so he may be (and is welcome) commenting on any replies/questions.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:28 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Superchips and eBay resales of used units...

Ken,
thanks for the point about the Diablo !
was just counting my change in the center console to see if I could upgrade

And glad the Superships is out... now Diablo and Superchips can fight for our programmer business by improving both units

I am not trying to start an argument, just trying to get the facts so our FTE freinds can make the best decision about which to buy from Motorhaven, the Diablo or Superchips. in fact Ken, if you feel this is not a legitimate question for here, please move it to the proper place.
Just wondering if Superships will continue to restrict those that try to resell their used units on ebay ?
I know of a few incidents where some was selling their Microtuner because they sold their truck, ebay was threatened by Superchips, ebay had to pull the ad

We all need to consider resale... we do it for our homes, why not with this ?

Old 04-28-2004, 11:04 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Superchips only restricts dealers from selling on eBay. If they got someone else, it was probably by mistake. Diablo has the same policy (and hired out to service to do it for them).

Old 04-28-2004, 11:10 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Ken...And a good policy it is for dealers!!!
I WANT them both around to keep modifying and improving their products !

I guess my buds predicaments were just mistakes... even though the ads said used... They didn't have any problem selling it elsewhere... but the ebay thingy was a shocker

Old 04-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This issue was not with selling on e-bay...
The issue was dealers (at the WD level) selling below the minimum authorized price on e-bay and undercutting regular dealers.

Ken.....I like the tone of this thread, and I can't wait until people start the head-to-head comparison.
It will result in diesel tuning thats better for everyone.

Of course I believe the product I did the research and tuning on is superior, and it IS the most powerful tune available right now...but the consumer will ultimately decide what is best for them.

I'm REALLY **** (beyond ****) when it comes to power and part-throttle drivability, and am always open to the possibility of improvement no matter how good the program is.

The three programs in the tuner are distinctly different, and each has a complete transmission program suited to the powerband produced by the engine file.
I'm going to the track soon to get some before and after ET's =o)

Old 04-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
The magic date for flashes is 9/29/03.
If you have a flash earlier than this, you need to update your flash before using the tuner.

Also, this is a bit weird and out of sequence on Fords part:
DAX1 processors will need to be updated to DAX0.
DAX1 still uses pilot injection and these stock files are a serious problem.
If you have a PCM labeled DAX1 (PCM is wedged between battery and driver side fender), please check your records and make sure you have been updated to a DAX0 or another code other than DAX1.

Old 04-28-2004, 02:53 PM
macvtt
Junior User
What happens if you run with a flash older then 9/29/03?

Old 04-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
The tuner will tell you to go to the Ford dealer for an update when you plug it in and attempt to program it.
This will not require the tuner to come to superchips. You will simply need to take your truck to Ford to have the latest flash installed.
Once you get back home, you can install our tuning!

Old 04-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Skipped_link
Elder User
I'm not to familiar with these tuners, and was wondering, if you have a problem with the truck and it has to go back to the dealer for warrenty work can the stock program be loaded back into the truck and if it can, can the dealership tell if the truck has ever been reprogramed? also is superchips willing to back you if ford wants to void your warrenty because you reprogramed the truck?
sorry for all the questions, I would just like to have my ducks in a row before buying something I know little about,

Old 04-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
The tuner will give you the ability to set the truck back to stock at any time. It will restore whatever program was in the truck before you plugged our product in. Codes will be erased (not just hidden, but erased) so there will be no way they can tell tuning was installed.

We aren't pushing these things too hard.....boost is still reasonable and EGT's are low.
The tuning will not cause a failure in the vehicle (this has been tested extensively), and should you ever have an issue with your truck....ALWAYS restore the stock program before going to the dealer.
If you follow this procedure, you will not have any warranty issues.

There were some serious problems with the 6 Liter (especially initially, so Ford has seen a number of failures in stock trim). If a trip to the dealer is necessary for any reason, ALWAYS return the truck to stock first.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Skipped_link
Elder User
Thanks for the quick reply, and answering all my questions,

Old 04-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
I see that the 1704 model for the 6.0 will not correct for different tire sizes or gear ratio like some of the other Superchips tuners. Will this feature be added in the future? If so, will it be a free flash upgrade to the unit? It would be nice if Superchips had some horsepower and torque curve charts out like they do for the 7.3, are there any available?

Old 04-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
twintritons-
The charts will be available soon.
It's too early to tell with the gear and tire options.

The charts are really impressive.....some of the offpeak gains are even higher than the advertised peak gains. It's simply a ridiculous gain in power =o)

Old 04-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
Thanks for the fast reply. I look forward to seeing the charts, it looks like the tuner did wonders with the 7.3. I like the fact that the tuner is optimized for each different ECU. The DTC (diagnostics trouble codes) reading capabilities of this unit is the same as a standard code reader, correct?

Old 04-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Correct....it can check and clear all DTCs and automatially clears them after flashing.

The 7.3 tuning is really great, but a tuned 6.0 literally walks all over a tuned 7.3
The gains on the 6.0L are much bigger (and the 6.0 makes more power stock to begin with)
I'm talking about big tire smoking burnouts =o)
Gains in the 1/4 mile of 3-4 seconds reportedly....this is HUGE.
I'm going to get some numbers for myself soon, so I know I performed a controlled test.

How much do people go through for 1/2 second or even a few tenths?

Quick Reply: Superchips 6.0 Microtuner Thread