General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

clearing land to build new home - Need your expertise !

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 08:41 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
clearing land to build new home - Need your expertise !

Hi,
the property we are building on has been THICK forest for years and years !
60 to 80 foot tall trees so thick we could barely walk thru there...

Had them clear out all 3 inch and smaller trees and the underbrush so we could get thru there...

Then went thru and marked all dead, or smaller trees to thin it out...
STILL real thick - trees within 10 feet of ech other that the canopy will probably stop even St Augustine from getting enough sunlight...

Shade here in north Texus is a GOOD thing, but I want to have grass.... so:

1) Is there a grass that will cover well even in this much shade ?
2) What do I do about those horrific thorn vines that are everywhere ?
they've cut the bottom of most and said once dried they will pull out the tops.. what can I do to keep the roots from developing more vines ?
3) The area has been under trees for SO long that the dirt in the backyard is almost like mulch.... so soft you sink when you walk across it...
Sandy loam at it's best !

4) they did scrap out the pad site and it's hard there, but I'm not sure what to do for the backyard...

I know, it's a nice problem to have ---- just wanted some of your experienced opinions and TIA !

Old 06-24-2004, 09:01 AM
biggreen78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't answer that question directly, but just to add my .02
If u plan a deck, leave a tree or two and build it around them. I've always liked the look of modern architecture wrapped around nature....the two seem to go together
cite works of Frank Lloyd Wright as example....good luck--Matt

Old 06-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, you have my dream home, all woods and no people to look at 20 ft away. Vines and thorns can be killed with sprays , but to kill the roots, dig em' out deep. They have all kinds of grass seeds suitable for shady areas at your local garden supply, just dont expect golf course grade growth around them. One note , when building in heavy woodlands two items come to my mind, tree root investation in to your septic system and in to your foundation. Also , we have a lot of storms here, and we see the occasional 80 tall trees crash thru people living rooms, dont know if that would be a concern where your building site is. I would say good luck to you, but it looks like you already have been smooched with it.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Bruin52
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just about every grass seed maker had developed a breed to work in shade. Your local retailer should be able to guide you by finding one that best fits your needs. You can also landscape the shaded areas by using hostas (which will bloom and love the shade) and ferns. That will enhance the "forest appeal" and fit in naturally. Also, with the years of decaying leaves and such that makes up your soil, anything you do plant there should really come on strong. If you're transplanting, give the newly relocated plants time to adjust to their new habitat as it will appear that they're dying, but after a few days they'll adjust to the soil and really start growing. Also, check out HGTV or DIY on T.V. or online. They can guide you on what will work best in your area. Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:34 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
WOW ---
So many replies in so little time !!! Thanks, gentlemen !

Yep - feel real fortunate to have found this place in the middle of the metroplex...
140' x 350' is not "property" , but it's more than enough for me and much more than I want to maintain , but the kids and the dogs will LOVE it !

Already thought of the idea of a bench/sitting area around a partcular set of trees... my bro-in-law has a 30 x 50 ft area around a 200 yr old oak and it is unbelievable !

Good idea on the Hostas and ferns - will make it easier to learn that new zero turning radius mower without having wrecks with trees too often and I like the look of them too !

now digging up the roots will be a tough deal with that much to do - I'm tired already just thinking about that :-)

keep the ideas comin !

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 06-24-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Lime, lime and more lime - get that PH up to normal.

Good news about the homeplace, John!

Old 06-24-2004, 11:52 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Well, if your contractor were from my area, he wouldn't hesistate in clearing the ENTIRE lot. The idiots love to do that in NC where trees are VERY plentiful.

As far as grass goes. I have several areas that are full shade and I've yet to find a grass variety that will survive.

Old 06-24-2004, 12:19 PM
peppy
Postmaster
Tordon works pretty well for woody vegitation. I hate those thorny vines too. Read up before you decide to use it. Its got enough bad points too.
http://www.dowagro.com/label/index.htm
http://www.dowagro.fr/au/prod/t_gwbh.htm

Old 06-24-2004, 03:46 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
We have something in GA they call monkey grass that seems to do very well. As for the vines with thorns, I believe they are a form of wild rose and all you can do is just keep cutting them back.

I do urban tree removal (I like to do it before the tree hits the house) and usually any tree covered in vines or ivy is a prime tree to fall over without warning unto a house. I would remove any tree within falling distance of the house unless a professional arborist came in and declared the tree good. A core sample might be a good option.

Where ever that bull dozer drove, if there is a tree within 20 feet it is most likely going to be sick later because the top roots have been compacted. So, I would remove anything within 30 feet of the foundation while it is easy to do.

Do not use sprays to kill weeds and such. Just get out there and cut and cut and plant grass. Sooner or later it will die off and the grass will take over. There is suppose to be something callaed Zsoria grass that will grow anywhere. No sure on the spelling. One thing that seems to do well is clover, though it is kind of like a weed.

One thing you might do is encourage birds and bats to live on your property with some houses and kill the squirrels. It will take down the insect population quite a bit.

Old 06-24-2004, 04:49 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm trying to grow grass under trees right now. 2 things I've noticed:
1. The grass under trees needs more water - even after a rain. It's compteting with the tree and the tree is like an umbrella.
2. I've read to try doubling the dose of fertilizer under trees. Again the trees are competing with the grass for the same nutrients. Feed them both.

Old 06-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rebocardo
Do not use sprays to kill weeds and such. Just get out there and cut and cut and plant grass. Sooner or later it will die off and the grass will take over.
That is also what most botanists and agriculturists recommend. It makes the healthiest lawns/meadows/pastures.

Good post, rebocardo.

Old 06-24-2004, 07:36 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Thanks again...
when out there at noon today and again after 5 to see the sun pattern....
and it looks like it gets SOME sun at noon and filtered sun after 4 or so.... so I'm thinking this might just be enough to help st augustine go and enough shade to keep the Texus sun from burning it up :-)

All we can do is try it :-)
Has anyone REALLY tried the Zoysia grass... have heard about it for years, but never knew anyone that tried it...

Old 06-24-2004, 08:46 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Has anyone REALLY tried the Zoysia grass... have heard about it for years, but never knew anyone that tried it...
from central Alabama...
my neighbor across the street used Emerald Zoysia. His lawn looks great and it gets moderate to mostly shade.
I am soon to redo my front lawn and use the same.
I hear Z-52 Zoysia is good for shaded areas as well. One tolerates more shade than the other but i can't remember which one???

Old 06-24-2004, 09:39 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Thanks "Brain"....
you're the first I've hear dof that actually has seen it more than in the catalogs....
Have a good source for it ????